Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Superformance vs Kirkham (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/91820-superformance-vs-kirkham.html)

henryr 09-28-2008 06:11 AM

Superformance vs Kirkham

hey guys, i have been looking at getting a kirkham but given the economy i am a little hesitant about spending $100k+/- on what is essentially a toy.

i have seen some nice looking superformance cars (albeit glass) in the low high $40k's (i guess 351 cars) and up for the 427s and such.

can anyone comment on the difference in "the feel" in regards to driving one vs a aluminum car (if any) ???

i found a local car in atlanta. nicely done, blue on black with 4k on a built 351. most of the "correct" type options u would want. he is asking $42k. what is the market on these things ?

thx

ZOERA-SC7XX 09-28-2008 06:24 AM

Lots of SPF's for sale...gotta tell you something. Maybe go with ERA, they are quite true to the original concept as far as looks and driving and are a high quality product at way less $$ than an aluminum car. Good luck.

ENTDOC 09-28-2008 07:04 AM

to try and stick to your question, you will find very little difference in driving the two. the Kirkham is lighter and almost always has a big block in it but the SPF is a great car and is very predictable. Unless you really appreciate the original concept, the SPF is money well spent. I would advise staying with a stroked small block if you go with a SPF

Great Asp 09-28-2008 07:18 AM

One of the big differences is the aluminum body for the Kirkham, vs fiberglass for the Superformance.

But there are many differences. I think the Kirkham car is a much more "correct" car, like the originals. Chassis, and battery location, etc...

If you want the original look of a 427SC, and then of course a big block FE motor, then I would go Kirkham. (Money not withstanding :o).

If the aluminum body and "more original" look are not important than buy the Superformance.

I assume you are only looking at used cars right?

E

trularin 09-28-2008 07:26 AM

Stainless steel and Aluminum versus what all of us other people have.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

eschaider 09-28-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trularin (Post 884202)
Stainless steel and Aluminum versus what all of us other people have.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Plus gorgeous billet parts, a near jewelry like appearance when you look at the brand new item and a fair but significant tick up in price for the stunning looks and authenticity.

You will love either one they are both great choices! In the end it is a matter of budget.

Ed

HI Cobra 09-28-2008 10:45 AM

If you are in a hurry and have budget constraints, like others have said the
SPF is an excellent choice. If you can wait and continue to save, a deal on
a Kirkham just might come your way. I waited and looked for a few years
and was rewarded with a most excellent deal for under $70k. I couldn't be
happier and have had offers for a lot more than I paid but this one is a keeper
for me.

olddog 09-28-2008 11:31 AM

Dave Kirkham and some of his employees hangs around on this site quite a bit. He runs poles now and then to see what the Cobra nuts like and dislike. He and his employees have given me tips and answered questions when I had probems, and I do not own a Kirkham. I have talked with Kirkham owners, as well. You could not deal with a better company or people. I do believe a Kirkham sets the standard that all other replicas are compared to. Even above a Shelby continuation in my mind.

I personally think that someday in the future Kirkhams will be collectable cars fetching prices near (2/3 to 3/4) an original's price. I don't think many other replicas will be able to hold the value that a Kirkham will hold, and there are some superb replicas out there, as mentioned in this thread.

I think Kieth Craft teamed up with Dave to sell a few turn key cars. I recall thinking the price was quite reasonable considering what you were getting. You should check into this. Buy the way, Kieth is also always on this site helping others, as the Kirkhams do. You couldn't go wrong with these two.

In the end it is the money. I personally could not swing this type of money without giving up retirement, but if I could, there is no doubt, it is what I would do.

cobra crazee 09-28-2008 01:12 PM

I own a Superformance and I love my car. If I had the money the Kirkham would definately be my choice of upgrade. Beutiful car and very nice and kind hearted people who done alot to help our community.

eschaider 09-28-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 884266)

... You could not deal with a better company or people. I do believe a Kirkham sets the standard that all other replicas are compared to. ...

+Many

The Kirkhams set the Gold Standard.

Ed

bnewell 09-28-2008 01:27 PM

I have owned both and must say that they are both awesome cars.......you can't go wrong with either. But I do find myself not driving KMP297 as much as I thought I would......seems like it is always more convenient to jump in another car for some reason........mine seems to be more of a garage art than anything else!!

Brian

Keithc8 09-28-2008 01:46 PM

What to Buy

I have had both and sell both. If you can afford the Kirkham you can not go wrong. I like to go to a show and have the only car there like it. There are so many fiberglass cars you are just another one in the crowd and most people can not tell what you have. With a Kirkham you are instally diferent from the crowd.
I drive both quite regularly and the Kirkham is the better driving and riding car. You would expect this with the price of the car. When you have custom built billet aluminum suspension and other components that are the latest design this is what you get, a great riding and handling car.
Do you want a more mass produced car or a more limited hand built car. The Kirkham cars will be going up in price very soon and this will help the value of the current cars. It comes down to money and what you want to spend.
We have some great deals on both cars. Thanks, Keith Craft

ztarum 09-28-2008 01:59 PM

I bought a Superformance new and I do like it, but if I had it to do over again I would buy used for sure. Lots of cars available for good prices. Used Kirkhams can now be had for not much more than a new well specified SPF.

You might even consider buying a used SPF (low to mid 40's) and see how you like it. Drive it for a year or two until you are sure you are a cobra guy. Then sell it and buy the Kirkham of your dreams. You may loose a few dollars on the SPF, but it will be a whole lot cheaper than building a Kirkam and selling it a year later at a big loss because it isn't for you.

Anyway, good luck on your decision.

Jimbocobra 09-28-2008 02:34 PM

Consider a used Backdraft. The debate between Superformance and Backdraft long and opinionated, but they are great cars at any price.

FUNFER2 09-28-2008 03:01 PM

If all I had to do is save some money for a couple of years, for a Kirkham, it's a no brainier. I would even feel better going with them, versus Shelby.
I just posted on another thread, that a Kirkham is my dream car, even over a
F-50 Ferrari.

There's nothing,... that can beat a good old American muscle car like the Cobra. It has it's own personal, muscle's on steroids shape, and sound, that everyone knows, even children. Either would be a good car. If I had the choice between the two, it's the Kirkham ! :cool:

henryr 09-28-2008 05:00 PM

i guess i'll just hang around for a nice used kirkham to pop up. thanx guys.

henryr 09-28-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HI Cobra (Post 884261)
If you are in a hurry and have budget constraints, like others have said the
SPF is an excellent choice. If you can wait and continue to save, a deal on
a Kirkham just might come your way. I waited and looked for a few years
and was rewarded with a most excellent deal for under $70k. I couldn't be
happier and have had offers for a lot more than I paid but this one is a keeper
for me.

i saw the ebay auction on that car. buy of the century. you should have played the lotto that week. :)

Lew Ledyard 09-28-2008 06:17 PM

I love my Kirkham. I am definitely biased. They look different, so make sure that you get the look that you like. After looking at all of the differences between the two cars, the Kirkham was what I really wanted.

JWilly 09-28-2008 06:28 PM

The Kirkham is w/o question the standard of the industry and I have not heard one bad syllable uttered about doing business with the Kirkhams. When I was looking for my snake I strongly considered a Kirkham. I wanted a car that would live up to the Cobra legend and one I could drive the dickens out of. In short, the aluminum body is just not for me. I purchased a new SPF and it was the right decision for me. I expect to keep it a long time (it is really not an investment for me, it's to drive). If I ever do consider an upgrade, Kirkham is the only one I would consider beyond the SPF.

henryr 10-01-2008 08:03 AM

well (due to this thread) i received about 20 inquiries on SPF's for sale and about 5 kirkhams. i guess that tells you something.