Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF# 2560
Not Ranked     
Default Sheared off lower ball joint

A bad thing happened today. I was Autocrossing and the lower ball joint
sheared off and then the upper ball joint pulled out (left front). The
wheel (wheel, rotor, hub) came off and did a lot of damage to the body.

Has anyone had this happen? Not looking forward to get a price to repair the body work.

Thanks,

KenM 2560
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     

sorry to hear that. were you in atwater?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Keep us posted. -- weld failure >?
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was running in Marina.

The lower ball joint stud sheared off. The remainder of the stud and the nut are still in the spindle. I talked to Dennis today and he has never seen that happen before. He is checking on it.

Not as worried about the parts as the body. The parts can be replaced, don't know what it's going to take for the body.

Thanks,

Ken M 2560
Old 06-09-2008, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

It is entirely possible that the loading of the front suspension while in a turn caused it (the lower control arm) to exceed the design angle of movement causing it it fracture? Otherwise you would have had to impact something with the tire/wheel to create a shearing force (unlikely). Did it fracture right next to the "ball"?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default parts information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm4187 View Post
I was running in Marina.

The lower ball joint stud sheared off. The remainder of the stud and the nut are still in the spindle. I talked to Dennis today and he has never seen that happen before. He is checking on it.

Not as worried about the parts as the body. The parts can be replaced, don't know what it's going to take for the body.

Thanks,

Ken M 2560
Ken, I am sorry to here about your accident, and hope you were not injured. please forward pictures to myself so we can help you with a answer for the failure. Body parts and suspension parts are available through your selling dealer or you can contact Superformance. I can also refer you to qualified body shops to assist you.

Barry Bloch
General manager Superformance LLC.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Ball joints just don't break! It's possible that there was a whole bunch of defective ball joints in their production run. I hope the company (SPF) investigates this problem and identifies who else may be in jeopardy. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pictures

This should be a link to the pictures I posted. First time so I hope it works.
http://photobucket.com/kenm2560
I was almost going straight and I did not run into anything. Honest, this was not driver error. It was not binding when checked the day before.

Thanks everyone for the concern, I am ok, just upset about what happened. Working to get the car running for the next event.

Thanks,

Kenm2560
Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I'm no metalurgist, but I've seen failures like that in aircraft parts. The just flat assed failed. It looks like the sheer load exceeded the capacity of the material. That means that either the heat treat was missed or insufficient or that the forging alloy was wrong. I'd be more inclined to look at the heat treat.

At least I'm glad you weren't hurt..

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Ball joints just don't break! It's possible that there was a whole bunch of defective ball joints in their production run.
That's a pretty bold statement to make for one incident being reported, especially when the driver admitted to driving the car hard.

Ken, sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope things get patched up quick so you can be back on the road!

-Dean
Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Ken, get it patched before the 21st of June. I'd like to hear about it first hand at breakfast.........Where ever it's going to be..........

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2813, Roush 427SR/TW
Not Ranked     

Yea, pretty bold statement. Like you Dan, I have some pretty extensive experience in the airline/aircraft industry. I know of at least one instance where the nose gear on an MD-80 failed. Boeing/MD just said that it looked like metal fatigue and appeared to be an isolated incident. It has not happened since, to my knowledge, and no service bulletins were posted either. Sometimes things just happen based on the series on events that precluded it.

Neither the airline or the manufacturer were found to be at fault and it was determined by the FAA to be an "unexplainable isolated incident of metal fatigue".

Just glad you are safe (as were all of the pax).
Old 06-10-2008, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfgm View Post
Ken, I am sorry to here about your accident, and hope you were not injured. please forward pictures to myself so we can help you with a answer for the failure. Body parts and suspension parts are available through your selling dealer or you can contact Superformance. I can also refer you to qualified body shops to assist you.

Barry Bloch
General manager Superformance LLC.
--Very cool Barry!!! NOW THAT IS SERVICE!!
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

If you look at the 009.jpg picture you can tell that this condition has existed for some time. The final failure happened when the dark gray area failed. The lighter gray area had been cracked for some time. It appears to me that it failed right at the transition to the threads. Is that correct?

And don't feel bad. The chances are that a casual inspection would not have indicated the condition so you did not do anything wrong

I would recommend that all ball joints be replaced. Could have been a bad batch. or an isolated condition.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have not taken out the part of the ball joint stud that is still in the spindle yet. I don't think it is right at the transion.

There were no signs of the problem, I checked the car over pretty good. Just put the shock back on and eveything looked ok. I agree all the ball joints should be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
If you look at the 009.jpg picture you can tell that this condition has existed for some time. The final failure happened when the dark gray area failed. The lighter gray area had been cracked for some time. It appears to me that it failed right at the transition to the threads. Is that correct?

And don't feel bad. The chances are that a casual inspection would not have indicated the condition so you did not do anything wrong

I would recommend that all ball joints be replaced. Could have been a bad batch. or an isolated condition.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM2006 FE & Toploader
Not Ranked     

Have you looked at the possibility that the upper joint failed first causing the break at the lower joint and tie rod as wheel snaped back? Just a thought, but if the lower joint was tight and correct taper it should not have sheared like that. The start of the threads should be higher on the stud, so the tapered sholder is what is contacting the spindle hole.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 429CI
Not Ranked     

In my opinion there's no way that part should have failed even with the most severe duty. I believe that if you were to check the hardness of the part you will find that it was either heat treated improperly or that during use lubrication wasn't able to get to the part and it work hardened and failed. If this was a part that was supposed to be "lifetime lubricated" I think a lack of or insufficient lubrication from the very beginning is your culprit. If you have access or live close to a metallurgical (SP) lab I would have them perform an analysis to find out for certain what the cause was.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasmike View Post
Yea, pretty bold statement. Like you Dan, I have some pretty extensive experience in the airline/aircraft industry. I know of at least one instance where the nose gear on an MD-80 failed. Boeing/MD just said that it looked like metal fatigue and appeared to be an isolated incident. It has not happened since, to my knowledge, and no service bulletins were posted either. Sometimes things just happen based on the series on events that precluded it.

Neither the airline or the manufacturer were found to be at fault and it was determined by the FAA to be an "unexplainable isolated incident of metal fatigue".

Just glad you are safe (as were all of the pax).
You bet it's bold. I'm an FAA rated mechanic and an NDT (X-ray, mag particle, FPI,) inspector for a major jet engine manufacturer in CT., and when there's a metal failure, it's investigated.
Maybe it's just a car, but I would not want it to be mine. I agree with the statements regarding heat treat and general manufacturing quality. These parts are made to survive a vehicle lifetime and usually wear out before failing in the field. Maybe if the car hit a concrete abutment or a sinkhole would it shear, but not under normal driving conditions. I wonder who the manufacturer was? If I had an SPF Cobra, I'd change all four ball joints and replace with Moog parts.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2813, Roush 427SR/TW
Not Ranked     

Yea, I think it's important to find out what happened and maybe test some of the failed parts from the same batch before running out and causing mass panic. One incident won't cause that, but it's still important to know what happened, if for no other reason than personal knowledge.

Now, if the incident does not end up being an isolated event...
Old 06-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm4187 View Post
I have not taken out the part of the ball joint stud that is still in the spindle yet. I don't think it is right at the transion.

There were no signs of the problem, I checked the car over pretty good. Just put the shock back on and eveything looked ok. I agree all the ball joints should be replaced.
You are correct, it's not at the transition to the threads. I was at work this morning when I resonded and was in a hurry. I just went back and looked at your pictures again, and I will however stand by my comment that the final failure occured at the dark gray area. The light gray area had fractured at some time in the past.

Unfortunately my work days just went from 12 hours to 14 for at least the next few weeks. Hopefully I will have this Sunday off. If so, if no other engineer has chimed in by that time I will take a couple of your pictures and point out some things to you.

If time allows I will have one of our stress engineers at work take a quick look at a couple of your pictures and see if he agrees with my analysis.