Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     
Default Ran out of gas last week

Well, I now know that the 1/8 mark on my gas gauge means EMPTY on my SPF!

My brother and I were in San Jose and had just left my cousin's house. Just has he tapped on the gas gauge and said "don't forget to get gas", the engine shut down. Luckily, there was a gas station right across the street from the parking lot that we coasted in to.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     

Doug,

I must admit, I've been close a couple of times (I think), but thankfully, I have never actually ran out...you were lucky to be so close to a gas station!

Your post has prompted me to ask the question....how difficult is it to calibrate the gas guage? Is it worth the effort??

Regards....Paul
Old 08-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidelberg View Post
Doug,

I must admit, I've been close a couple of times (I think), but thankfully, I have never actually ran out...you were lucky to be so close to a gas station!

Your post has prompted me to ask the question....how difficult is it to calibrate the gas guage? Is it worth the effort??

Regards....Paul
Good question Paul. Hopefully one of the resident experts will weigh in. I usually don't let it go below a quarter of a tank...I think I'll return to that practice.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I have found that it usually takes 13 to 14 gallons when the gauge reads a 1/2 tank.

Not much gas in that last half of a tank.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Thats ok Doug...I coasted into a bar during a local cruise last week...almost called a tow truck until I found the blade off my negative coil wire attached but the wire hanging.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

The gas gauge is a rough estimate on these things. I zero out my trip at fillup. I don't like to go much over 150 miles before fill up. Some of you guys with big blocks probably have a lower number. Haven't run out yet.

Jack
Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

My Smiths gauge goes really, really slow from full to the half way mark, then stays there for a while, then drops really, really fast to the empty mark. It's better than nothing, but I rely on my odometer. Basically what I do is try and fill it up when the odometer hits 100 and under no circumstances go past 150 miles. Although in theory I could go 200 miles on a full tank of gas.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Legendary Autos, 427 SC
Not Ranked     

I calibrated mine to read empty with about 2 gals remaining. All fuel pick up are resistive. I put another resiste in parallel and played with differennt ones until I was happy. Know any electrical engineers or ham radio guys. they would help you out
Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Gas in a Cobra

I calibrated mine to read empty with about four gallons remaining. I don't watch the gauge like I should.
I did get 21 mpg till I bought more horsepower, now I get 17 mpg.

Dwight
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrupa2 View Post
Thats ok Doug...I coasted into a bar during a local cruise last week...almost called a tow truck until I found the blade off my negative coil wire attached but the wire hanging.
Our local Cobra club went to an event a couple of weeks ago and when I tried to start my car it would barely turn over. I stopped for gas before heading over the mountains to my house and I didn't think the car was going to start. When I got home, I decided to start by inspecting the battery. The negative terminal was barely attached. I tried to tighten it and noticed that it had cracked. I replaced the cable end and everything was right as rain.

Sounds like the (wise) consensus is to use the odo and hit the gas station based on mileage.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

On my SPF (642) when the Autometer gauge gets to the 3/4 mark I figure I'm half empty. When I get to 1/2 a tank it's time to fill-up.

Bob
Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing BDR144
Not Ranked     

I adjusted my Autometer fuel level sending unit and have had good results. I had mine stick a few years ago and it was not accurate either, so I found some instructions from Autometer that I used to properly adust the float level and cured the sticking problem while I had the tank out of the car. There have been no problems since, and I have not run out of gas.

Here is the link to the instructions.

http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/421B.pdf

Hope this helps,
Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default How much gas??

Doug,

Ok, you ran it dry. So, how many gallons did you get in the tank?

That last 1/4 tank moves awfully fast. I don't think I've put more than 13 or 14 gallons in when I thought I was empty.

What was your final amount?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-Ford Performance Solutions 533 BB
Not Ranked     
Red face Gas by the mile

I get about 11MPG with my 533 BB Ford (I don't speed, I just get to the speed limit in an AWFULLY big hurry lol). My gauge hits Empty when it has 2 1/2" of gas depth in an 8" deep 19 gallon tank and registers just over 3/4 tank when full to the brim. This winter I'll pull the tank and adjust it, but for now I'll fill up by 150miles on the odometer...

Overdrive coming too this winter so maybe I can pull 14-15mpg at 2200rpm highway cruising instead of 3000rpm?

Regards!

Dirk
Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

funny this Topic came up ...just ran out of gas on way home last night...luckily coasted into the driveway and used the starter to get car into garage last 3 ft hahahaha
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

My gas gauge barely works too. I usually fill up when leaving the house unless my last trip was short and mild. One Sunday about 3 months ago I was driving to my baseball game as I usually do and was in a bit of a hurry when I left the house so I decided since it wasn't too far (12-15 miles) I would just remember to get gas on my way home. At the game I ripped my hamstring good just before sliding into home in the bottom of the 9th. I was carried off the field and hardly made it to my car after the game (we lost). Well I forgot to stop for gas before getting on the freeway and so planning to at the next exit. I stalled just as I merged onto the exit ramp. Got caught behind traffic at the light and was screwed. I am sitting in my car thinking how am I gonna push it when I can hardly walk and then one guy, then another jump out to help me, not knowing about my injury, I just steered and they pushed me across the intersection into the station. Bingo! I fill her up (14 gals) and try and start the car, with dry bowls it needs to turn over some. Just as I'm on the last turn before the battery dies she fires up. Thank you! I was never so glad to just get home.

John
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Doug,

Ok, you ran it dry. So, how many gallons did you get in the tank?

That last 1/4 tank moves awfully fast. I don't think I've put more than 13 or 14 gallons in when I thought I was empty.

What was your final amount?
I'm not sure. My brother and I were laughing so much I didn't keep track. My Cousin was right around the corner, so he brought me a couple of gallons in a gas can and I think I put another 13 gallons. My guess is 15+, but less than the advertised 17 gallons.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Yup

That sounds about right.
Thanks.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I didnt take the tank apart and baffle it for the EFI install , and with an external pump and filter the gas starts to aeriate and the EFI starts to hunt a bit. -- about 1/3 of a tank, so i usually take that as a signal to filler up -- at that point its 12-14 gallons.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack View Post
The gas gauge is a rough estimate on these things. I zero out my trip at fillup. I don't like to go much over 150 miles before fill up. Some of you guys with big blocks probably have a lower number. Haven't run out yet.

Jack
not going to run out of gas...not prudent...