Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     
Default PRO 5.0 Shifter ??

I've been thinking about getting a PRO 5.0 shifter for my Tremec 500 with its standard shifter. My tranny shifts positively but there's no way I can shift it quickly. Hard core power-shifting will just not happen into any gear.

Has anyone had experience with the PRO 5.0 shifter? I'm wondering it its a good choice or if there's something better, of if I should just live with what I've got. I don't drag or track the car but I would like the ability to shift quicker.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

I don't have the Pro5, but I did have the MGW on my T5. It was night and day for ease of shifting. Now that I have the TKO600, I'm thinking about changing the stock shifter to another MGW.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

My Steeda Tri-Ax improved my shifting on two Tremec's. You still may have a problem power shifting into 3rd at +7000 with any shifter.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have the Pro 5.0 on mine and shifting is fine.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I would suggest you have your parts worked by Liberty Gears.

Cost about $350. I've tried shifters, magic lubes and they help a little but the street speed upgrade by Liberty made my 600 shift like a T-5, smooth and fast.

WELCOME TO LIBERTYS HIGH PERFORMANCE

We torn down my 600 and shipped the required parts to Liberty. A couple weeks later we install the reworked / new parts. Took about two hours to take the trannie apart and about the same two hrs to put it back together.
It's one of those things I should have done years ago!

You can not miss a gear with this modification!

Dwight
Old 08-13-2015, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The aftermarket shifter will help some. I prefer the Steeda Tri-Ax.

If you're trying to speed shift it above 6000, then a shifter will most likely not work. We do our "Sure Shift" upgrade to the TKO's which will make them shift like a Toploader at high rpms.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Thanks folks. This was just the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Karl,

The shifting problems that TKO500/600 transmissions experience are caused by the internal timing of the shift mechanism as you go through the gates from second to third and to a lesser extent fourth to fifth. Most people do not power shift fourth to fifth because vehicle speed is so high and if you haven't won by then fifth won't help.

As you come out of second you are moving a synchro slider from second to neutral and you do not want it to go into first. The internal locks in the shifter design provide this protection. Tremec erred on the side of abundant safety and at the same time created locks that prevent rapid shifts from second to third.

Liberty has a retrofit shift rail package that replaces the Tremec internals with aftermarket pieces that do shift fast. Forget the shifters and the black magic. The problem is in the transmission and the fix is at Liberty.

The Liberty pieces are not expensive at all and easy to put in if you have ever worked on any type of manual transmission. Download Tremec's service manual as your reference guide and you will be good to go.

While you are at it get a set of the carbon fiber faced synchros for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. First gear and fifth gear are usually not power shifted. On a road race vehicle I suppose you could make an argument for 1st gear. The synchros when I did mine were around $50 each. I think the whole package came to about $220

With synchros it should take you a Saturday morning on the workbench in your garage. When you are done you will not believe it is the same transmission — no shifter changes required!

If you do not want to do the work Liberty can do it for you. If they do, they can also machine the case to put in a superior front bearing for the countershaft — a good upgrade.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

More of an issue with the gear cones, synchronizers, and blocking rings. The surface finish on those cause big issues and tolerances can stack up. One of the biggest things we do here is refinish those surfaces. Changing the shift finger and blueprinting the thrust clearance is the rest.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Brent -

How much is your TKO upgrade package? It sounds like you may be doing a bit more than Liberty. Is that the case?

John
Old 08-13-2015, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Starts at about $400, goes up depending on the options. That price includes everything I've described except for the carbon fiber blocking rings. We can also have the components cryogenically treated and we can add up to 15% more torque capacity.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

This is an apology to Brent.

Brent I inadvertently left you out of the recommended vendor listing — it was unintentional my apologies.

For those following this thread you can get the same results if you pick Brent instead of Liberty. Both are excellent choices and both will produce a quantum improvement in your TKO's shifting.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No apology needed, just wanted to hop in with some info.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default Any mods for a first series TKO (based on the 3550)?

All,

Purchased a 3550 TKO (2600708) back in 99'.

All the mods seem to be only for the TKO 500/600's. Are there ways to significantly improve the early TKO?

Guess the entire point in the 500/600 redesign was to correct inherent problems with the early TKO.

My current shifter is a very simple ball/socket. No adjustable stops, etc.
It was installed to be able get the shifter handle a few inches forward of the stock position.

Is there is a "parts package" to improve the general shifting in the early trans? The fluid is the correct # GM synchromesh.

Do not need more torque capacity, but general smoother shifting would be great. Fast shifting 2nd to 3rd is a 50/50 proposition. Although that seems to be a common thread on all of the TKOs'.

This one is so notchy that in traffic it is hard to get it into first with going back/forth to another gear. Yes, the clutch is disengaging.

The ONLY thing I like about the trans is the 5th gear overdrive...first is way too low for me at 3:27...especially with a 3:54 rear gear.

Due to $$$$ a reworked 600 is not in the cards.

Thanks, Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 08-15-2015, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2114
Not Ranked     

Hey Karl,
I had a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter on my Mustang T45 transmission and it worked well. If you are thinking of possibly upgrading the internals of the TKO 500 there is a shop here in phoenix that does that type of work. I've never dealt with them but you might want to talk to AMP Performance in Phoenix to see what they can do. (ampperformance.com)
Keith
Old 08-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Pete call Liberty and see if they can work on your TKO.

I had a TKO with 10,000 miles on it and a Pro 5 shifter. Still hard to shift. Sold it.

Now I'm driving a Cobra with a 3550 and it smooth and easy.

I bought the upgrade from Liberty for my 600 and it was sweet! Easy shifts, NO missing gears. It was great.

Dwight