Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tech Tips (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tech-tips/)
-   -   Zn oils - What do you use? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tech-tips/135152-zn-oils-what-do-you-use.html)

1985 CCX 11-17-2015 09:57 AM

Zn oils - What do you use?

1 Attachment(s)
Often for older cars using solid lifters Zn (ZDDP or zinc-dialkyldithiophosphate) aids in wear. There are also version in conventional oil and others in synthetic.

What Zn oil do you use? Lucas, Shell, Enos, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Valvoline VR or other?

Also type: Conventional or Synthetic

What is your experience?

Mongoose930 11-17-2015 10:26 AM

Hi Jeff,

I used Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil 01506 HR-4 10W-30 Synthetic Hot Rod Oil and was very happy with it. I purchased mine from Amazon. High Zinc content.

Bernica 11-17-2015 10:51 AM

Joe Gibbs Driven XP-3 Racing Oil here. Yes, high ZDDP content. It's not cheap, but neither is the motor!

kevins2 11-17-2015 11:04 AM

I also use Driven (conventional). It's not called Joe Gibbs anymore, btw.

patrickt 11-17-2015 11:12 AM

Brad Penn for me. But you know you can get either BP or JG oils on Amazon, so it's really just whichever tickles your fancy.:rolleyes: Now, if you're looking for the true blue colored ATE Super Blue brake fluid, that's a little harder.

lippy 11-17-2015 11:51 AM

I've used Gibbs, Penn, and Valvoline VR-1. Conventional. Lately I've been using VR-1, it's good and cheaper.

Shootnride 11-17-2015 03:16 PM

Been using Valvoline VR-1, 20-50, conventional in my SFT cammed SO. Seems to do the job well.

Ted

Gary(SF) 11-17-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lippy (Post 1371727)
I've used Gibbs, Penn, and Valvoline VR-1. Conventional. Lately I've been using VR-1, it's good and cheaper.

Not sure about other sources, but on Amazon (unless I'm messing up in my search) it looks like Penn is the cheapest of the three.

cobrakiwi 11-17-2015 04:02 PM

Brad Penn,has worked well for me.

RET_COP 11-17-2015 04:14 PM

Gibbs Driven 5w40 synthetic. I chose this for the below write up and I wanted thin 5w oil for cold startups and 40w for my hydraulic lifters. A lot of guys use Driven or Brad Penn in race cars in our area.

Synthetic 5W-40

DT40 delivers this first 5W-40 synthetic European Sports Car oil formulated with Ultra High Viscosity Index base oils designed for high output engines. DT40 features a high zinc content to protect aggressive cam profiles, and the advanced synthetic formula delivers fuel economy and high temperature protection from viscosity breakdown. High revving sports car engines and turbocharged engines require robust anti-wear protection. These high output engines need defense against high temperatures. Joe Gibbs Driven DT40 delivers enhanced film thickness as well as increased anti-wear additives. Ideal for German, Italian and British sports car engines. High Zinc Content - Higher level of Zinc (ZDP) delivers proper anti-wear protection for high output engines and flat-tappet camshafts. Extra Film Thickness - Advanced synthetic technology for greater film thickness under high temperatures and high loads. Thermal Stability - Defends against Turbo coking, oil consumption and viscosity breakdown. Storage Protection - Defends against moisture drawn into the engine by modern bio-blended fuels. Utilizes a tenacious oil film technology developed for the U.S. military.

undy 11-17-2015 04:50 PM

I use M1 15W/50. plenty of Zinc.

hawk 325 11-18-2015 10:34 AM

I use the Joe Gibbs driven 15 50w conventional oil. Builder recommended that and wix filters, anything else would void the warranty.

scootter 11-18-2015 07:55 PM

I also use Valvoline 20 50 VR1 and through in a bottle of Rislone USA 3X Concentrated Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment - Rislone USA. I can run down and pick up these at OReily.
Scott

1985 CCX 11-19-2016 07:36 AM

Decided to go with Penzoil GT Racing oil.
High ZDDP content
Good with solid lifters.

55312 11-20-2016 06:18 AM

Jeff

This is a good article on ZDDP.

ZDDP: When, Where, What, Why, How? - Engine Builder Magazine

The limits on ZDDP and in particular, Phosphorus are related to poisoning of the catalytic converter. I used to use Shell Rotella until they dropped the amount of ZDDP in it. Brad Penn and the Joe Gibbs oils are "racing" oils and have substantially more ZDDP in them. When Keith Craft did my 427 center oiler, he insisted on the Gibbs oil to save the cam. I told him I was using Brad Penn and he said that was just as good.

Tim

Y22C 11-20-2016 07:51 AM

Spectro Motorguard or Spectro Golden Motorguard 10w40, the latter being a semi-syn.

Zinc 1800 parts per million. Not many other oils that high.

Of course, just my 2 cents

Ken

1985 CCX 11-20-2016 09:08 AM

The Penzoil has min value of 2000ppm

fordracing65 11-20-2016 10:09 AM

Brad Penn oil is $30 dollars cheaper a case than Joe Gibbs oil on Amazon.

Bartruff1 11-20-2016 10:15 AM

Whatever Wal Mart has on sale that day...

CHANMADD 11-20-2016 09:39 PM

I've been using Rotella T for a few years now...