21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-04-2022, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rear Brake Calipers - Lincoln Versailles

Folks, I need a bit of help here. I purchased a new set of Versailles, the old set were sent in for core. I am unable to install the spring bars, and i suspect the new calipers are somehow different/incorrect. Wonder if anyone can confirm the measurement show in the pixs. where the caliper slots into the bracket, currently measuring 5.5 inches. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2022, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Take a side picture.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

working on it. caliper is not with me. hopefully tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From what i can see caliper fits in bracket and the slide wedge is in there . Looks like you just need to get i wiggled around a bit and tap the wedge in with the spring on it. It is a tight fit with the spring and will take a hammer to tap it in.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yes, i was able to tap in the component that 'ties' down the caliper to the bracket, but unable to slot in the spring bars. The old Calipers allowed for both the 'tie down' and a spring bar on each side. I bled the brakes, hooked everything up, drove it to burnish the new pads, both front and back. I took off the back wheel and noticed that the rear caliper is dragging, meaning it's not fully in place and the lower side and is touching the hub of the Rotor, and scouring it. Hence the desire to understand if these replacement calipers are not the right ones.

The calipers shown in the attached pixs are both Lincoln Versailles.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2022, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why did you not take a picture from the side over the rotor and in the bracket. The wedge and spring have to be tapped in as a unit. I think you need to get it in bracket right before the wedge and spring will fit.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Everything is apart right now. Let me see if i can get a picture w/caliper on the rotor. But i hear what you are saying, it's possible that the new bracket is thicker than the original, and that may prevent the spring bars from being installed.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison FE 428
Not Ranked     

Are you trying to put a spring bar on top and bottom of caliper? Use just one spring and a wedge on the bottom of caliper. Good luck
Old 01-13-2022, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With the replacement caliper, there is no space to fit either spring bar, only the bracket. Attached is the original caliper with the spring bar installed on top, there is one on the bottom as well.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2022, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And here is the new caliper installed where you can see the bottom rubbing against the hub. Unable to insert spring bars on this new caliper, only the bracket.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2022, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Try to post a bright clear picture of the side . Like above but so we can see how you have it in the bracket. It looks like you dont have up against the bracket correctly. It only takes 1 spring per caliper. If you have the old caliper us a pair of calipers to measure the old and new and see if there is any difference. Where do you have the wedge in your picture in the top of the picture or the bottom? Where it is touching the rotor need to be pryed outward. before the key and spring is installed. You are making it harder than it needs to be to help.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just drove over to where my car is . Here is a picture taken thru a window in the spokes in the wheel. The wedge or key with the spring goes to the bottom. If you have the key in the spring will fit. The key has a edge that sticks up and the spring goes against it. So you have the key in that means the spring will fit. You are going o have to pry the caliper around to get it into the right position. The key and spring will then start in at an angle. As you tap in in with a hammer it will straighten out and slide the rest of the way in. Its going to be a tight fit so it does not rattle. Its not hard to do but will take some effort and finesse on your part to make sure the caliper is in the bracket to start with.

Name:  100_1182.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  86.3 KB

Picture needs to be turned a 1/4 turn counter clockwise to see it like its on the car.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yeah, so about the picture angles. its a picture i took several weeks ago that i just found. Everything is apart right now, and it's bloody freezing here, so won't have it together until it gets a little warmer. But MAStuart thanks for posting that picture. It looks like i was trying to place the spring bar 45 degrees from were it is showing on yours, in other words, i was placing that spring bar in the wrong location. Makes sense now. I will give it a shot this weekend and report back. Thanks again everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison FE 428
Not Ranked     

It’s rubbing because the caliper needs to be pushed toward rear of car, so push caliper up and away from the disc, no bar or spring up top, now push the bottom of caliper away from disc toward rear of car, now you will have just enough room on the bottom of caliper to insert bar and spring mated to each other in on an angle then tap it home.