LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default Backup Reverse Switch for Manual Transmissions

All,
I recently purchased ERA 575, originally built by James Baldwin. Despite having a CA Title, my state requires I undergo the VIN registration and inspection process. One of the things I needed to do is have a backup light.

I have a Richmond 5 Speed (Street Version). The overdrive version has the hole for the factory reverse switch, but the Street does not. The way you can distinguish between the 2 versions is that the Overdrive version has 4 linkages/shifter arms, and the Street has only 3.

I purchased a simple plunge button switch. I ordered 5 different ones and found this one here to be the best.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_b_prod_image

The reason it's perfect is
1. heavy duty metal construction
2. articulation of the electric connection is from 1/4 push to 4/4 push, meaning it is more forgiving than a traditional on/off switch.
3. The plunger switch is sufficiently long so that you can engage the switch with the shift lever with a decent margin of error for placement.

I will show the video of the contraption in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqmFg07dSdI

I then wired the switch from the ignition starter solenoid to the shifter switch to the rear tail light (white). State requires one.
rustyrims likes this.

Last edited by frankym; 07-03-2022 at 02:27 AM..
Old 07-03-2022, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     

Photos of the contraption, which mounts to the bolt at the top of the transmission housing.

https://link.shutterfly.com/cm3EpW1gmrb

https://link.shutterfly.com/8BgCL66gmrb
Old 07-04-2022, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Looks really nice. Same state and regs. In Fairfield, still building. But one day. Thanks for the details. Very cool. G
Old 07-04-2022, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I have the same transmission and regulatory requirement.

I mounted a B&M Micro Switch so the 5/R transmission shift arm would contact it when shifted into reverse. Like you, I had to do some creative fabrication of a mount rigid enough to ensure it continues functioning reliably and consistently over time. Mine is actually mounted on the chassis rail, as it's quite close to the shift arm, and solid motor mounts don't flex to create alignment issues.

Sorry, no photos of my mount, but it's been working for nearly 8 years now without any issues.

Here's the switch:
Old 07-04-2022, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

How can they require you to add something that was never present on the original car?
Old 07-05-2022, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
How can they require you to add something that was never present on the original car?
Regulations here require the car to be compliant for the year of manufacture. My car was first licensed in 1991, so it needs to meet those standards. That includes daytime running lights, backup lights, centre-mounted brake lamp, side marker lamps and reflectors and a brake system warning lamp - all of which had to be added to pass inspectionj with the exception of the side marker lamps, as the 'beehive' lamps were deemed to be sufficiently visible.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Regulations here require the car to be compliant for the year of manufacture. My car was first licensed in 1991, so it needs to meet those standards. That includes daytime running lights, backup lights, centre-mounted brake lamp, side marker lamps and reflectors and a brake system warning lamp - all of which had to be added to pass inspectionj with the exception of the side marker lamps, as the 'beehive' lamps were deemed to be sufficiently visible.
Ah, Canada. So someone licensing one today has to have all the stuff a 2022 would? Don't you register to the year the vehicle replicates?
Old 07-05-2022, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Ah, Canada. So someone licensing one today has to have all the stuff a 2022 would? Don't you register to the year the vehicle replicates?
In Saskatchewan, vehicles are registered to the year they're completed, pass safety and are first licensed. My registration indicates "1991 KIT CAR/ REPLICAR". In the past, Saskatchewan allowed replicas to be registered as the year / make / model the vehicle replicates, but it was my understanding there was an initiative to go back to each one and have it re-registered consistent with current practice.

I can't speak about other provinces, as their rules vary. Example: There's no emissions testing in Saskatchewan, not even for newer vehicles, but that's far from universal across Canada.