Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Spring Meeting (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/10031-spring-meeting.html)

ERA600hp 08-02-2001 06:48 AM

Spring Meeting

Ed, I'm sure that you would like for the meeting to be in Austin. What about the Rest of THE CLUB? Don't you think that your being a little unfair?
I thought that We, as a Club decided, that the Spring Meeting would move from city to city?

OK, I need to hear from everyone!!!!!!

What do you think??

Dennis Mosley 08-02-2001 08:25 AM

I just copied this from the other thread we had going on this topic.

Thumbs up to the College Station idea!

Actually my preference would be to keep it in Austin....central location, hill country, capital of Texas, birthplace of TCC ect....

My second choice would be College Station....central location, Home of the Aggies, TWS, Tom's BBQ, nice country roads....

Third Choice, anywhere you great Cobra guys are going to be. Where ever Cobra guys meet, it's going to be fun!

Gig'em

Dennis "Aggie Cobra" Mosley '88

Ed Csoltko 08-02-2001 09:24 AM

Tom; I'll go along with whatever the club decides.:3DSMILE:

Gary Morris 08-02-2001 10:48 AM

Well.....you asked!!

Well Mr. President you asked so here is my OPINION. Before I say anything I want everyone to know that I blame NO ONE for what happened as sometimes all the best plans just go to hell when you least expect it. I had a wonderful time and I think I can honestly say it was the BEST Birthday celebration that John Russell and ME ever had............but just the facts...

1. The host hotel was in no way prepared for us....granted they comped us some rooms across the street.
2. The host hotel had no provisions whatsoever for trailer parking and that was the first and foremost request that we had.
3. The road construction right at the hotel made navigation for out of towners a nightmare.
4. The amazement to walk into a RETAIL store and see one of our club logos on just about anything you could think of...shirts...hats...etc.....for sale for profit to anyone off the street. I'm sure...correct me if I'm wrong but I think that 1st year artwork was copywrighted by the designer and whether or not permission was granted to use it could be at issue......I don't think any of our group would have agreed to it. I'm just glad they did not have access to this years artwork as I would have gone ballistic. It was bad enough.....and I'll take most of the blame for not following up on it....that the artwork for this year was changed from it's original form. For those of you who don't know who Mr. Bill Neale is....he is one of the premier automotive artists of our time and happens to be a friend of mine. I asked Bill if he would do some artwork for our Cobra Club and he agreed......well to make a long story short I DID go ballistic when I saw the T-Shirts with the altered artwork. I am in the process of getting the artwork back and returning it to it's original form for future use. I personally would not wear one until I had made peace with Bill. That's all water under the bridge now and like I said it was just as much my fault as anyones and I only blame myself.....BUT Bill Neale's artwork WILL be used again and I will follow it through myself...............I'm just glad that it was not silk screened and embroidered on things that WE did not authorize.
5. I'm pretty sure when Tom was elected President he stated that the event would be in Dallas next year and most of us agreed.

I love Austin and think it's a very cool place but I vote Dallas just the same. Probably if you check at least HALF of the cars were from Dallas anyway so it just makes sense. We drew 26 Cobras for the last major show in our area. I don't think any other region can come close to that.

BUT.....BUT.....I WILL GO WHEREVER MY BRETHERN WANT TO GO AS LIKE WE HAVE STATED ALL ALONG....CAR OWNERSHIP NOT REQUIRED AS WE ARE A FAMILY!!!

That's my .02

Gary

P.S. For those of you looking for a fix...the Yellow Rose all FORD car show is August 11, 12. in Ft. Worth. Texas Cobra Club will have 14 entries in attendance.
:3DSMILE: :3DSMILE: :3DSMILE:

SilverCobra 08-02-2001 12:12 PM

Gary – no reason for you to feel responsible for or blame yourself for anything that happened in Austin. If anyone has the right to feel bad about the whole deal, it is certainly me – it seems like everything I had anything remotely to do with got screwed up on a grand scale.

1. I recommended the Double Tree Hotel as I had stayed there before and knew they had a secure covered concrete parking garage for storing non trailered Cobras. I think they assured Stretch that they had provisions for parking trailers, but we know it worked out totally different. Double Tree made life miserable trying to make individual reservations and then failed to tell us that they had terribly overbooked the place expecting Catholic Youth Conference from all over the state. Don’t know what to say about roadwork on I-35.

2. The Bill Neale t-shirts were my next great decision. Donna and Alan brought the artwork over to me on a Friday pressed for time with a silkscreen deadline and asked my opinion about the unfinished look on the Cobra image. The three of us did not know enough about Bill’s work to know that this was the way it was supposed to look and we assumed that it for some reason the graphic just never got finished. I tried to contact you to no avail and then gave Alan & Donna the go ahead to have the printer finish out the image. You and I did talk on the following Monday and we must have missed signals as I thought you knew that the image was in the process of being changed. None of us intended to insult Bill or cause such an uproar.

3. Gary, when I got to the Lumberyard in Wimberley, my mouth dropped with all the TCC Cobra merchandise for sale. Prior to the event, I had received a request from Rob Robertson to e-mail him the JPG images that were used for the TCC pocket shirts that I had printed in May 2000. I understood that Rob’s company was going to print some special T-shirts from the Lumberyard to be presented to DRIVERS that completed the poker run from Austin. I did not see the harm in using the logo images for a one-time print of some 20-30 shirts. Those images (the Texas Flag and the State map with the blue Cobra) were designed by Tattoo Productions in Nacogdoches and are their copyright property. TCC or anyone else does not have the right to freely distribute and duplicate the image and/or sell to the public. If we want to use the graphics, we would need to order the products from Tattoo, get their permission to use the image or acquire the rights.

I too really enjoyed the Austin weekend, but sure had a lingering, nagging sense of embarrassment for everything that went wrong. I am going to build my car and try to stay out of trouble. I sincerely apologize to everyone in TCC that was and has been affected by the above.

Gary Morris 08-02-2001 01:07 PM

Dick....Like I said it was just one of those things that happened and now history. Believe me you and I are square...we were square before we ever left Austin:D Like you my mouth hit the floor when we walked into the Lumberyard as I had been contacted about the artwork like you said...they were going to print up some shirts to GIVE to the DRIVERS and so on. And then after.....I think.....it was brought to their attention of our feelings that they then decided to give away T-shirts to some how make it better.....when I beleive that was the original plan to begin with. I'm like you that I doubt if Tatoo Productions would be pleased about what was done with THEIR artwork.
I don't think any apologies are needed as we all had a good time and only a few of us knew what happened. I do think the Dallas group can and will present a wonderful event IF we can get THEM to make the trip up here and I just don't know if they will or not. The few small things we have had up here has not been able to draw many people from down south.
I just want to play Cobras and have fun

:3DSMILE: :3DSMILE:
I love ya man.

Gary
P.S. when is the Unique due?

427Aggie 08-02-2001 01:18 PM

How did we get into a comparison of what happened wrong?

Ok I will ask the question that probably needs to be asked. If we have the meet in Dallas "How many people from out of town will come to the event"

I will drive anywhere for the party and I would prefer Dallas (its closer for me :) )

But are we going to get into a party that is just a bunch of the Dallas crowd or will others from Austin and Houton make the trek?

I hate to say this but who would come if they were trailered up?

matt

Ed Csoltko 08-02-2001 03:58 PM

Mr President (Tom) and all TCC members, I apologize to everyone for not knowing that next years 2002 spring meet was going to be held in Dallas and everyone agreed. Per Gary's statement below:

"5. I'm pretty sure when Tom was elected President he stated that the event would be in Dallas next year and most of us agreed."

(I was wondering why Tom was yelling at me and getting hostle.)

So what ever the Dallas members decide is fine with me, and Kathy and I will be there rain or shine. I have no trailer so my FFR will stay in Austin, but I'll ride shotgun with my good buddy Ray Russell from Hurst if the weather permits.

Please accept my apology to all TCC members.:o

Dennis Mosley 08-02-2001 08:45 PM

Ed, no apology is needed. You voiced your opinion. I don't recall everyone agreeing that the meeting would be held in Dallas. Might have happened I just don't remember it. I DO remember the suggestion and I did not hear anyone openly voice a disagreement but that is much different than everyone agreeing.

It's going to be fun where ever it happens to be.

I just don't want anyone to think that just because most if not all of the elected officers are in Dallas that the meeting has to be there. The president has asked for input and if you want it elsewhere please give him the input. If you don't speak up then by the responsibility that we gave him, he has to do what he thinks is best for the club.

Matt also asked a very valid question. If the decision is made to have it in Dallas who will make the trip? If it is just going to be the Dallas guys, they do that every month.

Lets give the pres the input he requested and start planning for a great time.

ERA600hp 08-03-2001 04:55 AM

Ed

Thank You Dennis for your reply. Ed, NO apology necessary. I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking anyone.
I'm tryin to stir up some OPINION's.
I want to hear from the Members.
I've tried to explain before this is not MY club, it's the members club, I serve at the pleasure of It's members.
Please don't everyone think that just because there is a large number of members in Dallas that we are going to have the Spring Meeting up here.
I do feel I can speak for the Dallas Members, WE will do what is best for the Club, if everyone would rather have the meeting in Austin again then, that's where it will be.

Ed, this club, is not about just the Car's!! It's about the PEOPLE that make up the club, yes we all have a passion for Cobra's, thats what brings us toughter.

Hey College Station sounds good to me, except that I feel that track time at Texas World Speedway would be a waste of time and money, we don't have that many who would want to put their cars on a track. ( Again I might be wrong)

HUMBLY YOUR"S
the president

"I SERVE AT THE PLEASURE OF THE TEXAS COBRA CLUB"

Gregg(What's his name)? 08-03-2001 06:49 AM

I'm In.

Does not matter to me. I'm in no matter what.

Heck I liked having it in Austin. Sleep in my own bed. Drive 15 minutes to the garage. biased opion

Just let me know what you need as in help and I'm there.

22 days until Football Season kicks off!

Go HUSKERS

Gregg H

SilverCobra 08-03-2001 08:01 AM

TCC - We really have it good guys. No selfish jerks...no flamers...no huge egos to have worry about...no personal agendas to dodge. Just fun & fellowship with beautiful cars as the common bond.

So who will travel to Dallas if Dallas is the site??

James Baldwin 08-03-2001 09:25 AM

We will go to either location.

I think the interest level will largely depend on the venue. Whether it is Ft. Worth, Dallas, Austin, College Station, etc.., we should probably just focus on the activity that is most appropriate for that city.

{Just brainstorming here}

I heard some mention of a lake in Ft. Worth once (which sounds good)????

Anything around the Riverwalk available (or of interest to anyone)?

If we do it in the Dallas area, I have a radio station (1310 The Ticket) who would probably give us some publicity.

If people want racing, Texas World or Motorsport Ranch sounds good. Maybe we could go in with the Viper, Vette, or Mustang clubs to share the infield of Texas Motor Speedway in Ft. Worth.

Dennis Mosley 08-03-2001 09:40 AM

Drove the Cobra in to work today and while talking to some non-Cobra drivers about this thread the idea of having a set location for the yearly event and then a mid year event that rotates came up.

The bikers don't move the Sturgis (sp) meet. The Tulsa meet is always held in Tulsa.

I know the above are not state wide events but I hope you see the tie in.

I know it's a little late now but in the future can the club support a consistant yearly meeting place an a mid year meeting? What do you guys think.

That being said, if it ends up in Dallas you can count me in.

snakeeyes 08-03-2001 11:36 AM

Dick and Gary, you guys need apologize to no one. Obviously there was a bunch of behind the scenes stuff going on at the February meet but to those of us just along for the ride we were glad to have nice-looking shirts and caps to purchase. I am a huge fan of Bill Neale's artwork and am just pleased to wear a shirt he did, altered or otherwise. I hope to see the unaltered version available so I can buy four of those, too.:D

I live out in the Hill Country west of San Antonio and have a sinking feeling that I probably would not make the drive to Dallas in my ERA, given that my wife will be about eight months pregnant at the time of the 2002 meeting. Obviously, I love having the meet in Austin; it's still a 140 mile drive each way but it's do-able in a day. However, you guys have come without complaint from a lot farther than that for the last two years, so have the meeting whereever seems best. The Dallas contingent is obviously the largest in this club so Big D seems logical.

Bob

AdoBitar 08-03-2001 11:56 AM

Tom, you bring up a good point - who would take advantage of the track? I'd love to go down to mecca (anything within' 45 miles of College Station), but I wouldn't want to do that unless people wanted to hit the course.

Are there any ideas about facilities for the event? This will be my first event, so I'm not sure what all y'all did in previous year(s). I'm guessing, from the other items in the thread that we basically need a hotel with BIG parking for trailers, etc, and restaurants. Basically, we could get that anywhere, but if there are special needs, that might help us produce logical arguments for one place or another. Dallas probably has everything we need just as Austin but if for some reason, the cost for the right places is prohibitive, I'd go wherever. Austin is beautiful country.

- Ado

jwoodard 08-03-2001 12:09 PM

I personally like the idea of having the annual event in Austin every year, following Dennis' comments and logic. Didn't we originally start out the first year with the intention of having several other events each year in different geographic locations? We did have the May event here in Dallas. Only problem was the only out of towner that showed was Paul. That may be an indication of what the turn out would be if the Annual event is here in Dallas.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Jim:3DSMILE: :JEKYLHYDE :3DSMILE: :JEKYLHYDE

Ed Csoltko 08-03-2001 02:50 PM

If your referring to the AER show, I showed up!:3DSMILE:

Okiesnake 08-03-2001 03:09 PM

For me as a yankee, more north the better (ie Dallas). I just got my car on the road and look forward to meeting some of you guys. At this point in time I don't have a trailer an therefore would have to drive. Austin is just a little too far for me.
Okiesnake

JBAIRD 08-03-2001 03:14 PM

Guys, Come off it!! There isn't **** in Dallas to see, Corporate,Corporate,Corporate. Lets have it in Austin. Hillcountry rules and it's by and away the most centrally located for all. I'm with Woddard all the way. Besides, it gives us a chance to get out of the city. Drew