Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Big Bend Open Road Race Results

The final timed results should be posted this week at www.bborr.com but I wanted to post about our attendance at the BBORR in Fort Stockton, Texas this past week/weekend. For those that don't know, this is a TXDOT-sanctioned event held annually on the 59-mile stretch of road between Ft Stockton and Sanderson, Texas. You race against the clock in one of several speed classes. Its a throwback from the Terlingua days and a seriously cool event now in its 13th year. There were Cobras, Vettes, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, GT40s, old muscle cars, BMWs, AMGs and a few oddball hot rods entered, spanning anywhere from 200mph down to 85mph. All totaled there were 160 entrants. Pics of the entire Saturday morning starting race grid are here.

Wednesday and Thursday involved tech inspection, rookie school, qualifying and then practicing on an 8-mile closed section of US Highway 90 West of Sanderson. The County Sheriffs block off the highway and let entrants run back and forth on the 8 mile closed stretch of road. I was navigator for Bill Swendsen in his Backdraft and Toney Jacobs brought his Lone Star with Larry Boatner co-piloting. Bill and I ran in the 105 mph rookie class and finished in second place with a time of 105.019, using only a $10 Wal-Mart stopwatch (no GPS). The Keith Craft-powered Backdraft gobbled up the course; I don't think Bill had to lift one single time and it was a real Six Flags roller coaster ride. As Bill said, "Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on." There were 7 Cobras of varying makes in attendance and 5 of them placed in several speed classes.

While in the area we also managed to arrange a personal viewing of CSX 3050, previously detailed in this thread. This is the Gulf orange S/C car with 10,900 original miles and undriven since 1976. Though completely unrestored, the car is spectacular in every way.

As part of race week we also visited a couple of elementary schools to show off the cars and attended the annual car show and race parade. The locals love the event, really support the racers and the Cobras are the real crowd pleasers (Tony's Lone Star won the people's choice award.) All in all it was a great week of racing, camaraderie and all around Cobra fun. Registration opens next January and fills up fast. I encourage anyone interested to sign up and join us. Team Cobra will be well-represented and the event is truly one-of-a-kind. Post up here or ping me offline if you have any questions.

Jim

Last edited by elmariachi; 04-27-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool event-run whatcha brung. You guys get any static from tech about the roll bar or is that a speed class thing-meaning 105 is OK but 130 not allowed?

You didn't drink any beer after racing did you?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Correct Chas. The Backdraft has dual bars though only one is required in the Street Rod class. Once you move into the 120mph GT class, you must have either a roof or roll cage; no open top roadsters.

We did consume a considerable amount of Tequila and beer Thursday night at the pre-race party but by the time the Saturday evening awards banquet arrived, we were all too tired from sitting on the grid in the sun all day to drink much.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
We did consume a considerable amount of Tequila and beer Thursday night at the pre-race party ...
At the pre-race party???---And you guys had to drive in a straight line???
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Its Texas baby, we celebrate in advance the LEGAL RIGHT to drive fast on a public US highway.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

I was the Navigator for the other Cobra owned by Tony Jacobs. We did have more fun than you can shake a stick at. I have a awfull decision next year. Take the Ford GT and run in a faster class or take my Cobra and drive in the 110 class with the open roadster. Big Bend is made for a Cobra. As Jim said, there isn't a turn that you would have to lift on. The wind in your face, pipes screaming, fences zipping by and for 59 miles. BTW- It take 33 mins and 43 seconds to do that at an average of 105 mph. You are limited in this class to a maximum speed of 124. Bill and Tony both saw that speed in their Cobras a couple of times. 158 cars and 80 of them were CORVETTES!!! We need more FORDS!!! There was a GT40 replica race car that turned the Radar trap at 191 mph. His average for the 59 miles was around 160. He finished 2nd overall in the Unlimited division. A CORVAIR finished third. You need to go to the website to check out the Corvair, not your everyday old POS. hahaha

WWW.BBORR.COM

Always the 4th weekend in April. Start planning your fun for next year!!!

Larry Boatner
Old 04-28-2010, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Its Texas baby, we celebrate in advance the LEGAL RIGHT to drive fast on a public US highway.
OK you fun seekers-how about you share some facts and figgers for us poor unfortunate ILL-EAGLE street racers...

59 miles near the rev limiter or was the speed restriction the rev limiter? Tell us:
Oil pressure?
Oil temp?
Water temp?
Cold tire pressures? After-run pressures?
Did the windshield stay up?

Envious minds want to know...
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On the Backdraft:

- RPMS in 5th were around 4200.
- Oil pressure was 35 psi
- Oil temp was 210F
- Water temp 180F
- Driver temp Cooooool
- Tire pressures, just enough
- The windshield never moved.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Way to go Jim, Bill, Tony, and Larry,

I see the photo of the pin-striped fire suit has been censored.
With those numbers and an intact windscreen, I'm betting somewhere around 10-12mpg.

Would love to see some in car video.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
- Oil pressure was 35 psi
So you ran 4200 for 30 -some minutes.

Maybe your pilot should put in a stiffer spring- I'd rather see 50 to 60 at 4200...
The temps were good though.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

On the Lone Star (Tony's Car):

- RPMS in 6th were around 3300.
- Oil pressure was 30 psi
- Oil temp was ?
- Water temp 190F
- Driver temp Cooooool
- Tire pressures, Daily Driver
- The windshield never moved because Tony installed windshield brace

Tony uses this car as his daily driver, Really. I had a small accident in my Ford GT that we had originally registered so we used Tony's Instead.
Tony lives in Seabrook Texas and works down town Houston at Shell. He drives it 95% of the time. All day predicted thunderstorms causes him to borrow his wifes car, but very seldom. The lowest class 85 mph was won by a guy in a Toyota Sienna Van. (Wonder if maybe his gas pedal was stuck).
Here is a picture of the 2 Cobras.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default 2 cents from the driver

On day one of qualifying, Jim sat in on the rookie school and used my car to get his rookie qualifying out of the way. Now he's ready for next year. I must admit he had a really big grin when he got back. Rookie qualifying consists of an instructor (someone with 5 or more years of BBORR experience). Pull up to the start, Big West Tex Randy asks "you trying to hit your tech speed"? HELL YES, speed trap at the halfway point of the 8 mile practice run on Hwy 90 tells the tale. My tech (not to exceed) speed was 124. I hit 126.9, 125.3, 124.2, 123.8 and several more right at 124. Used my GPS to check the speedo and the trap and it was very close. Ran the entire 8 miles out and back at very close to 124. One downhill, off camber turn made for a little pucker factor but the GY F-1's handled well.

The town of Sanderson, Pop 800 welcomed us with open arms. Food, coffee, water, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, young and old were there to help where ever they could.

I upgraded my rear shocks before the event. Changed all fluids and generally went over the car with a fine tooth comb. It was tight and handled exceptionally well. Gearing could have been a little lower but the Keith Craft SBF ran like a top with lots of power to spare. My hats off again to Keith and Backdraft > the car was rock solid.

My hat also has to go off to Jim Reiss, except for a minor fuel pump issue he proved to be an excellent navigator. With all the course notes he had along with watching the stop watch I'm surprised he remembers anything about the 33 minute ride. Thanks Jim, you can navigate anytime for me.

Team Cobra proved to be a formidable foe. We took quite a bit of ribbing from the Corvette crowd but with 4 out of 5 Cobras taking awards, I think we earned a bit of respect. There were some real impressive Vettes out there along with great drivers. Tony's LSC is a show stopper wherever he goes. That airbrushed snakeskin stripe is awesome and a well deserved award at the car show. Not to mention being asked to drive Miss Ft. Stockton in the parade. WTG Tony, or is it Toni? LMAO

My impressions were very favorable and it was a fun event. I'd like to visit more of the Big Bend National Park area someday with the Cobra. I hear it's breathtaking. Diane and I plan on running the BBORR again next year although she is still going to take pictures and bake cookies, no navigating. If Jim brings the Hurricane next year I'll be looking for a navigator. I will be posting pictures soon.

Last edited by mtpockets; 04-28-2010 at 08:34 PM..
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for sharing guys-glad all were safe.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great write-up Bill. Anytime a guy offers to let you drive his Cobra, for me at least, its not an automatic "Yes." But Bill was most gracious and how the hell could I refuse given the venue? We had the same instructor, a nice young lady named Leigh Ann Powers whose late grandfather helped start this whole event. I decided not to try and hit tech speed and was planning on two easy runs around 90-95 just to get my license for next year. Bill's Backdraft wanted no part of 95mph. I left the start line and before I knew it, I was at 115 and climbing entering the first sweeping turn. It was all I could do to keep the car under 120. That Craft engine is a freight train.

We had worked out some hand signals ahead of time because our helmet radios were the cheapo motorcycle intercom style that don't do well at 100mph+. I was in the process of signaling Bill and I unknowingly hit the fuel pump shut-off switch on the dash. Seconds later the car died momentarily at 115 mph, but he made a great save and it certainly added to the excitement of the moment.

Bill is an excellent driver and his race line was perfect and his handling was smooth as silk. I do plan on racing the Hurricane in 2011 but whomever navigates for Bill has a tight time delta to beat, .371.

Last edited by elmariachi; 04-29-2010 at 12:36 PM..