Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 65 Coupe, 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Engine Block worried about titling

So I guess this is my first post on this site. I have actually lurked for a little bit and met some of you in person. Any ways I have an FFR coupe and I am in the process of putting an engine together. I have already ordered but not received my engine yet from FordStroker, I asked him to put the vin number on my receipt so that I had paper trail of my engine when it came time to title the car. He told me that Ford does not put a VIN on the engine and that he has at least 20 blocks in front of him and not a single one has a VIN.

Is this correct and if so how am I going to fill out the VSR form (I think that's what it is called)?

Last thing I want to do is bump a bunch of money into an engine and watch the state take it away from me.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

I dont know about a "vin number", but there should be a serial number or casting number on most of the parts so you can provide documentation through your reciepts. The ones that dont have number should be able to be matched to an order reciept of some sort. If in doubt call the place that will be doing the inspection.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No clue when I will have it titled and things change it seems from day to day when you call the DMV about the process. He said it does have a casting number.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

You may want to just call your state's DMV and ask them what you need to successfully meet their requirements. Some states are pretty friendly, others like MA, make you walk barefoot over hot coals holding the block over your head.
Frank
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Are you in Texas? Is that where you will title it? No problem, Texas is about as freindly as they get...
Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You just need a receipt for the engine. No special numbers, it is fairly painless in Texas
Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sorry yes in texas, thought i had my profile all filled out. Mckinney, TX to be exact.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Texas Title and Registration

You don't have anything to worry about. Do a search of the Texas Forum on Title and Registration .. lots of experience here. I posted my Collin County process here:
Texas registration - engine age

There are some forms to bring, and they are mentioned in the above thread. Have receipts for your body/frame, engine, and tranny. They want to be sure you aren't using stolen parts. Do a pencil tracing of the chassis number, and the engine block number if no VIN is on it. You will certify that you were the person who built the car. Your MCO from Factory Five will be surrendered. Your car will be a "2010 Assembled Vehicle" or ASVE. This is what your title will say. If you had your insurance agent list your car as a "1965 Ford Cobra Replica" or whatever is the usual year for a Daytona, then they will put a comment on your title to that effect. But you will not be registered as a vintage car, and you will have to be safety inspected yearly. But ... you will be inspected as a 1965 Ford

Sam
Old 07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, All aluminum small block ford.
Not Ranked     

Texas is easy....your worrying about nothing.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

For your own referance, there is an engine ID "casting" number on the block. When you decipher it, it will tell you the date code and other referance data. Make sure that your engine builder at least puts that "casting number" on your receipt. It they dont want to it is no problem, just write it down yourself. It will help you later in buying parts and for referance when/if you sell it.

Also ask your engine builder about his guarentee and how he/you will identify that it is the same engine that he built for you.

Just a thought.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like everything is fine, he is putting the casting number on the reciept.
Thanks for your help.