LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pilgrim, TVR 4.6 on carbs
Not Ranked     
Default Left or right hand drive?

Hey all,

New to the forum and new to the states. Relocated in Houston from England. Car in transit now.
Once its in the country legally I am planning to make some mods to make sourcing parts alittle easier if anything fails.

Big question is do I change from the RIGHT side driving to the WRONG (left) side driving, and I mean the car not the road.

Hope to meet up with some of you in the near future at you events, when are they by the way?

I am going to need a whole new set of new buddies, I only currently know the wife in this big country.

Friends required:-

Fine wine drinker (for the wife)
"Watered down" beer drinker (for me)
Joke teller
Suggestion giver
Engine consultant
Axle consultant
Paint consultant
Wheel consultant
Welding operator
Fiberglass guru

Please apply within

Thanks

Richard
Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminium View Post
Hey all,

Big question is do I change from the RIGHT side driving to the WRONG (left) side driving, and I mean the car not the road.

Thanks

Richard
Welcome to Texas where we drive on the right (correct) side of the road.

For our safety and yours you should change your steering. There are a lot of fine 2 lane country roads for you to explore.
If you ever decide to pass that slow pick'em up truck in front of you,you and oncoming traffic will be at risk.
Your Cobra will be in the oncoming lane before you will even be able to see who you are killing.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminium View Post
Yes, change it over if you can. Driving a car when you are sitting on the "outside" of the road is not easy to do -- especially if it's not the side of the road you're used to driving on. In the US Virgin Islands we drive on the left side (just like England), BUT, all the cars are purchased from the states so they have the steering wheel on the left hand side as well -- so you're on the "outside of the road," and on the wrong side at that. Personally, I can't do it... I don't even try.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392cobra View Post
Welcome to Texas where we drive on the right (correct) side of the road.

For our safety and yours you should change your steering. There are a lot of fine 2 lane country roads for you to explore.
If you ever decide to pass that slow pick'em up truck in front of you,you and oncoming traffic will be at risk.
Your Cobra will be in the oncoming lane before you will even be able to see who you are killing.
How close are you tailing not to see around it & what's coming ahead?

I say just leave it... But it's your call!

When driving in the US think "LONG LEFT" turn & "TIGHT RIGHT" turn. as opposed to UK or AUS.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

Richard, welcome to Texas .. it's only casually part of the US Don't bother with the LHD ... You will be unique and you will meet more new friends that way

If it was your daily driver, yes, but for a hobby car , naaah. Just pay attention around you.

The saying here is the nut behind the wheel is more culpable than the nut on the wheel ...

Looking forward to meeting you in March when we all gather in San Marcos for our annual rally!

Adios
Sam
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Richard - if you check out how much it will cost to do the switch, that might help make up your mind. I looked at doing a LHD to RHD conversion recently, and the cost was prohibitive.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK427 BB Chevy454
Not Ranked     

Hi Richard,
mine's RHD and I live in France, I don't find it a problem.
To change can be quite complicated, while certain things are straightforward (steering rack, pedal box, dashboard) the footboxes could be a problem- in my AK the passenger side is a good two inches shorter.

Mark
Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Richard - there could be things that aren't obvious that need changing, like the engine could be slightly offset to the left in your RHD and that might need changing, and yes there are custom footboxes that would probably need to be fabricated or moulded.
Bodywork changes for the roll bar?
Any likelyhood - however remote - you would be going back to UK?
Keep it as a RHD. Cheers!
Glen
Old 07-28-2011, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Welcome to Texas!
We have always said it is not about the cars, its about the people.

As for changing the steering, I would say it depends on the car. Some are more change friendly than others. It would also depend on how much you plan on driving the car. If you drive it 300 -400 miles a year I would probably leave it and just watch yourself. Any more than that and I personally would change it. Besides the club members will be happy to have another member with a project to tinker with.

Must Sell Right Now

Old 07-31-2011, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Welcome to Texas and we like beer and wine so you'll fit right in. I'd leave the car as is as you probably will only drive it on the weekends like all of us and if you decide to track it at all at some club events you'll be right at home.