Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Formula 1 in Austin, one year away(WSJ) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/111295-formula-1-austin-one-year-away-wsj.html)

Prof 06-17-2011 07:10 PM

Formula 1 in Austin, one year away(WSJ)

Today's Wall Street Journal mentioned the $250 million dollar track that will host F1 one year from today. Anyone know the whole story? Other events that same weekend?
Trying to avoid the hype. (yeah right...)
Just curious....
Paul

Seagull81 06-17-2011 07:38 PM

Here you go Paul.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/loun...tin-texas.html

fordracing65 06-17-2011 08:04 PM

Im going to enter that race in my cobra.

-FROG- 06-21-2011 01:52 PM

They have been airing commercials here in Austin on TV for the track and showing progress. Also good information like, supplied Austin with 1,000 jobs for the track and supposed to bring in something like $250MM per year. Not to mention all the venues held there other than just car racing.

This is actually a REALLY GOOD video that shows alot about F1 in Austin - YouTube - ‪Circuit of the Americas Teaser Trailer‬‏

Seagull81 06-21-2011 08:33 PM

I believe they have also signed up the GP motorcycles to race also. I don't what date they have for that.

Gregg(What's his name)? 06-29-2011 07:45 AM

Yes they will be doing Moto GP in 2013. I have been out to the track and turn one looks very cool. Going up the hill and into a sharp left turn. Lets hope the Austin City coucil doesn't screw this up.

Type 65 Coupe 06-29-2011 11:07 AM

F1 Tickets, any word on where to buy get tickets???

I haven't been to an F1 race since Watins Glenn way back in "19??"
J

Don 06-29-2011 02:14 PM

Seems to be some issues still being resolved:

Car news, reviews and auto show stories, photos and community

Do a search on CC, there are other Threads regarding the F1 race. Those from TX can comment, do not recall the exact date, but it is in the peak summer temperatures rather than the Spring or Fall

Austin_Snake 06-29-2011 03:36 PM

Circuit of the Americas

Check out their website
Circuit of The Americas

So far F1 & Moto GP but surely there will be track days for those close enough to enjoy it.

Later,
Richard

Seagull81 06-29-2011 05:14 PM

The Austin City Council voted to back the F1 Track for the next ten years. That opens the door for them to get the state funds for the next ten years, as well. They are still pushing dirt and not much to see, yet. Now all they have to do is finish up in time.

jshel1 06-29-2011 05:14 PM

Powers that be give the green light...

Austin City Council gets behind the project

Woo Hoo!!

tomh440 06-30-2011 08:27 PM

A trainer that works at our gym is Tavo Hellmunds nephew. A friend of mine sold the land for the track. I'm hopeing to have an "IN"!

KarlCSX2498 07-01-2011 05:31 AM

Places to stay?

Any small hotel, motel or bed & breakfast that are a bit out of the way or may not appeal to normal F1 customers?

I have been to the F1 race in Budapest three times and it is a great event to attend, we did the pit walk on thursday and the crowds are huge and very friendly. The grandstand seat for the weekend is very expensive, last time I paid approx.400.00

I would like to attend the austin race for sure, karl

Don 11-19-2011 11:06 AM

UPDATE: WSJ Saturday Nov 19 " Austin's Formula One Dream Stalls ":

By NATHAN KOPPEL and A.J. BAIME

" AUSTIN, Texas—Auto-racing fans plan to gather at the Hitchin' Post over beer and burgers Saturday to begin the one-year countdown to a much-hyped Formula One race here.

But the United States Grand Prix may never get to the starting line because of disputes between the local and international organizers. The local partners said Tuesday they were halting construction on the 3.4-mile racetrack southeast of downtown that has been projected to cost more than $250 million. "

Austin's Formula One Dreams Stall - WSJ.com

Dennis O'Shea 11-19-2011 11:14 AM

Formula One will be coming to New Jersey in 2013 also If you go to the F-1 web page there is a list of when the tickets and where to get tickets A friend of mine and myself are already set to go next year I have been to Montreal if you have never been put it on your Bucket list its well worth it

G-Pete 11-20-2011 07:08 AM

It nothing to do with New Jersey. It is all about the $$ and power.

Read here:

Why Austin's Formula 1 failed: Tavo Hellmund, Bernie Ecclestone and the clash of super-rich, super-size egos - 2011-Nov-19 - CultureMap Houston
:mad:
I think it's over - sad but true.

Now as usual Texas has the biggest again - the biggest dirt track in the US.

bwcobra15 12-07-2011 08:32 AM

Its back!

The U.S. Grand Prix is on for 2012

Formula One: Austin race remains on 2012 calendar - Autoweek

vector1 12-07-2011 08:46 AM

i'm in! probably won't drive though, just watch.

Don 12-07-2011 11:52 AM

AutoWeeks version with related articles. Hopefully, Bernie recognizes the importance the sponsors, advertisers, Teams, etc place on having a US race. Next step, have a US F1 Team.

Formula One: Austin race remains on 2012 calendar - Autoweek

Don 01-23-2012 08:23 AM

Somewhat different ticket policy than I recall at Watkins Glen:

" Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Tex., is launching a select seating wait list for events at the track beginning with the 2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix to be held Nov. 16-18. The list is the first of two ticketing stages designed to help fans purchase seats. "

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz1kEowrbmn