Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Want to be Owner

I have been looking at Cobra Replicas for sale and plan to buy when I find the right Cobra. In my research I have found that there is a wide spread in cost depending on the manufacturer and drive train. I somewhat undrstand difference in price depending on the drive train (motor/hp) what I'm not knowledgeable about is what is considered the best manufacture of body and frame. I'm sure there are difference in opinion on this, I'm trying to not make a mistake in what I buy, so I would appreciate it if anyone could share with me their opinion who they consider is the best manufacturer and why. If anyone has a Cobra they are coonsidering selling let me know. Thanks.....
Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '98 NAF, 428 ci w/dual 4V's, 4-speed top loader,
Not Ranked     

As with anything...it depends on your budget...i just bought mine a month or so ago after about a 6 month search. I was looking for something under $30k, which limited the field to cars that were a little older. Higher budgets ($50k + ) can go with Backdraft, Superperformance, Kirkham, ERA, etc. You can find some in the 30-40k range that are very good too...Lonestar, Factory Five, etc. The quality of the build and quality of the engine will make all the difference. I would start a list of thing you must have in the car (ie I only wanted a big block) and that will help you narrow down your field also. The other thing i did was to track cars for sale on Cobra Country, Ebay, Craigslist and Factory Five Forums and especially the For Sale here....that way i learned what the market was or was not for certain cars.

Best of Luck...it is a wonderful day when you bring it home ...

Last edited by jredford; 01-08-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The other thing you may want to consider are things like cockpit size. Some are extended (Lonestar) and other have a standard wheelbase. Also if you are racing or just cruising/street use. You should really consider going to a local club meet and talking to owners and sitting in different cars yo see what works best for you.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlan View Post
I have been looking at Cobra Replicas for sale and plan to buy when I find the right Cobra. In my research I have found that there is a wide spread in cost depending on the manufacturer and drive train. I somewhat undrstand difference in price depending on the drive train (motor/hp) what I'm not knowledgeable about is what is considered the best manufacture of body and frame. I'm sure there are difference in opinion on this, I'm trying to not make a mistake in what I buy, so I would appreciate it if anyone could share with me their opinion who they consider is the best manufacturer and why. If anyone has a Cobra they are coonsidering selling let me know. Thanks.....
First how about you answer the following questions as everyones "wants and needs" are different.

1: Your budget (be realistic)
2: Do you want a big block or a small block powered vehicle?
3: What is your intended use for it once you own it (street cruiser, daily driver, road racer, show queen, etc)
4: Do you expect to have knock off wheels, or bolt on wheels, how about wipers, heater, a top, etc?

Once you can honestly respond to these simple questions, we can then help guide you through the process to find you the best car for your buck.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

I'd add a #5 to Bill's list
5) How do you feel about Maintenece (mechanical/body/etc)?

If can do alot of the work yourself then perhaps changing engine parts, suspension/wheels/etc over time from someone else's build is not a big deal.

But if you are looking mostly for a 'get-in-and-drive' car without having to fiddle, then I would say focus highly on the build quality of the car you are looking at.

Big block/small block/etc - either one you wind up with, you'll have a car that very very few people have and some actually never heard of! any everyone will love it

So if you are mechanically inclined and tracking down issues isn't a big deal, then you probably have a much wider variety of car to choose from.

I assembled my replica myself and its been 98% done for a year now
I think in 100 years, it will 99% done....always some to play with or try a little different. but it is hands down the best car to drive anywhere.

good luck in looking!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Based on all the recent posts the last week or so on dramatic price increases on Shelby, Kirkham, Superformance etc. I'd say if you are interested in buying a Cobra I wouldn't wait too long as the used ones will probably start going up based on what is happening to the new rollers....
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

harlan,
Where are you in Texas?
The last weekend in March the Austin Cobra Club hosts the Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet in San Marcos. we have around 100 Cobras from all over the state and a few from other states. You can see almost every make of Cobra there. Some may even be for sale. Just ask and I'm sure you can get a ride or two.
Texas Cobra Meet
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Funny You Should Ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlan View Post
In my research I have found that there is a wide spread in cost depending on the manufacturer and drive train.
Harlan, this is one of my favorite threads on exactly what you just asked kit car ratings
Note that the OP "disappeared" after that thread - a "three post lifespan."
Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, for all the responses. I'm simi retired and I'm looking for a cruiser that I can do some minor mechanical tinkering. I think the suggestion to go to the next rally is probably a good one and I will look into that. I'm located in the DFW area.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Harlan,
The Dallas Cobra Club meets the first Saturday of the month every month. Watch this page for the February meeting. This past weekend was our January. I have been watching and dreaming with these guys for 4 1/2 years now. I can tell you that if you show up and ask around, they will be more than helpful in helping you make your decision. Many will offer you a ride as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#134 427 Ctr oiler 2x4's
Not Ranked     

I'm new here and just saw Harlan's post. That would almost exactly describe me. Is there a Houston area club I could contact?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Houston cobra club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG57 View Post
I'm new here and just saw Harlan's post. That would almost exactly describe me. Is there a Houston area club I could contact?
We meet the 2nd Sat of the month.

Sign on the the HCC yahoo site for info and updates.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

PM sent, harlan.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra Chassis #408, 427FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Harlan,

There's one more thing you need to take into consideration, and that is how in-shape your face is. You need to be prepared to have a permanent grin on your face while you are driving your Cobra...which may go on for hours or days at a time. Not everyone can handle this kind of pure excitement, so please do take some time to practice before buying your first one.

Here's a good read (and accurate too):
Driving A Cobra Replica
Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin View Post
Driving A Cobra Replica
Yes, good one - but how does he know "Like being in a relationship with an exotic dancer, you can never take anything for granted"

hehehehe
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Too true!! These Cobra girls know the Dance of Death, so be very careful and restrained. But having said that, these girls really know how to dance. Back on topic....do make the trip to San Marcos, you will have a great time and see every kind of Cobra there is.

Last edited by SoTxButler; 02-17-2012 at 07:27 AM..
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

OMG that is a great piece.

Thanks for posting that link.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin View Post

Driving A Cobra Replica
Would have been nice if the person who put this in his Blog had given credit to the Cobra Owner/Racer & CC Member that actually wrote it : Hal Kopple.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I know where there is a bada$$ ERA with a properly-built 427 side oiler that needs a good home and can be bought right. PM or email me for more info.

Jim
Old 02-18-2012, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please Take a look at B&B at *B&B Manufacturing - :::: - Feel the Thunder - :::: - Hotrods from Kit to Turn Key - :::: we have been in the business for over 30 years we build everything in house, and we have a very fair priced car, turnkey small block cobra starting at 29,900

thanks
Bryan
Buy US made products.