Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Poor Man's Lift (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/114399-poor-mans-lift.html)

Stoney FFR 02-15-2012 05:35 PM

Poor Man's Lift

I thought I would share my latest project. I started with some plans I got from another thread here on CC, but did quite a bit of tweaking to the plans. They lift the car up a little over 10", so with 4" ride height the frame is up over 14".

I still have a few minor things to take care of like installing stop blocks on the front pedestals, painting, reinforcing the ramps with underneath support, pins to hold it all together, etc. Man that was a leap of faith driving up there. It doesn't look like much until your in the car going up the ramps!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...a/IMAG0133.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...a/IMAG0135.jpg

dave from mesa 02-15-2012 06:08 PM

Great idea. Hope you don't mind if I borrow you're idea. Can't wait for more pics.

thanks.

SoTxButler 02-15-2012 06:10 PM

Looks good to me....make a kit out of it and sell it.

Dwight 02-15-2012 06:11 PM

lift

I would suggest adding a 2x4 in front of the front tires. It gives you something to stop the car. Of course you can jump across it but it has worked for me of several years.
Oh yes, pin the ramps, I shot one out but the car made it onto the stands. I made the pins out of fender washers welded onto 1/4" slick rod. You could use long 1/4" bolt.
Dwight

ROBERT GWALTNEY 02-15-2012 06:12 PM

I built the same lift but made it a little taller

Clayboy 02-15-2012 06:29 PM

Here is a picture of my version of Red Barchetta's lift. There are more in my gallery. Additionally there is also a detailed build sequence for both Red's version and mine on Talk@CobraRegistry.comThey are on page 2 of "Cobra Builds" under the headings: "Cheap-O Lift" and "Poor Man's Qwik Lift For Under $250."
Bob
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...pictureid=6530

Stoney FFR 02-15-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight (Post 1176041)
I would suggest adding a 2x4 in front of the front tires. It gives you something to stop the car. Of course you can jump across it but it has worked for me of several years.
Oh yes, pin the ramps, I shot one out but the car made it onto the stands. I made the pins out of fender washers welded onto 1/4" slick rod. You could use long 1/4" bolt.
Dwight

Quote:

I still have a few minor things to take care of like installing a stop blocks on the front pedestals

Thanks Dwight.. It's on the To-Do list.. Stop Blocks, Paint, Pins, Ramp Supports, Bolting to Floor, etc.. :)

Dwight 02-15-2012 07:11 PM

I don't have mine bolted to the floor. I take it apart and store it in the corner of the shop.
I have pins in the piece between the stands. Just drill a 1/4" hole and stick a bolt in it.

Dwight

WildBill1965 02-15-2012 07:41 PM

Harbor freight has some heavy rubber stop blocks, curved to fit the tire I think about $7, would work great! Fronts cold be ancored! Lifts look great!

B i l l

Xack 02-15-2012 08:04 PM

Danger! Will Robinson,

I had a Honda Prelude and I drove it up some of those metal ramps in my garage.... they scooted on the concrete floor, so I was a little more agressive. Yes, I overshot and boom! The front slammed down on the opposite side of the ramps... of course I may not have done that if I had a mirror or a spotter. It twisted up my mud flaps. I could not imagine what would happen if that was my cobra. I'd ruin my side pipes and do some body damage for sure.

I have a good floor jack and lift it up on to my metal ramps or on to wheel dollies. I don't drive any of my cars up on ramps any more. I'm lucky I learned my lesson on an old Honda.

Stoney FFR 02-15-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xack (Post 1176063)
I had a Honda Prelude and I drove it up some of those metal ramps in my garage.... they scooted on the concrete floor, so I was a little more agressive. Yes, I overshot and boom! The front slammed down on the opposite side of the ramps... of course I may not have done that if I had a mirror or a spotter. It twisted up my mud flaps. I could not imagine what would happen if that was my cobra. I'd ruin my side pipes and do some body damage for sure.

I have a good floor jack and lift it up on to my metal ramps or on to wheel dollies. I don't drive any of my cars up on ramps any more. I'm lucky I learned my lesson on an old Honda.

Your first mistake was driving a Honda Prelude! :LOL:

Thanks, I'll just have to be careful.

Joe - -

randlej 02-16-2012 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 19952

$80 and trip to walmart. Reverse them so stops work both ways. Jack up rear, place ramps, then front. Plenty of room underneath for me.

my427cobra 02-16-2012 08:36 AM

Hi randlej. Searched the walmart website but couldn't find your ramps. What are they called/part number? I'm headed over there this afternoon, so I'll look for them.

Cheers
Greg

randlej 02-16-2012 11:23 AM

I've seen them at advance auto and other auto supply stores too. Not sure of brand, etc. They stack on top of each other very nicely when not in use.

Stoney FFR 02-16-2012 09:13 PM

Those are definitely an option if you want to jack up your car. I really wanted to get away from having to always jack up the car. I plan to use mine as a permanent parking platform. I also wanted to be able to do alignments without having to continually raise and lower the car as adjustments are made.

Clayboy 02-16-2012 09:30 PM

I'm with you Joe... I always park my car on my lift. It makes doing lots of cleaning and maintenance chores much easier. There is also more room under the car when you are on a creeper.

G-Pete 02-17-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randlej (Post 1176114)
Attachment 19952

$80 and trip to walmart. Reverse them so stops work both ways. Jack up rear, place ramps, then front. Plenty of room underneath for me.

I don't understand that - lift the car and place ramps? Using jack stands would be easier and less costly.

G-Pete 02-17-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney FFR (Post 1176035)
...I thought I would share my latest project...

Not only Poor Man's Lift --- it deserves the title Smart Man's Lift too.
Good job.

trularin 02-17-2012 06:06 AM

Red posted his design years ago.

Good to see it is still being done.

I went to a Rotary when transmissions began to be a two man operation and I agged.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../DSCF00135.JPG

You can see the wood drive-up ramps against the back wall. I still use them, but the lift really makes it - IF YOU HAVE THE HEAD ROOM!!!

:LOL: :LOL:

randlej 02-17-2012 06:24 AM

I have jackstands too and use them most of the time. However, there are times when you need to work on the car with wheels mounted and car weighted as if it were sitting on the ground. Setting pinion angle on the rear and setting ride height for example.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a real lift.