• 1 Post By gsharapa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     
Default Dennis Wilson (Beach Boys) At The Track May 1966

Came across this pic tonight of Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys (Blue Coveralls) at the track May 1966.......very cool.

TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Where is this Gary?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Gary,

Great photo!

Looks like wire wheels on the front and perhaps Torque Thrust D on the rear?

- Tim
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

Great pic!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1984 Aurora Cobra Mark II #153
Not Ranked     

Have you watched the drag racing movie he made back in the 1970's with James Taylor? I think it was called "Two Lane Blacktop".

Michael
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Not exactly a drag racing movie, but more of a road trip saga that starred a big block engined tilt front clip '55 Chevy.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

San Fernando Raceway in California and the Cobra supposely was his. I wonder what number it was????

Last edited by gsharapa; 03-07-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Amazing what you can find on the internet. Looks like Dennis Wilson had two yellow Cobras (289 and 427) at the same time.

The Beach Boy With More Muscle Than a Little Deuce Coupe

By DAVE WALLACE

In this Sunday’s Automobiles section, Rex Roy writes about the ’32 Ford hot rod immortalized on the cover of the 1963 Beach Boys album, “Little Deuce Coupe.” The coupe, customized first in Detroit and later treated to a top-chop by the legendary George Barris, has been restored to its cover-model glory and is in the hands of the original owner’s son.

Earlier this year, Brian Wilson, the leader of the Beach Boys, told AutoWeek that he didn’t recall any of his brothers and bandmates being heavily involved in cars or drag racing, as one might suppose from the numerous Beach Boys hits.

But as many people have documented, Mr. Wilson’s memory may not be what it used to be. His brother Dennis used to bring not one but two Shelby Cobras to San Fernando Raceway in California in 1963-64. One was a A/Sport 427-cubic-inch roadster that he power-shifted on the strip, the other was a matching yellow 289 Cobra.

At the time, I was a kid working the pit gate for 50 cents an hour. My dad was the track’s reporter, photographer, record-keeper and trophy man. I remember Dennis politely asking our small crew that his name not be announced over the P.A. system, nor mentioned in race reports. And he was referred to only as “Mister X,” an identity that would occasionally appear on the list of class winners that my father typed each week for local and racing newspapers.

Though regular racers and spectators knew the mystery man’s secret, they left him alone. I only witnessed one request for an autograph — from my father, late one Sunday, on behalf of my younger sister. Dennis asked for her name, personalized the signature on one of the day’s timing slips, collected his cheap trophy and hit the road with his pair of yellow Cobras.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

This is the first I have heard of Dennis Wilson having not just one, but 2 Cobras. He had good taste in cars.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

If it really took place in 1963 or 64, it's unlikely that he had a 427. I'm sure that Ned will correct me if I err (admittedly, a rarity), but the big block Cobras were born in 1965.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Mark, Dave Wallace's article was recently written, so it was based on memory. They must have guessed at the dates as being '63-'64, whereas the date on the photo was May 66, by which time Dennis could have had both a 289 and a 427.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 2343-SOLD
Not Ranked     

Hey great pictures. I remember Dennis Wilson from San Fernando drags. I had a 289 Cobra and the first time he went there he borrowed my seat belts and shoulder harness so he could run his cobra that day. My cobra held the B sports record for a whole year. The next time I saw him there, he had built his cobra up and was turning some really good times.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Awesome pics Gary! Thanks for posting! Mark