Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Machine Shop Ft Worth Area

Just starting engine build. Bought a 95' 351w from Stones and need to find a good machine shop. Fingers crossed that it will magna flux ok.....If not any other recommendation on were to get another block without buying new?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

we have a boneyard down here in san antone that could hook you up,
get yours checked you'll probably be fine
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Arlington Automotive Machine in.... well, Arlington.
817-261-9022

He can do all the work. Magnaflux first. Then bore, deck, hone, and balance your rotating assembly. First take him your block. Then if it clears the flux, take the rotating parts, cam bearings, freeze plugs, oil plugs, and flywheel. He will get it all ready to assemble. I let him install all the plugs and cam bearings. Not much more $ and I didn't want to buy the cam bearing install tool.

I watched Craigslist for 351W motors. They come up all the time. It is just a roll of the dice on what condition the block is in. Either that or buy new.

Since yours is a roller block, make sure you check out this link. Print those pictures and take them to the machinist. Make sure he checks out those areas. The corral forum is a great source for the 5.8 Windsor.

Last edited by Texasdoc; 12-03-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Old 12-14-2017, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdoc View Post
Arlington Automotive Machine in.... well, Arlington.
817-261-9022

He can do all the work. Magnaflux first. Then bore, deck, hone, and balance your rotating assembly. First take him your block. Then if it clears the flux, take the rotating parts, cam bearings, freeze plugs, oil plugs, and flywheel. He will get it all ready to assemble. I let him install all the plugs and cam bearings. Not much more $ and I didn't want to buy the cam bearing install tool.

I watched Craigslist for 351W motors. They come up all the time. It is just a roll of the dice on what condition the block is in. Either that or buy new.

Since yours is a roller block, make sure you check out this link. Print those pictures and take them to the machinist. Make sure he checks out those areas. The corral forum is a great source for the 5.8 Windsor.
Called arlington automotive today and going to take my block in the get it checked out. did you buy a complete rotating assembly with crank, rods and pistons? I called blykins and he said that once the engine was machined I could give him a call and he could put together a complete crank, rod and piston kit. I will defiantly use him for the heads and cam. Also did you do an internal balance or external.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Yes, I bought the rotating assembly from blykins. First get the block checked out. Eddie (the machinist) will tell you how far he will have to overbore the cylinders. Once that is known, call blykins for the complete rotating assembly. I run .030 over, some 351 blocks can be taken to .040 over but I wouldn't go over that on a stock block.

You can decide if you want internal or external balance. Mine is external but I don't rev it over 6k so I was fine with external. Just make sure everything matches and let eddie know so he can balance the crank correctly (once you get it from blykins).

Eddie will want the block, crank, rods, pistons, balancer and flywheel so he can balance everything. If you want to balance the pistons and rods, you can do that part.

You will also want to take him your intake to mill if he has to take any metal off the deck.

If you are going to build it yourself, I'd recommend the book "How to rebuild small block ford engines" by Tom Monroe. It is old and doesn't have pretty pictures, but it has lots more detail than the ones with pretty pictures.

Also, study this forum. There are lots of posts when people (especially blykins) who give little pearls on building. Like using DOW 732 to seal the intake to the heads.

Last edited by Texasdoc; 12-15-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Old 12-15-2017, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great!! Thanks for the info