23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2002, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Emissions testing in Texas

On May 1, 2002 emissions testing will be required on all cars in Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso Harris and Tarrant county which are registered as 1978 (24 years) or newer. My Cobra is registered as 1985. How is this testing going to affect us? I don't know if I would pass emissions testing (no catalytic convertal, et al).
Old 04-30-2002, 08:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

You probably won't pass the emissions. If you can I would go today..the likelyhood is that it won't be around in a year because of the lines.

The new test requires the car be put on a chassis dyno and run up to temp and speed. Takes a while for each car and the machine costs $60K...mostly only dealerships are getting them right now because of the costs. I also understand that if the car is newer than 95 they don't have to do the dyno just the regular pipe test but the lines will be long and a pain.

Like I said go get it done today and then you at least have a year to fix it.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 04-30-2002, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Some ideas on this:
1. Exercise civil disobedience...just don't get a sticker! Ignore it. Best exercised in combination with #2.
2. Register your car in a non-attainment area (outside the Metro area involved). Then, ignore the inspection, and if you ever get a ticket, you have 10 days to get one at any station outside the attainment area and show it to the court, and the ticket will/should be dismissed.
LOL
Old 05-01-2002, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ken

Sorry buddy but your statement is not exactly correct.

In Tarrant and Dallas county the rules have changed. I don't know about the other counties. If you recieve a citation in these two counties the fine is $190.00 and is due "with" a copy of a receipt for the inspection. A friend of mine is a Tarrant county judge and they have been told to enforce this "VERY" sternly.

Also if the inspection sticker is more than 90 days expired they in some cases are impounding the car, and will only surrender it to a certifed shop to provide an inspection. Then the car is returned back to the pound where it can then be picked up by the owner.

Another nightmare for us Cobra guys. I am glad mine is registered as a 1966. Now to get those antique plates.

Also the larger cities have been given very large grants to enforce the seat belt laws in Texas. Cities with more than 10,000 people have been given $3,000,000.00 for this effort. The smaller cities are supposed to recieve a smaller portion. The traffic cops are looking at your seat belts so put them on. It is my understanding the fines are going to double this year as well. That would make them about $400.00 in Tarrant County.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks

Last edited by 4RE KLR; 05-01-2002 at 06:37 AM..
Old 05-01-2002, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As for seat belts, are only lap belts required?
Old 05-01-2002, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can't answer that one.

It would be my guess (and we all know what happens when we asume something). I would guess that if the car originally came with only a lap belt they would be hard pressed to require additional belts. HOWEVER, is the car registered as a 65 or 66 or is it regisered as a late model car. The late model cars came with three point seat belts.

Another tidbit guys. It is my understanding that the late model cars have to have third brake lights as well 1986 or newer.

The saga continues.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 05-01-2002, 04:07 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Angry I Have Been Told .......

I was told, that if you have a 5 point harness, you have to be wearing all of it, not just the lap belt - it depends on what you have in the vehicle. You HAVE to have what is required for that year, but if you have more, you have to use it.

I did not hear this directly from a knowledgable source; I am just passing on what I heard - I guess that is the defination of a rumor!

Dave Lowell
Old 05-01-2002, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, you're absolutely correct...where be my head?!? What I wrote applies to Harris County (but for how long?). I had heard from a niece that Williamson County (Round Rock) has been doing the $190 routine for about a year. The TX Transportation Code stated that the judge had the right to dismiss the ticket upon proof of passing an inspection within 10 days, but that $190 is easy pickin's I guess...point well made. Sorry for the misinformation. And, I believe Dave is right, you GOTTA have the minimum, but if you exceed the minimum belt reqmt you GOTTA be wearing them all...DOH!
Old 05-01-2002, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Seatbelt Law (actually Safety Belts)

If you are occupying a seat with a safety belt installed you must wear it.
However, a lap belt is a safety belt. I think that this is open for discussion with the local agency if you need to wear the shoulder harness. In the Texas transportation code is does not address what makes up the safety belt due to the fact that not many five point harnesses are in production vehicles. I , as a police officer would not write a ticket for a lap belt only (heck I wouldn't write a Cobra owner anyway) but you never really know what the next Officer will do. I would think that it is an affimative defense to prosecution that a lap belt minus the shoulder straps is a safety belt.

Just my 2 cents...

Todd
Old 05-02-2002, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You know, we all spent the money for the five point harnesses, you would think the least we could do is wear them. I have not been in th epast but I guess we should all start.

Todd,
Your right, being a police officer you more than likely would write one of us a ticket unless we really needed one. But there is no telling what your compadres would do in the same situation. The truth of the matter is we should be useing the harness anyway.

What can you add to the emmissions delima. The first thing that came through my mind was the auto makers were trying to sell more new cars, because of the way the new law is written. "When the car is out of warranty and we are no longer responsible for repairs, you must then pass a rigerous emmissions test, or you could come and purchase a new car from us". Not in those exact words of coarse.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 05-02-2002, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

I always were 4 points (don't use sub belt much) of my 5 point harness. Not just for saftey, they make a great fashion statement!
Old 05-03-2002, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve- re: emission testing- it has nothing to do with car manufacturers- it has everything to do with the EPA. Car manufacturers HATE emission testing because it costs them tons of R&D money to keep up with the laws. Money better spent on aesthetics. If possible, register your car as a pre '74 or register it in a rural county. buy a p.o. box in Brewster county and register that way. you will be exempt from Dallas testing because you are registered in a VERY rural county. Saftey belts: wear them, dammit. there is absolutley no reason not to. laziness is not a valid reason.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well mine is registered as a 66 so I think I am ok with that. I just need to get the antique plates so I only have to go thriugh the BS every five years or so.

I always wear the seatbelts, there is no reason not to.

Ferrari Killer
Steve Parks
Old 05-03-2002, 08:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Angry Where can I find........

a link to the Texas WEB site so I can read the new law, word for word? I'm very interested in knowing the exact wording of this new requirement.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jwoodard, the link I found is http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tntoc.html for the TX Transportation Code, and
http://lamb.sos.state.tx.us/tac/ appears to be a link to the TX Admin Code. LOL
Old 05-03-2002, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

oddly enough I am now in the precarious emissions boat. I just purchased a new SPF and am attempting to register it as a '65 thru Titles Unlimited. wish me luck....now, my Elegant Cobra is registered in Texas as a '66 ford replica. has anyone else seen that before? How to apply for Antique plates?
Old 05-05-2002, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's the deal on the new emissions testing.

There's going to be 2 types of emission testing.
The first test is for vehicles 1996 and newer.
They will plug into the vehicles ON BOARD DIAGNOSTIC (OBD) port
and check for codes, inspect for emissions equipment required for the model year of the vehicle. Also perform a safety inspection.

The second test is for vehicle 1978-1995.
They also check for codes, inspect for emissions equipment required for the model year for the vehicle and also perform a dyno emissions test. Also perform a safety inspection.

So if your vehicle is registered as a 1978-1995 you are going to have the hardest emission test.

For the ones that have theirs registered as a 60's model all you have is a safety inspection.

And new comers that are looking to build,
get it registered as a 60's or drop in a New Engine with all the computer hardware.

And if you think you're going to recycle your sticker!
They're coming out with a new sticker that tells what type of test
was performed. OBD or ASM2.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Go to www.airchecktexas.com for all the skinny....

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 05-06-2002, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What about the low mileage and individual waivers? If you fail you may qualify for these.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1Badasp

How do you qualify for these waivers and how do you request?