Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Texas question??

I may have to transfer to Texas to keep my job, so I wanted to get some information. I work for Shell oil, there is talk of shutting down the refinery where I work, I live in Bakersfield California, there are other refineries shell has here, but they are in L.A. and the bay area, I do not want to live in either, so after talking to my family, we would consider Texas, my choices would be 1 of 2 refineries, Deer Park or Port Arthur. Would someone be kind enough to give me the highs and lows of each area? Home prices, neighborhoods, the house I have here is about $250,000.00 range so thats about where we would end up most likely, We don't want to live in the big city, but don't want to live in the sticks either!! Any help you can provide would be great as we have never been there!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Gordon, both areas or similar in nature to Bakersfield...but the cost of living is just about 40% of what you're used to out there. Deer Park has the advantage (?) of being near the big city, and Port Arthur has the advantage of NOT being near a BIG city (though Beaumont has just about anything you'd need, with Houston about 100 miles away). Both cities are weighted toward blue collar, fairly pleasant people. Pasadena cops are a pain in the a$$. Port Arthur is heavy union, liberal; Deer Park seems to be more conservative, less union.
Standard of living in Deer Park/greater Houston area is higher than Port Arthur/Beaumont area.
FWIW, Jefferson County (Beaumont/Port Arthur areas) is the most litigious county in Texas, and one of the worst in the nation due to the available typical jury pools in that county.
Not sure what the unemployment rates are, but pretty sure Port Arthur's is higher than Deer Park's. How far would you be willing to drive? 20 miles in Houston area = one hour or more; 30 miles in Port Arthur = 35 minutes. For an up-scale community you would have to look 10-20 or so miles away from Deer Park. There are decent areas in Port Arthur, but you might also be prepared to get a place outside of town.
Good luck!
Old 02-27-2003, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Right in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country - Boerne, Texas,
Send a message via Yahoo to Blake Olson
Not Ranked     

Gordon,

You can find some nice neighborhoods and commute to deer park(humble/lake houston area...especially with the beltway).

I was born and raised in houston, so I'm kinda biased.

Part Arthur Beaumont..hmmm...i'd take houston. More cobras!!

Glad to hear you're thinking about Texas!!!!

blake

"Charlie Don't Surf!"
Old 02-27-2003, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     

Ken pretty much summed it up.

You might want to contact Naja/ Frank Newman here on this board. I think he lives in Deer Park and may be able to give you some insight.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I don't understand what the discussion is about? Your moving to Texas home of the biggest Cobra Club

Welcome Son!!!!!! your going to have a good time.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 02-27-2003, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Gordon, out here everything within 150 miles is "just down the road". Given that, you've got a heck of an area to find a house in!

Hope you decide to come out. We're always looking for new friends to join in our TCC meets!
Old 02-27-2003, 02:54 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     
Default YOU'RE ONE LUCKY GUY !!!

On top of being able to live in Texas, College Station isn't on
the option list !
Old 02-27-2003, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

YOu will be able to live like a king in Texas at either place due to the lower cost of living. You get alot of house for the money. You can afford a garage large enough to house your Cobra.

Texans are use to traveling long distances to go places. It is not unusual to travel 60 miles one way to go out to dinner. When I was in high school, we played against teams located a couple of hours away one way. The reason the auto manufactures sell so many big cars and trucks in Texas is that Texans love to travel. Texans love Texas and they have gotten use to all the outsiders coming into the state. They love independence. They still have the cowboy spirit. If you have a choice to go to Texas for the oil business, you should like it there.

By the way, it is not too far to drive from either place to the beach. The difference is that is California they have to wear wet suit to go into the water because it is so cold. In Texas, you can go in little more than you birthday suit.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Gordon, Ken pretty much summed up the differences in the two cities. Pt Arthur used to be a big labor union stronghold, but no more, times have changed. Personally, I hate heavy traffic so Pt Arthur area would be preferable. But I do travel every month to Houston for the Cobra club meetings.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Gordon, One thing about moving to Texas, you will need to learn.... a few new words like OIL is pronounced Aul, like your in the Aul beeniss. Welcome to Texas, some people were lucky enough to be born here, the rest of us got here as fast as we could. db
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 02-27-2003, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the comments guys, I have never been to Texas, my wife has been to the Dallas area once to visit her niece, she said it was ok. My parents are from Oklahoma originally, came to California when they were really young, like 9 or 10, thay visit every couple of years there now, my Dad says I wont like the humidity, chiggers and snakes
I looked at a couple of real estate pages, but I don't know the neighborhoods, but it sure seems like you can get alot of house for the money, how close can you live to the beach in either deer park area or port arthur and not have to commute 2 hours?? I am 10 minutes away here so I guess I am a little spoiled, sorry for any dumb questions or comments!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Claunch

Thanks for all the comments guys, I have never been to Texas, my wife has been to the Dallas area once to visit her niece, she said it was ok.
Well if your wife has only been to Dallas, then she hasn't been to Texas yet... as much as I love Dallas (I've lived here all my 42 years), Big D is about as UN-Texas as you can get, what with all the yankee corporate preppies relocating here from god-knows-where. Too much concrete and glass for me, and I for one will be ready to retire and move ASAP.

HEY BLAKE!! Want to rent me a room down there in Boerne? I'll wash the buses for ya!!!!!!

Oh yea -- if it was my choice, I'd definitely go to Port Arthur before Deer Park -- Houston has even more concrete and glass than Dallas ... and almost as much traffic!!!

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gordon, from Pt Arthur refinery to the beach is less than one hour. Driving a Cobra or a fast boat can cut the time considerably! Some live at beach and commute to the various refineries/chemical plants in the Pt Arthur area. From Crystal Beach to work you have about 60 miles with two or three stoplights on the trip! Sabine Pass is less than 25 miles away.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Right in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country - Boerne, Texas,
Not Ranked     

Bob,

c'mon...man..got plenty of room in Boerne. We just had an opening...We just hired a new tour manager for Cory. What else could a guy want?

Tour manager duty:

1) Ride around the country in a 3/4 million dollar tour bus
2) Play in front of college age women in bars 4 nights a week.
3) Get the money from the promoter
4) Make sure there is plenty of beer on the bus and on stage.
5) Your in charge of which girls get to come on the bus/backstage after the show.

Man, I really miss those days....

blake
(in the office now)

"Charlie Don't Surf!"
Old 02-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blake, how much would I need to PAY to get a job like that?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Gordon,
These Texans will welcome you with open arms. Our loss is their gain.
One little advice....Don't mention the "O" word again. If you do, you will find yourself chased all the way to the Panhandle.

TURK
Old 02-27-2003, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ahhhh.... I understand Turk!! I won't make that mistake again

Old 02-28-2003, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: specialty motor car (out of existence) 351w 405 hp. c6 auto.
Not Ranked     

Gordon,

I lived in Bakersfield for a while, it was like driving a Chevy.I moved to Texas its like driving a COBRA. So where is the choice?

Bob Taulbee
Old 02-28-2003, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake Olson

Bob,
c'mon...man..got plenty of room in Boerne. We just had an opening...We just hired a new tour manager for Cory. What else could a guy want?
Tour manager duty:
1) Ride around the country in a 3/4 million dollar tour bus
2) Play in front of college age women in bars 4 nights a week.
3) Get the money from the promoter
4) Make sure there is plenty of beer on the bus and on stage.
5) Your in charge of which girls get to come on the bus/backstage after the show.
Man, I really miss those days....
blake
(in the office now)

DANG!!! Do they need a back-up guitar player? I have references ( does the "Stretch Williams Band" carry any weight? )
Attached Images

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 02-28-2003, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bob,

lets just start our own band!!! We can go around to all the cobra club's and play "hey little cobra" !!!

blake

(man..look at my haircut...oh well..that was 7 years ago in New Orleans)
Attached Images

"Charlie Don't Surf!"

Last edited by Blake Olson; 02-28-2003 at 08:18 AM..