12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2003, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Default Date for next years meet

There has been a bit of talk about changing the date of the Austin meet to the first part of March due to weather. I did a little research...because I woke up too early and could not go back to sleep....and found some weather info you might find interesting.

Here are the Temps and Conditions from Feb 15 to March 21 2002

Feb
15 67 degrees clear
16 62 degrees clear
17 63 degrees clear
18 67 degrees Mostly Cloudy
19 73 degrees clear
20 72 degrees clear
21 75 degrees clear
22 62 degrees clear
23 70 degrees clear
24 74 degrees clear
25 70 degrees clear
26 35 degrees overcast
27 48 degrees no report
28 55 degrees clear
March
1 53 degrees fog
2 38 degrees clear
3 41 degrees clear
4 55 degrees clear
5 63 degrees clear
6 71 degrees overcast
7 72 degrees mostly cloudy
8 68 degrees overcast
9 57 degrees clear
10 55 degrees clear
11 51 degrees rain
12 71 degrees clear
13 80 degrees clear
14 80 degrees clear
15 76 degrees overcast
16 57 degrees overcast
17 62 degrees mist
18 73 degrees scattered clouds
19 73 degrees mostly cloudy
20 62 degrees overcast
21 69 degrees clear

Given that info I sure don't see a reason to change it. If someone would like to do a multi year analysis go for it, but guys let's face it, we live in Texas and the guys with the phd's can't even predict our weather.

My opinion would be to set the date at the last full weekend in Feb and leave it there. I just don's see a move to March being much of a benefit.

I'm sure Ryan and the Austin guy would love to hear what you have to say on this so they can lock this sucker down for next year.

Remember it's your club so speak up!!
Old 03-01-2003, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Dennis,

If you are going to sample the average weather between the two months I think you'd need to look at 5 years of so vs. just last year. I kind of like moving it to the end of March for a couple of reasons:

. It typically is warmer - even your 2002 analysis suggest that
. The trees would be budded out more vs the winter look on the
cruise.
. Give some people a bit more time to finish their winter car
projects or updates. I talke to several guys that really rushed
or didn't quite get down so that could help as many update their
cars over the winter. I know Paul put his car back together that
week............
Old 03-01-2003, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys we need to remember as well that the later in the year we move the event the more people are going to be out. This alone could cause more not to show up due to spring shows and more tourist being out. This has for the past four years been our first yeraly outing I like it that way.I know alot of people want to move this even my wife but I think we should look carefully before we leap.

Maybe some of the Austin crew could go to Greene ( for example) and see just how crowded it is when the weather is really nice. I bet we would all be surprised if we could find One parking space let alone 70.

just my .01 not worthy of.02
Old 03-01-2003, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: specialty motor car (out of existence) 351w 405 hp. c6 auto.
Not Ranked     

Guys,

I have been to Texas Motor Speedway in late March for the last 4 years, It has rained every year for some part of the weekend. I don't see where we would gain by moving the date, its still a crap shoot.

Bob Taulbee

Last edited by fordnut; 03-01-2003 at 08:38 AM..
Old 03-01-2003, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you all have a problem with March , Then move it to April. Warmer and prettier. Feb. sucks.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

Keep it the same. Every year for 4 years now the day of the event has been great. The saying, "March; in like a lamb, out like a lion." is for a reason. We get way more rain in March. Just my $.02

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 03-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     

I'll save my comments for later but as for the date I vote leave it alone. Hell tell me one year it has not rained in Tulsa for Mid America and that's in June!

Same hotel...Use the lot across the street for pictures as the Origin is starting to suck for photograpy. I do like the idea of cruising during the day and winding up back at the hotel for dinner......BUT...BOOK THE HOTEL NOW! Bottom line.......just tell me where and when and I'll be there even if it's 30 degrees...love that factory air conditioning.

Gary
Old 03-01-2003, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I vote for mid March or April!
Old 03-01-2003, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HELLO, HELLO, for those of you NOT paying attention, Rain is not the friggin problem!!!! Hell it could rain 10 minutes from now, we're wanting in WARMER so move it up 6- weeks or so and if it rains its much more bearable. Hill country is too pretty to miss in April. That's why we love Tulsa, In June its 95 degrees and a blast to be in shorts and a tee so what if it rains. It's all about the temperature!!
Old 03-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

I don't care when we meet! I'll be there! Current date is OK by me.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default If ain't broke....

Like the old saying says if it aint broke.......I'm in no matter what time of year!

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 03-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

I am in either way BUT I do prefer moving it to late April. I would rather take the chance being caught in rain when it is 75-80 degrees as opposed to 45-50 degrees.

Though the drive is quite nice now, I can think it would be even better with the spring in bloom.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 03-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Weather Comparison

Dennis had a good idea so I decided to expand on that and add the historic averages for the dates.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I vote to leave it the way it is...remember guys you move further into the year and you get less people...car season starts and race season starts....

Temperature is great but the mean between the end of February and the 2nd week of March isn't a huge difference..

Its the people not the cars and I want to continue to have as many people attend as possible.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 03-01-2003, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I vote for April. I will be there no matter what, The hotel is 5 min from my house but I would rather drive in the rain in April rather than Feb.

James
Old 03-01-2003, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Talking

Iiiiiiiiiittt wwwwwaaaasssss nnnn'tt rrrreeeaaaalllly thththattttt cccollllddd oooncce ththe goooddd ccleann bbooze sstartedd fllowwing
I'm there either way. My vote is for late March early April
Steven
Old 03-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default A few people have brought this up...

What am I missing here????? Why do we get less people moving the date two months later (I vote for the end of April)? It is still ahead of summer break (school). Also, what kind of racing would get in the way of this event?

Not trying to be sarcastic, it is an honest question ( I am a little slow).

Last edited by James Baldwin; 03-01-2003 at 11:05 PM..
Old 03-02-2003, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Watch out for SXSW

One thing to be carefull about March in Austin is the South by Southwest Music and Film Festival. It is a nine day event spanning two weekends in the Middle of March and it brings in a lot of people from out of town. I believe it allways lines up with UT Austin's spring break.

When this event is going on the hotels are going to be much fuller and I doubt they would be as cooperative with us on parking, block reservations, and most likely room rates.

So with that in mind, talk of moving the event to later in the year puts it into late March or early April. I personally am fine with the event being anytime but I wanted everyone discussing this to be aware of SXSW in March.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

April is GREAT!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Cool I still say leave it alone

As I said before, I don't think we should move the date. If we are still gettng a better and larger turnout every year, and people are still having fun and enjoying the people, why mess with something that is clearly working very well.

Was it a little chilli on Friday, Sure it was....I have a jacket. Cammer had worked out a deal with the hotel to have a party inside....It was us that did not have the sence to come out of the rain

Do I want to deal with spring breakers, a huge live music fest, people not showing up because of easter plans, spring break, local car shows (since april and may is when they kick off in ernest), race season....all a big no. Plus the chances of rain greatly increase in March and April...I truly believe more people will cruise their cars on a brisk dry day than they will on a warm wet day. Of course there are insane people like Me, Bull Durham and John R that will drive them any day...a special kind of crazy

This being one of the first big events of the year and the lack of other scheduling coflicts, I think is very important and part of the reason for out growth.

If you want to see the spring flowers, you can always go back to Austin, it does not close and I am sure the guys would be up to a cruise during any of their monthly meetings. I did the hill country cruise twice last year myself and yes it is pretty in late spring and summer. Traffic is greater (and slower) then due to the increased number of people looking at the flowers and trees. Keeping the group together and having a little speed fun with a group our size would be next to impossible. If you are cruising with 3 or 4 cars that would be differend but 70+, no way.

So far our best reason against keeping it as is, was that there was a chill in the air....to some compelling...to me no. I hate the cold more than anyone in the world. I won't even live north of Conroe Texas because it just too cold where you northerers live

The one good thing is that this is being talked about. Although I strongly disagree with those that want to move it, I completley respect their opinion. Thanks to you guys with a different opinion than mine for stepping up to the plate in this discussion.

Ryan and the Austin guys have to make the call so it is important to give them clear feedback. From the past events its clear we will make it whenever it happens so I don't think we have to tell them that and I don't think it helps those guys make the decision. It does not matter what side of the fence you come down on but please don't sit on the fence (and of course it's always better to agree with me ) so that Ryan and the Austin guys get a clear message of what the majority of the club wants.

Last edited by Dennis Mosley; 03-02-2003 at 06:54 AM..