Old 03-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     
Default TKO-600 Transmission buying group

Hello all,

As a few of you know, I have received quotes for the new TKO-600 that is due out in about 1 week. So far, the volume price has brought the price down to $1502 (standard WD is $1618) Retail is +/- $2000.

Unless we can find another source, I will probably place the order in the next week. Now... since the transmission are not in yet, this will take some time before they catch up - so we may need to be patient for a few weeks.

Here is who I have potentially ordering so far.
John R
Jim W
Don
Alan
Todd
Ted
Tom K.
Morris
Myself

Please send me an email or post here if you have changed your mind or found a better deal. Don't worry, I won't order them until I talk to you personally.

If anyone else would like one, let me know and I will see how much it brings the price down.

Thanks
James

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...

Last edited by James Baldwin; 03-16-2004 at 09:25 PM..
Old 03-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #89 Keith Craft Genesis 427 so, stroked to 482, 649 hp. Sabre GT 40 #16 351W stroked to 408, 527hp, TWM stack injection, Fast XFI, G50/50.
Not Ranked     

James,

Thanks for doing this. I am still in. I think alan wanted one too, you might give him a call.

John
Old 03-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reminder. I thought I had him listed. I will correct it. Plus, it looks like we may have another.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Red face Wow James, you had me scared for a minute!!

James,
I just logged on and saw your thread after we spent some time over at Barbara Fleshers house! When I read the list I about had a cat!!! I saw the first name listed-John R. and almost fainted!! Then I read the next entry and say the post by John Ross, and I very slowly exhaled.............Whew!!
It wouldn't have been the first time
John R.
(as in the other John R)
Old 03-15-2004, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James,

I went to your pictures to see if I could recognize your car from the Austin event. I met so many people that I can't remember if we met, or not. Anyway, your car is beautiful. I'd love to hear the details on it, and when you expect to be finished.

The reason for this email is to get you to educate me on the TKO 600. I have not heard about this tranny, and would like to know more. I have Stretch's old car, with a TKO that I'm very happy with. And, I'm in the process of building a "pro-street" car that I was thinking of putting a TKO in with a blown '502' big block chevy motor. I'm wondering if I should add my name to your list for the '600'? Where can I go to get more info on it?

Thanks,
Rocket Man
Old 03-15-2004, 06:16 AM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

haha - - John Russell- I just thought you needed a new transmission so I added your name. Sorry for the heart attack.

Ted,

I will post more info on the tranny a little later

Old 03-15-2004, 06:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

James-
When is the earliest you think you may be ordering the transmissions? I may order one, but but won't know for sure for 1-2 weeks.

Thanks,
Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-15-2004, 06:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

FYI-
Here's the information on the transmission:

TTC INTRODUCES AN ALL NEW LINE OF TREMEC TKO 5-SPEED TRANSMISSIONS

FARMINGTON HILLS, MI — The new line of TREMEC TKO 5-speed transmissions was designed with flexibility in mind. The unique internal shift-rail system accommodates up to eight different shifter locations, ranging from 14” to 27” from the face of the bell housing. An optional shifter provides a 2” offset, left or right of the centerline, virtually guaranteeing a perfect fit in any stock console. The rear cross-member bolt pattern will fit both Ford and GM applications. All models come standard with an electronic and mechanical speedometer pick-up. Other standard features include a neutral safety switch and a back-up light sensor. Adding to the flexibility is a high-performance, billet aluminum, short-throw shifter. This specially designed shifter isolates road noise, while providing a clean crisp feel. The shifter has a unique biasing system, which is adjustable to fit any driving preference. Consistent with all TREMEC transmissions, shift stops are not necessary, since the stops are internal to the transmission.

“Achieving torque-carrying capacities in excess of 600 lb. ft. from an 83mm box is no easy task,” said Jon Vieth, Product Line Manager, TTC. “Sure, we make 18-speed transmissions rated at 2,050 lb. ft. but you can’t put one of those into a passenger car. In order to achieve the desired torque capacity, we went to a higher alloy steel (4615) on all gears and shafts, increased the diameter of the output shaft to a 31 spline, and eliminated the woodruff keys on the countershaft by going to a one-piece design from the previous three piece. The shift forks were completely redesigned and are now all made from cast iron and use a three-pad contact system, virtually eliminating any deflection,” continued Mr. Vieth.

According to Jim Averill, Marketing Manager, TTC, "The redesign of the TR-3550 transmission product line officially started nearly two years ago when we held a focus group meeting to obtain customer input. We gathered additional input from our distributors and the two racing schools (Bondurant and Panoz) that we sponsor. All of the feedback supported our findings from the customer focus group. With the introduction of the all new TKO-500 and TKO-600 in early March, we can deliver a 5-speed overdrive transmission sure to fit just about any application, including street rods, muscle cars and kit cars. The optional gear ratios make the TKO perfect for street, strip and road racing.”

Available models and gear ratios:

Model
Part Number
Typical Application
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
Reverse

TCET4615 TKO-500
Ford

TCET4617 TKO-600
Ford

TCET5008 TKO-600
Ford

The cut and paste didn't work that well, here's the link so you can see the above in chart form.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/news/20news.asp

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-15-2004, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James,

Assuming your offer is open to me, please add me to the list. The only thing I'm not sure about is the overdrive ratio I need. I'll be putting the tranny behind a blown big block Chevy, in a 4,000 lb car.

You can reach me at (405) 623-2690 to arrange details.

Thanks,
Rocket Man
Old 03-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w stroked 427 w/ 750 potatoe
Not Ranked     

I am very interested also, please add me to the list. Hopefully this can help get that price down even more. These guys are just down the raod from me.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I may be intrested also... Whats the details... How does money transfer and how R they shipped! A Little more inf would be great.

Rgds

Rob
Old 03-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry for the delay but I have been swamped today .

A bit more info this evening. I spoke to the rep and he said he is again working on the quote. Now that we have 7+ I am trying to get the price down a bit but it doesn't look like it will drop any so far.

As for details, he will confirm the drop ship info by Wed. and the deposit amount by the end of the week. I am trying to work it out so each order is done directly through them. I would much prefer to have everyone deal direct if possible (I am sure you would too).

I am out of town towards the end of the weeks but will try to wrap everything up by that time.

Here is something else to consider. I have have a quote on McKleod hydraulic TB and bellhousings ( I post them tomorrow when i am back at the office). Does anyone need one or are you going with Lakewood. Lakewood is about $200 cheaper though I do not know about the quality (I did not have problem with mine but have heard stories).

One thing we need to work on is the spacer that is need for the tranmission to mount up to the bellhousing. Companies like Fortes can provide a short input shaft but I am checking into our options as well. The McKleod quote for the bellhousing included this spacer I believe - I will verify though.

By the way - there is a one year warranty ont he tranmissions

Anyway, that is the latest. I will keep you informed as we go.

Thanks

Last edited by James Baldwin; 03-15-2004 at 07:44 PM..
Old 03-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

More tentative order (don't worry, you are not committed yet)

Ted - added to the list - I don't think there will be a problem getting the Chevy version but I will check

Todd - Added to the list

Mike -(Chaplin) Probably order at the end of this week or beginning of the next - as soon as we get the final quote and I have all the details for everyone.

Have I missed anyone?

Rob - Maybe

Old 03-15-2004, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Shelby Aluminum 427, stroked
Send a message via AIM to Roxie_427
Not Ranked     
Cool

[Raising his hand ala Horshack]

Oh! Me, me, me! Please?!

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-15-2004, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James,

Depending on how the shipping and money transfer is done I may be interested in one Trans.

Does the 600 have the same external dimensions as the TKO II?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Shelby Aluminum 427, stroked
Send a message via AIM to Roxie_427
Not Ranked     

GregN,
According to http://5speedtransmissions.com/tr-3550.html the TKO 500 and TKO 600 share the same case and dimensions as the 3550, TKO, and TKO II.

Hey guys, I have another question. I had my heart set on a TKO II with the .82 overdrive gear and something like 3.08 in the rear. Now that the 600 series is here and the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are taller, I might have to rethink about the rear gear. Maybe 3.25 or 3.50 in the rear would be good. Of course, then I might consider the .64 OD gear for good highway crusing.

I have a spreadsheet that plugs and chugs these combos, but I'd like some experienced opinions on what effective ratio is good for launching on street tires. Also, what rpm is reasonable for highway cruising?

I'm so confused!

Tim

Last edited by Roxie_427; 03-16-2004 at 06:21 PM..
Old 03-16-2004, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

James

Did I understand you ..... Mcleod has the bell housing and spacer and TOB and Clutch..... one complete unit....

Just bolt up the trans ....is this right?? or is there some over sight...

If so yes I'd like to join you and the others TKO 600 .... My KMP is still in the early stages....

Morris
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Morris,

I don't know if you know this or not, but Kirkhams will require mods to the frame to accept a TKO.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dreamer

They haven't started on the car as of yet ... we're still working out some details....

But I'm hopeful they know how to make the modification that Chris K made and can do it....

I'll send them the gear box and hopfully they can make it work...

I just hope the TKO 600 is as strong as a Top loader.... I like the 5 gears... especially with a 3.5 or 3.7 gear....

Morris
Old 03-16-2004, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James

The more I thought about it .... Yes count me in .... and I'll just send it out to David and Tom at Kirkham's....

Thanks for allowing us to participate...

Morris