LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     
Wink Good cruise day.....

It sort of a last minute thing, but Larry R., Richard and Nate P. and me (4 cars) headed out at around 9:30 this morning for a 3 hour ride. Cloud cover made it very nice for all but the last 30 minutes. Went through Flower Mound to Justin, then Ponder, Krum, Sanger....across Lake Ray Roberts dam.....to Pilot Point then 377/380 back to I35 and home from there. 3 hours of fun and only saw 3 patrol cars the whole way. Not that they would have had a reason to stop us ;-)

I would have called you all early this morning but I know you slept in 'til 11, and did not want you to miss your beauty sleep time.

Last edited by jdean; 05-26-2008 at 02:11 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

John...that route would be great for a POKER RUN! Meet in Highland Village or Flower mound for breakfast and first card plus map of stops and then head out. Then we could hook up at Rudy's in Denton for the last card, lunch and distribution of the Poker Pot.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

Sounds great guys, thanks for the invite..........NOT!!!

Actually, last week I picked up the new engine, dropped it in Saturday, plumbed it back up Sunday, and started it up yesterday morning all by my itzi. (I'm so proud of myself) Then Yancey & I cruised 50 miles in the afternoon. Hot & humid. Not too comfortable, but well worth it.

A couple of hitches; runs over 100d C at times. Also, for a 3 minute time period the alternator gauge went crazy and the engine sputtered and coughed. But there after ran like butter. The gas gauge also decided to go on the fritz. Probably protesting fuel prices.

Tonight, I'm heading to Forney to meet Jim J Cups and the snotty #22 for a Sonic cruise.

Ain't life GOOD
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 05-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

So John, how'd the ERA do? Any issues so far? My windshield is due in from England this week according to Cobra Restorers. Would like to get that done before Mid America. I changed out my speedo gear .. 19 tooth now is right on per the GPS. Also put in a new alum catch can as the plastic one melted

Steve .. congratulations on being a big boy and getting it done! Electrical problems .. hmmmm, maybe have a look at those battery cables we had trouble with. And make sure you hooked up all the ground straps to engine, tranny, and panel.

Sunday, I took the Cobra over to the nearby assisted living center and loaded up a WWII vet and brought her over to our house for dinner. When I shut it down in our driveway, my 92 yo Mom said .. "this thing sounds like it needs to go to the garage!" Then as she stepped away from it, she turned around and patted the rear fender and grinned

Sam
Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The ERA did very well. It runs cool, never above 200 even idling in heat. Handles smooth and stable blasting past 100mph. I think gas mileage is averaging near 13 even with hard highway cruising (some short bursts of near-WOT) but I will check for sure when I top it off again. I would not believe this except Parkers' 521 monster is getting 15 or better on highway crusing at times.

I had run through the solid lifter valve lash settings a week ago, and have it set a bit tighter than spec. by .003-.005, but it purrs along.

So best I can tell we put about 130 miles in for the day.

Jim Jacobs - how is Snotty running now that he is out of re-wiring jail?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh yeah Steve,.....when you can drop your own engine back in without TITS, that is a huge accomplishment. Got film to prove it?

Just kidding, glad you are back on the road.....maybe after more breaking in the temp will settle down some.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #968 / Genesis 427 Aluminum S/O
Not Ranked     

John,

If you're looking for your small mirror and feeler guages, I have them. You left them when you dropped by a while back. I'll get them to you the next gathering.
SPF #968 w/ Genesis Aluminum 427 S/O
CVAR vintage racer: 1965 Mustang Fastback w/ HP 302
Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry, I agree it would be a great Poker run....and we could be done and in Denton by 11:30am or so. Now.....with Tulsa coming up when could we plan it?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

We're heading out early Thursday morning going direct to Hallett to do tech and drop the Coupe & trailer. Then, head over to the Marriott, register, check in, and over to the cruise at Sonic.

I figured we could all discuss a Friday tailgate at the June 7th breakfast meeting and go from there on who's bringing what. I have found that this group can react and respond instantly...who needs planning? Looking at the past thread on "Who's going to Tulsa" it appears there will be about 15 or more from DFW.

For the June meeting, how about the IHOP at Old Denton and Geo. Bush and then at 9:30am go over to Sam Pack's collection on Diplomat (if it can be arranged)?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Follow up to previous post:

Well, I topped off the tank and it took more than I thought....I got 12mpg instead of the optimistic 13-14 I was hoping for. I was just curious about the new car since it was by far the longest stretch I have driven it to date.....I am not that concerned about it otherwise I would exert more control over my right foot. But 12 aint too bad for heavy footed blasting down the highway with a 427 with a toploader (1:1 4th with 3:31 rear)
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default 12 is pretty good!

I've been getting 9 mpg with my 482 .. mixed driving, some city, some highway. That's the same mileage my Escalade gets, btw .. of course that's while towing the enclosed car hauler with the Cobra in it!

The C6 is getting 19 in town now .. Wheeee!

Sam
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Facotry Five Daytona Coupe 392 Ford Racing
Not Ranked     

Hey John - Steve and I ran our cars up to the Sonic in Forney Tuesday night and Snotty seems to be running fine. There are a couple of minor issues that need correcting. I'm waiting on a new tach to come in and the fuel guage wasn't working. However, I really need to get some miles on him to make sure we've solved the puking problem.