Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Operation Comfort '09 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/99708-operation-comfort-09-a.html)

mtpockets 09-17-2009 12:39 PM

Operation Comfort '09

Great news, they want us to come back. Really, Janis and the guys have been asking about us and this week we confirmed a date with them.
http://www.operationcomfort.org

On Saturday, December 12th the Houston Cobra Club will be heading just south of San Antonio to the Lonesome Dove Land and Cattle ranch. This ranch is owned by Vietnam veteran and his wife and they graciously donated some buildings for Operation Comfort "Automotivation" to use for restoring cars and rehab for the wounded soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan. Last years event drew 30 Cobras and over 50 people to show our appreciation for the sacrifice the soldiers have made. We'll rally at the Guest House Int'l on I-37 less than 5 miles from the ranch at 10:30, caravan there, stay for 3-4 hours, visit, give some spirited rides to the soldiers and the kids, spend some time in their shop and probably work on someones car (was it Andre' or Phillips last year). For those that want to spend the night, we stayed at the Guest House last year and went to the Riverwalk for some adult beverages and TexMex that night. For those that didn't make it last year, go to this link to read some of the stories and how we were touched by these young men and their families.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...ration+comfort

They have a wish list of some items they need for the shops please help out where you can. They understand everyone is tightening the belts and budgets especially just before Christmas but spend some time with these folks and you'll be touched by their stories. I have some miscellaneous tools around my garage that are either not being used or duplicates I'll be donating and they love gift cards.

I'll post more as the time gets closer. We're up to 10 Cobras and 20 people so far from the Houston Group. This is an open invitation to the entire Texas Cobra Club, your families, friends, neighbors, other car clubs, motorcycle clubs etc. If you know someone with media ties, please let them know what's going on, we need lots of publicity for this cause.

Here's the wish list>>>
10 lb. spool of .023 welding wire
drill set (s)
full ratchet set (s)
full socket set (s)
full wrench set (s)
portable air compressor
floor creeper (s)
floor seat (s)
goop soap
work bench (s)
shop rags
Matco Tools gift cards
They are also interested in purchasing a used car hauler if any members know of one for sale.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...image00212.jpg
http://www.operationcomfort.org

"God bless all the soldiers"

Cobra #42 09-17-2009 12:51 PM

Guys, I have a new creeper and a floor chair both in the box that I will be happy to donate. Come on DFW guys let's get behind this and make a trip to the South of Texas. Don't let those guys from Houston out do you. db

WildBill3 09-17-2009 04:38 PM

My car Hauler is for sale 26ft 5k axles 110+ 12v lighting,it has a few dings but it been good to haul with 4k
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...mustang006.jpg

mtpockets 09-17-2009 04:49 PM

Trailer

Wild Bill:
Thanks, I'll send it to the Op Comfort folks and see if they're interested.

Don, really appreciate the donations. Best of luck to you guys at RNG this year, way too much on my plate to make it this year but I'll start planning for '10.

Gregg(What's his name)? 09-17-2009 07:02 PM

Wild Bills Trailer

What if we start passing the hat to buy the trailer for Operation Comfort????? Just an idea.

mtpockets 09-18-2009 06:11 AM

Trailer Update

**From Tom at Operation Comfort**
We could use either kind. I think the open trailer would be most versatile because most of the vehicles we move are not running and an open, low-boy trailer should be a little easier to load.
Thanks and let us know about either one.
Tom

When I saw they were looking for a trailer I sent them an email asking if they want an open or enclosed trailer. One of their current projects is placing the body of a World War II weapons carrier on the chassis of the 1984 Ford Bronco that they took to the SEMA Show last year. Not sure it would fit in an enclosed trailer. I'll wait until they respond and get back to you.

Clois Harlan 09-18-2009 07:47 AM

You all know how passionate Jay is about this cause and he will do everything in his power to help these guys because not only is he vocal about their cause he also puts his efforts into their cause as well. As you know if you have ever came to Run N Gun over the last 3 or 4 years they are our charity and last year with the help of all the participants, manufacturers, and Mr. Jay Nordstrom we raised over $12,000.00.

Good luck with your cruise to SA if I can make it I will. That just happens to be my wifes birthday.

Clois

mtpockets 09-18-2009 07:57 AM

Itinerary

Tentative game plan for the Houston group is as follows:
Others skip down to #4

1) Meet at Bass Pro Shops @ Katy Mills 6:30. There are gas stations, Shipleys, Denny's etc right there.
2) Depart heading I-10 west to San Antonio @ 07:00. There were some problems getting out of the parking lot and headed west last year that slowed us up a bit, we can discuss the correct exit out and on to I-10 that morning.
3) Rest stop, gas stop, stretch your legs at Buc-ees in Luling.
4) Rally point, GuestHouse International on I-37 south. We need to arrive here at 10:00. It took us a good hour to unload, stretch our legs and get loaded up. There is ample trailer parking and the rooms were reasonable.
5) Caravan into the ranch 10:45-11:00

Map below. We'll take the front entrance to the ranch this year staying off the kaliche road.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=UT...816c39e97f97e2

GuestHouse International
13800 IH-37 S
Elmendorf, TX 78112
(210) 633-1833

Totals this afternoon:
35 attending, 17 Cobras, Please keep me posted with names, guests and if you're bringing your Cobra

Gregg(What's his name)? 09-18-2009 08:32 AM

Austin group

The group will start working on our plans to meet with the Houston group. So we can all drive in together. We can discuss off line and do final coordination when we get closer.

LREYBURN 09-18-2009 01:22 PM

I've got a Harbor Freight gift certificate to help these warriors fulfill their wish list. Jackie will also donate several dozen of her famous chocolate chip cookies...guaranteed to create flavor bursts that 'll put smiles on their faces. Planning on attending this year with the Coupe.

Where is the rest of Dallas/Ft. Worth? Let's discuss this subject Sat. Oct. 3rd.

Seagull81 09-19-2009 09:31 AM

Greg,
Last year we met the Houston group at the hotel and everyone lined up and cruised together. I am glad we are going a different way this time. That road last year was a dust bowl and I wasn't in the back of the line.
I hope we can get a good showing from the Austin club.
See Y'all there!

PARKERPOWER 09-19-2009 01:17 PM

I have a 16ft open trailer I will donate. It needs a new floor. If your interested I will take pictures Monday.

Richard

davidk 09-21-2009 10:51 AM

I'll plan to join you this year, being in San Antonio anyway. I can catch up with the Houston guys at the hotel and convoy in. I may have a guest interested in attending and will update once I get confirmation and I'll also plan to drive the Cobra.

David

mtpockets 09-21-2009 11:05 AM

More interest everyday

Dave:
Thanks for joining us, this is a very memorable time for everyone involved. We look forward to meeting you.

If anyone has contacts with the "Kit Car" companies, Factory Five, Shell Valley, ERA, etc, please try to enlist their help. This is a great publicity venue for them. Right now we have 26 Cobras and 49 people signed up. We are already in contact with Backdraft, Lonestar and Kit Car Builder magazine.
Remember, local and national TV, radio, newpapers, magazines. The more exposure for Operation Comfort, the more help the soldiers will receive.
God Bless everyone for their continued support and God Bless the soldiers and their families.

mtpockets 09-24-2009 06:42 AM

Head count

Good morning:
As we go into the weekend and some of the other Texas groups are maybe having their monthly meetings please keep me posted with a head count and whether you're bringing a Cobra. Please include names and how many in each party are attending. This information is so the folks at Operation Comfort know how many to expect but also for the news media. PM or email is fine for this infor. I hope everyone has a good weekend and thanks in advance for everyone's help.
PS: we have something big we're working on right now, can't discuss in detail yet, but hopefully we'll get the bugs worked out.

Seagull81 10-01-2009 06:36 PM

I have posted this on the Austin Yahoo Group. Hopefully I can get our group to join in again. I'm in for sure.

mtpockets 10-01-2009 08:24 PM

Welcome Austin group

Steve:
Really glad to hear the Austin group is joining in again this year. Hopefully have a big announcement to make this weekend, working out the last few details now. Janis and the guys are really excited about us coming back this year. The outpouring of support from the TCC family is amazing. Thanks for your help with this, it really means alot to the soldiers and their families. God bless>>>

Gregg(What's his name)? 10-02-2009 05:41 AM

OPS Comfort

Steve,

I plan on going down attending this year. I need to stretch the cobras legs. SHould be a good time.

mtpockets 10-06-2009 04:35 PM

I need your thoughts>>>

A couple weeks ago two HCC members started discussing how it would be cool if the Operation Comfort "Automotivation" team built a Cobra replica and auctioned it off to raise money for the charity. These two guys happen to both have Lonestars that they built from scratch. They contacted Brian at LSC and he's interested. Janis at Operation Comfort spoke to the soldiers and they're interested. They have a complete shop and paint booth and I'm certain they could complete the job.

This is a trial balloon, I need to know if there's interest in the Cobra family out there, not just the Texas group but the entire family to help with this? LSC is willing to help with some of the cost, Operation Comfort has been contacted by previous donor/sponsors asking how they can help this year. We're currently working on a list of items and their cost to complete the Kit for Janis to present to the donor/sponsors. OC is a 501(c)(3) charity and you'll get a receipt for your contribution. Contributions should be made through the OC website http://www.operationcomfort.org/ and specify the contribution for "Automotivation Cobra Build". Follow up with an email direct to Janis ( jroz814@yahoo.com ) with your name, contribution and that your contribution was for "Automotivation Cobra Build". OC will build the car and auction it off to raise money for the soldiers. Other manufacturers have expressed an interest in the next project (Lonestar this year, FFR next etc, etc). A Kit Car magazine has expressed an interest in covering the story.

The most difficult part given the state of the economy is to ask for donations. It's also sort of short notice, just over two months to get the funds in place. LSC's kit I understand can be purchased in stages. What are your thoughts? Complete LSC kit minus motor, trans, clutch is ~$20,000. If we could raise $3-$5,000 to get this started maybe we could get some corporate backing, sponsors and other donors for parts to complete the project.

Bwana Snake 10-08-2009 06:26 AM

mtpockets,

I think this is a great idea I built a LoneStar and have several components left over from upgrading my kit that I would be glad to donate; Grant steering wheel and a set of ceramic coated side pipes for a 351W come to mind. I am sure some of the other LS builders have components that they would donate.

Bwana Gary