Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Billboard letters (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/136492-billboard-letters.html)

spitfun@aol.com 03-16-2018 04:22 AM

Billboard letter stickers

1 Attachment(s)
I bought my tire stickers from Tiregraficx. They will sell you any size combo you want-I went with the smaller "EAGLE" and larger "GOODYEAR" lettering to make it look more accurate. I also ground off the existing letters from my T/A Radials, I think they came out looking pretty good... Rich

FUNFER2 03-16-2018 06:33 AM

WOW.....Rich, they look great ! :cool:)

I have a set of the original Billboards that I haven't ever mounted, and have thought many times about getting stickers for my Good Year ll.

Please explain your process and was it difficult to grind the letters, how long did it take ?Any photo's of during the job ?

How long have they been on ?
How do you clean them what is used ?

Thanks.

RB60 03-16-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitfun@aol.com (Post 1440630)
I bought my tire stickers from Tiregraficx. They will sell you any size combo you want-I went with the smaller "EAGLE" and larger "GOODYEAR" lettering to make it look more accurate. I also ground off the existing letters from my T/A Radials, I think they came out looking pretty good... Rich

What height are the "GOODYEAR" letters? They look to be 2". I contacted Tire Stickers about theirs, they recommended 1 3/4" for my 15" wheels. The BFG's I'll be replacing with Cooper's this spring have 1" letters. I think I'll put the lettering on before the tires are mounted and balanced.

spitfun@aol.com 03-16-2018 02:30 PM

I just followed the directions from TireGraficx for installation-just use what they recommend to clean them and use the supplied glue for installation. As far as grinding the old letters off goes,I just used my Dremel with a small grinding wheel to take them off. It took me about 6 hours to do all four tires,read the reviews everyone seems to like the product. Rich

ShelbyStang 03-19-2018 07:43 AM

Tirestickers

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitfun@aol.com (Post 1440630)

Dude I think those look awesome! I got some tirestickers a few weeks back and I love them!!!

FUNFER2 03-19-2018 08:09 AM

What did you guys use to grind off the letters/numbers and was it easy or a ***** ? :LOL:

spitfun@aol.com 03-19-2018 09:57 AM

Read my prior post....

FUNFER2 03-19-2018 01:47 PM

Sorry, I went past your post.

Labor of love ? lol

Might be a winter project. They look great.

Ron61 03-20-2018 06:34 AM

Not the solid Bill Boards but here are the tires that came on my 1969 NASCAR Cobra. They are now 49 years old but are still on the car.

http://talk.cobraregistry.com/attach...2&d=1519239659

Ron

FUNFER2 03-20-2018 06:46 AM

Ron, they look great ! (No pic, but in my mind their great) :JEKYLHYDE

Mark IV 03-20-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNFER2 (Post 1440867)
What did you guys use to grind off the letters/numbers and was it easy or a ***** ? :LOL:

We use an air angle die grinder with a Roloc "conditioning disc" Easy, peasy

Ron61 03-20-2018 02:09 PM

Kevin,

You mean that you can't see the picture? I see it OK, but maybe others can't either. If so I will try to fix it.

Ron

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNFER2 (Post 1440917)
Ron, they look great ! (No pic, but in my mind their great) :JEKYLHYDE

FUNFER2 03-20-2018 02:29 PM

Sorry buddy, nothing.

Sometimes if using my wifes tablet, I won't see a pic, links etc. Here and on other forums, if someone posts several pics, it says the photo is not valid,...WTF ? Lol :JEKYLHYDE

Facebook is strange, as it does not show full content ?
I bought a new laptop, just haven't set it up yet. Hoping it'll be better than this tablet.

FUNFER2 03-27-2018 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Question about lettering this tire.

I love the tread look of this Mickey Thompson that is close to the Billboards, but is is discribed of having a "wrinkel wall like a drag slick".

Would the stickers be effected ?

spitfun@aol.com 03-27-2018 05:17 PM

I don't think they would be that soft of a sidewall ( like a dragster rear slick), if they are your car is not going to handle very well at all.. Rich

FUNFER2 03-27-2018 06:52 PM

Hopefully not Rich. A lot of Pro-Street guys use them.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s.../sportsman-pro

spitfun@aol.com 03-27-2018 07:03 PM

Pro-Street means going straight, Cobras won road races by handling well,but it's your car. I think the stickers should be fine,they are rubber and flex with the sidewall.

FUNFER2 03-27-2018 07:14 PM

Of course they are, and their not a drag race only tire now are they. Their fat and and softer compound for for the street. I'm sure the side walls are not so thin that they would be dangerous. But I'll look into it.

dcdoug 08-23-2018 09:50 AM

I used Ranger tire paint and a stencil to paint AVON onto my Avons. A few edges of the painted letters started to pull loose when I removed the stencil (despite using a razor blade). Any suggestions on the best way to glue them down so they don't peel the whole letter off when I'm driving the car?

Dab of super glue? Other?

frankym 08-09-2022 01:33 PM

I am in a waiting period - waiting for the raceline digital stencils. Here’s what I’ve done so far, after reading so many posts here. I ordered stencils from vanessacreations on ebay. I found these before deciding I would wait to receive the more vintage look from Raceline. I used a rotozip and 220 grit sanding rolocs to flatten the raised black lettering. Then used a palm sander to even out the surface. Used Wesley whitewall cleaner and water and scrub brush to clean the rubber thoroughly. I applied stencils and then used Ranger paint, with yellow, brown and black tints from mixol, and added distilled water to thin it. Then I used a gravity feed sharpe gun to spray. 2nd coat applied after 30 minutes, removed the stencil about 30 minutes later. Came off pretty clean. Checkout my test tire.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1658867876

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1660077619