LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Mickey Thompson Sportsman STs are also available at 15". They have a more traditional tread pattern.
https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/mickey-thompson-tire/sportsman-s-t-radial-tire/

Cooper Cobras are the same compound and tread pattern as Mickey Thompson STs. According to the techs I spoke to at Cooper and Mickey Thompson, the MT STs and Cooper Cobras are the same compound and tire, but have different patterns on the sidewalls.

The Coopers are about 30% less expensive than Mickey Thompsons, and in my area are in stock at Discount Tire, but it takes a few weeks to get the MTs.

As an aside, Cooper Tire owns the Avon and Mickey Thompson brands.
There are differences in the tread pattern between the MY S/Ts and the Cooper Cobras that are substantial. Despite people contending they are the same tire, only the carcass is the same. The sidewall design and the entire tread surface are different with the MT having tread features that enhance performance.
Alfa02 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-14-2018, 04:50 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

The same that Mark IV said, Plus my ST's have a Treadwear of 400, and Coopers are 440, might be a small difference, you put all those thing's together say's totally different tires to me.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB60 View Post
Well, I went to the tire center I've dealt with for many years and the owner and I settled on Cooper Cobras (he gave me a good price). I'm also considering adding the Goodyear Eagle F1 lettering kit from TIREGRAFICX (has anyone used these before?).
RB,
Hope you're as happy with them as I have been. One advantage--at ~$100@ it doesn't break the bank to change them out every few years, which is probably good practice regardless. (You'd be doing it every 3 years or so with Avons because you'd wear 'em out, and that would be ~$500@!)

AC
Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Couldn't outdated old tires be considered...."improper equipment" in the event of state inspection or something bad occurring??
Old 02-15-2018, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker53 View Post
Couldn't outdated old tires be considered...."improper equipment" in the event of state inspection or something bad occurring??
There always is that risk that if something bad happens and you knew about it and did nothing that you could get charged. A couple of years ago in this vicinity there was a guy who new that he had a bad wheel bearing and kept putting off getting it fixed while he saved the money. One day the bearing gave way, the tire came off his truck and struck and killed a person. He was charged with manslaughter when it was discovered that he knew that the bearing was bad and still drove the truck.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker53 View Post
The risk from hitting an old tire carcass, nail, bottle or whatever on the road is 100 times greater than having a blow out from the tire being old unless it is really dry rotted, you are doing well above the speed rating, or it is massively under/over inflated.

I have a buddy that owns a tire center. He has never seen a blow out from old age unless the tire is literally dry rotted. He said the most common cause is under inflation. The outside edges of the tires are gone.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

I have had it happen twice. Tread separated both times (literally unwrapped). Not improperly inflated and not overloaded. Decent tires. Maybe it would have happened on newer tires also (i.e. They may have been defective). But why would you drive a Cobra around on old tires if the risk of a problem is increased at all? Not worth it.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Then maybe you shouldn't be driving since the chance of hitting something on the road is much greater than a tire blowing out from being 10 years old. Getting in an accident within 5 miles of your house has huge potential. Park the Cobra and buy a tank. You will be safe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: