21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

Center section cut out and new center section welded in?????? Dangerous and probably not very cost effective?

Odd, that as I look at the front of wheel up close, right in front of me (or photos i posted) you can't see any evidence of weld cut and replaced

or if it was, the guy must be the best metal worker in the nation!

I'll go along with cobrakiwi

Any trigo wheel owners out there that can post the inside of their wheel(s)

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 08-10-2019 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Misspellingling
Old 08-10-2019, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

So, to settle this once and for all.
I sent above photos to Trigo and asked what the "welds", or "flaws" were, and here is their response, word for word.

Here's the email I sent to Trigo:

There some "experts" on Club Cobra forum there saying that these wheels were cut out and new center section welded in!
Other, more sensible people are saying it's just a "flaw" in the casting.
I have NO problem with the wheels, they are a fantastic product!
I'd just like to clear this up with the "experts"

BTW, the wheels were purchased in 2007 by previous owner

Thank You
Wayne McAllaster

Here is Trigo's response:

Hi Wayne

Your wheels were produced on our gravity cast tooling that we retired about ten years ago. The ridges are neither cut-outs or flaws, they are merely casting marks left by the older tooling. In fact, we still use gravity casting for our FIA wheels and they exhibit these same marks to this day. They look scary but are harmless.

I hope this info is helpful.

Curtis Pendergrass
TRIGO WHEELS

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 08-10-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Old 08-10-2019, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't trust any repaired wheel under stressful, e.g., track, conditions.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was more aesthetic than structural, the wheel still held aiir.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

First time I have seen any wheel casting like that before, and as Curtis has said, looks scary but are harmless.

So now, back to what caused the damage in the rim in the first place?

Gary
Old 08-11-2019, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No idea, it had to happen when tire was off, it's obvious damage happened from inside.maybe droped, I suspect it happened when I had new tires installed. No way to know for sure. Did not notice the "crack" till a couple of months after new tires, my guess some dirt got into the crack and therefore it became more noticeable.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 08-11-2019 at 03:13 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SSSS View Post
No idea, it had to happen when tire was off, it's obvious damage happened from inside.maybe droped, I suspect it happened when I had new tires installed.
Sorry to hear that.

I can't imagine what a tyre fitter would be thinking after dropping a wheel and seeing that, or possibly not seeing it.

Glad it has been sorted now.

Gary
Old 08-11-2019, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

I agree, that wheel was dropped when the tire was off

Years ago I had a similar situation, I had to have a tire fitted to a brand new front 427 trigo wheel.
The young guy fitting the tire damaged the rim.
I questioned the damage, he tried to tell me the damage was there before he touched the wheel.
My next conversation was with his boss, very stand up guy, he understood what had happened.
He asked for the price of the new wheel and passed a check to cover the price of another wheel, including shipping and tire install. ( very stand-up )
And yes I went back with the new wheel and they did a proper job installing the tire.

Accidents and mishaps happen, its how the problem is taken care of / resolved that shows character.
427SSSS, BigGuy, Gaz64 and 1 others like this.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

My wife had a blow out on the Interstate in her Highlander SUV a couple years ago and the tire had a pretty big cut in it through the thread. She said she didn't remember hitting anything and thought it just blew out. I took it down to the tire shop to have a new tire put on it and after they removed the damaged one they called me into the shop to see the wheel. Apparently she did run over something and it not only sliced open the tire but put a nice ding to the inside of the rim. It wasn't really an issue where it was and didn't reflect through to the outside so the wheel is still on the car. But it's possible that sometime in it's life something similar happened to that tire/wheel and put a bigger ding in it that did reflect through.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The wheel looks like an early Trigo, they were cast in Anaheim,ca. , the Like you see is from the top core insert the allows the mould to cast a 6 pin wheel or a 5 pin wheel by changing the mould insert in the top core. The mould was old and had worn from use , so there was now a gap at the insert od and the metal would fin into the gap . Once cooled and the mould was opened and the wheel ejected it produced that jagged line , looking like a crack or tear.
When they came to us to produce the 427 wheels new low pressure moulds were made to produce the wheels , so that line is gone. I think the wheel only says cobra II and the size on the face. They are sold in 15" by Trigo , Team Three Wheels / E-T Mags and Trigo also supplies Vintage.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I had a bent center section in a three piece wheel. Could not find a replacement center used and had it welded. After the welding it was bent a lot more and I had to take it out of service....too bad as by then it had a brand new Hoosier slick on it.

Anybody need a 16" slick?