Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/)
-   -   So hard to choose....new shoes. (Tires) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/144557-so-hard-choose-new-shoes-tires.html)

fixed66 03-04-2021 05:15 PM

So hard to choose....new shoes. (Tires)

Hey everyone,

So it’s time to replace my nostalgic good Year eagle 2s. I have search high and low, not interested in billboards because only drove my car two to three time a month... Avon’s are just too expensive for me right now... so I have narrowed down to Mickey Thompson S/Ts. But before i pull the trigger anyone have Mickey’s, and can give insight? Any other thoughts on tires. Superformance 427FE mostly Sunday drive, occasional track maybe one or twice a year. Let me know your thoughts. 255/60r/15s Front 275/60r/15s rear.

sgianino 03-05-2021 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed66 (Post 1489918)
Hey everyone,

So it’s time to replace my nostalgic good Year eagle 2s. I have search high and low, not interested in billboards because only drove my car two to three time a month... Avon’s are just too expensive for me right now... so I have narrowed down to Mickey Thompson S/Ts. But before i pull the trigger anyone have Mickey’s, and can give insight? Any other thoughts on tires. Superformance 427FE mostly Sunday drive, occasional track maybe one or twice a year. Let me know your thoughts. 255/60r/15s Front 275/60r/15s rear.

I know what your feeling, ive been in your shoes before :LOL:
I like the look of the Coopers for the price, keep the black wall side out..my 4 cents.Not sure if the Coopers come in the size you need
https://www.prioritytire.com/cooper-...l-season-tire/

Sawdust 03-05-2021 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed66 (Post 1489918)
Hey everyone,

I owned Superformance #1950 and I went with the Mickey Thompson S/T’s and was very happy with them. Overall they are a great tire for the price, they made a huge difference to the handling and are great in the rain (don’t ask) I went with 295/50R15 rear and 245/60R15 front. Plus I put the Billboard Stencil Kit on them from Tredwear. They looked great.

fixed66 03-06-2021 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone!! I decided to go with mikeys abs def. going to do the stencil kit.

Thanks again all.

PDUB 03-06-2021 02:49 PM

Interestingly...

Coopers and MT S/T are the same tire... Coopers are cheaper, MT look better, though the latter is subjective. I had a three-way conversation with both companies about a year ago, and both admitted it. Actually, they are divisions of the same company... I was talking to one of them and he said, "Let's call and find out... !"

Mark IV 03-06-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDUB (Post 1490006)
Coopers and MT S/T are the same tire... Coopers are cheaper, MT look better, though the latter is subjective. I had a three-way conversation with both companies about a year ago, and both admitted it. Actually, they are divisions of the same company... I was talking to one of them and he said, "Let's call and find out... !"

The carcass is the same, the tread pattern is different. The Coopers are more "rain" friendly, the MT's are a little more traction hardcore.

incoming 03-06-2021 04:43 PM

And the Mickey Thompsons are round.

Dirty Harry 03-06-2021 07:09 PM

I replaced BFG TA's with the Mickey's. There seemed to be a noticeable improvement in both wet and dry traction. When these wear out or age out, I will very likely replace them with more Mickey's.

kitcarbp 03-07-2021 06:26 AM

M/T SR vs BFG Radial T/A for Street Only Front Tire? ?

Time to replace my front tires and Im looking for real world experience feedback on those of you that have owned either M/T SR radials or the host of other street radials and ran these tires on the FRONT axle. Looking for 1000’s of miles experience preferred for this group. The rear axle on my car requires a DOT drag radial ( in my case) to remain safe. I love my new Nitto 555R2 rears btw.

Im seeking feedback on front tires here. Ive driven in the rain and bright blue skies on my old Hankook Ventus 265/50-15. I understand the current limits of the tires and am actually impressed with grip for the price point. But I need a taller tire for next set and even more grip. BtW the car is 3,000 lbs with 700lbs worth of BIGBLOCK on the front axle.

My car is a street cruiser and gets driven 9 months a year so track experience feedback not needed.

Many thanks

incoming 03-07-2021 06:34 AM

No one will believe how my experiment worked out. The best $400 I ever spent. I bought a set of Vitour Galaxy R1's and put them on my FIA car. They have a V speed rating for 149 mph. I run my fronts at 24 psi and rears at 22psi. Out of the four tires, only one tire needed 1/4 ounce of weight. IMO, they are stickier and ride much better than the BFG T/As I took off of the car. My car rides smooth as glass.

When I was researching the tires, I found out that drift racers use the brand a lot. Those tires are really turning up some serious RPMs.

kitcarbp 03-07-2021 06:59 AM

Wow Vitour Galaxy? Who knew?

Thanks for this, the stuff you learn here!

Mark IV 03-07-2021 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incoming (Post 1490041)
No one will believe how my experiment worked out. The best $400 I ever spent. I bought a set of Vitour Galaxy R1's and put them on my FIA car. They have a V speed rating for 149 mph. I run my fronts at 24 psi and rears at 22psi. Out of the four tires, only one tire needed 1/4 ounce of weight. IMO, they are stickier and ride much better than the BFG T/As I took off of the car. My car rides smooth as glass.

When I was researching the tires, I found out that drift racers use the brand a lot. Those tires are really turning up some serious RPMs.

ANYTHING is better then BFG T/As on a Cobra! OK on a heavier muscle car but pure crap on a Cobra.

Azhinoon 03-07-2021 07:57 AM

On second set of SR's. First set 7 years and 5 years on second so far. Talking to locals the ST's are good also. I think the next set will be ST's. Not driving as aggresssive anymore and concerned about bad weather. traveling long distance.

1985 CCX 03-07-2021 11:42 AM

Get a sticky tire as these powerful short wheelbase cars can be a handful with the wrong tires.
Regulkar tires are too hard, made for heavier cars
My favorite is Billboards
then Avons and Dunlop
then Hoosie's

FredG 03-07-2021 02:28 PM

The FALKEN AZENIS RT615K that I have perform very well for strictly street driving. They are very grabby and give me a secure feeling when driving. The only negative I have found with them is they are not so grabby when the temperature drops into the 50's and they are cold but I rarely have the car out in that temperature.

Grubby 03-07-2021 04:31 PM

I put 15,000 on Mickey Thompson STs. They did well. I was planning to go with them again for this build.

Thanks to incoming above, I am going to give Vitour Galaxy a shot. They look like a much more performance oriented 15" tire. For 295/50R15 and 245/60R15 they are T and V rated and get really good reviews.

John

TimG427 03-08-2021 05:25 AM

I have the MT's on my car and they are pretty good, I'd still like to replace them with AVON's as I had them before and they are wonderful.

Bricklayer 03-08-2021 06:18 PM

I have Mickey Thompson S/T on my Hi-Tech. 235-60 front & 295-50 Rear. Love them! There quiet and don't throw stones like my Billboards did. Got them at Summit Racing.

incoming 03-10-2021 03:39 PM

Grubby, I don't see a T rating?

Grubby 03-11-2021 03:45 PM

Incoming,

Here is the link that shows the 295/50R15 is T rated. The 245/60R15 shows V rating.

It seems strange they are different, but they still look like the most performance oriented tire in that class.

https://www.performanceplustire.com/...s/galaxy-r1-5/

John