SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Am I OK on this?

Replacement of old, leaking Slave Cylinder…

My master cylinder is a Wilwood ¾” bore with 1.4” throw. I called Mike Forte and he sent me a ¾” slave kit with a machined bracket for a Tremec, adjustable bracket and heim joint push rod assembly for the clutch fork and ¾” bore CNC push slave cylinder.

When I first installed it and pushed the pedal, I completely blew out the piston. I mean OUT. The piston was sitting on the lip of the slave opening, pushing the clutch further in than it ever had.

I talked to Mike. He said I should adjust the pedal for less travel (along with a new ¾” CNC slave). Made sense, but if I did, the clutch pedal would be sitting further into the foot box when not being touched. The clutch and brake pedals wouldn’t be ‘lined up’ anymore. Not a huge deal but there’s more…

For $#!ts and giggles, I installed the CNC 7/8” slave that I was originally going to use (didn’t know Mike’s kit came with a slave), so I installed the 7/8” slave just to see. I understand the difference in master/slave relationships, after all, I’m married (ba-dumm, pshh). The feel is great but the slave pushrod is traveling less distance than before. Now it’s got about 1” travel [corrected from original post] compared to the original slave’s 1.125” of travel (the original slave was a generic p/u truck 7/8” bore, so I’m not sure how I EVER got 1.125” of travel, but I did).

Hear me out - it appears to be working fine. Shifts fine -TKO600 just as clunky as before . The pedal feel is great. The pedal is where I want it. The action in the clutch is at the last inch of pedal travel. With the car on stands, engine running and in gear and the clutch in, the wheels don’t move. With the car off, in gear and clutch in, I can freely move the wheels. Wouldn’t you say I have total disengagement and no dragging? Am I over simplifying it?

Last edited by rodneym; 10-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: corrected travel from 3/4" to 1"
Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

If it works - it works. I would be sure that when the clutch is released that there is a small amount of free play at the throw out bearing.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'm with Dan on this one. But give it some time, and we'll see how it works when it gets really hot, in the meantime...

Old 10-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

That was printed before I was born. Don't bother to show us the pages you've marked. And yes, the heat. That damned heat. That's the real test but the weather is cooling off!

Thanks, guys.

Now, time for my daily affirmation:
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonit, I have more miles than Rodknock.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Now, time for my daily affirmation:
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonit, I have more miles than Rodknock.
It wouldn't surprise me if RodKnock didn't have that book on his bedside table. Now, ol' Chas has the Reader's Digest, large print edition, of course, next to his bedside table....
Old 10-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if RodKnock didn't have that book on his bedside table. Now, ol' Chas has the Reader's Digest, large print edition, of course, next to his bedside table....
I've never seen nor heard of the book.

Does it contain help for those Cobra owners that like to add various colored lights both around and under their cars? There must be a chapter in the book to help Cobra owners paint their cars, including wheels, so that they'll be able to camouflage them in a desert war?

Or maybe it's one of those science fiction novels about an owner of a beige-colored ERA owner who is abducted by anal-probing aliens?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I've never seen nor heard of the book.
NY Times Best Seller, 1972. Over 15 million copies sold. It is a practical guide to Transactional Analysis as a method for solving problems in life.

I'm OK, You're OK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
NY Times Best Seller, 1972. Over 15 million copies sold. It is a practical guide to Transactional Analysis as a method for solving problems in life.

I'm OK, You're OK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Was there a book published entitled "I'm OK, You're Nuts"?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Was there a book published entitled "I'm OK, You're Nuts"?
It gets published here everyday.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I've never read a self help book.
What are they about?

Patrick. Your copy looks well used.
Has it helped you any?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I've never read a self help book.
What are they about?

Patrick. Your copy looks well used.
Has it helped you any?
Any book that adds to your knowledge, by even a modicum, is "self-help."
Old 10-21-2014, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Any book that adds to your knowledge, by even a modicum, is "self-help."
I take it you too have no need for self help books then either.
Lol
Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I take it you too have no need for self help books then either.
Lol
Unfortunately, I am beyond help. Nevertheless, I really enjoy pointing out to RodKnock that he is not well-read.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am beyond help. Nevertheless, I really enjoy pointing out to RodKnock that he is not well-read.
If your definition of "well-read" is reading one book from 1972, then yes, I'm not "well-read." But then, to achieve peace of mind and body doesn't require one to be "well-read."
Old 10-22-2014, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Patrickt, that book brings back bad memories from college. Had to read it for a course my sophomore year and almost failed the course because I did not want to journal my feelings One does not have to read a lot of books to achieve peace of mind, but it doesn't hurt either. What helps is being able to see the big picture and understand that if it works then there is no need to sweat the small stuff; there are plenty of big things to sweat in life. like a clutch slave cylinder that leaks.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
One does not have to read a lot of books to achieve peace of mind, but it doesn't hurt either.
Other self-help messages and Public Service Announcements:

Stay away from drugs, alcohol and tobacco. Exercise regularly and keep your BMI (Body Mass Index) should be under 25.

Last edited by RodKnock; 10-22-2014 at 10:39 AM..