SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default mercury transmission

i have a 62 mercury custom with a 390 4bb and a cruz o matic transmission the transmission tore up was rebuilt then tore up again in less than a year..what other transmission will fit behind the 390 the motor and trans is organal..thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Are you wanting to replace the Cruise-o-Matic with a manual transmission or are do you want another automatic?

Either way, the first thing you need to look for is a transmission (automatic) or bell-housing (manual) that will bolt up to the back of a Ford FE engine. From there the choice of transmission ought to be pretty straight-forward.

If you are asking were there any other automatic transmissions offered by Ford in 1962, as I recall during those days there was just an "automatic transmission" option, so if I had to guess I'd say that the original offering was probably just a "Cruisomatic". By the time 1972 came around there were FMX and C-4 and C-6 automatics and Ford made the decision which one to put where...if you wanted an automatic you just put a check mark on that option, paid your money, and waited for Ford to send your car to the dealer. There was, to my knowledge, no manner in which a choice of automatic transmission was offered.

Admittedly, 1962 was just as I was beginning to develop an interest in cars, so there is a fair chance I could be wrong. If I am I hope some of the more knowledgable members will correct me.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

If you wish to keep it auto then a C6 from a later FE such as 390/410/428 would fit the bill ( 410 was Mercury option ), make sure there are NO weights on the flexplate just in case you Find a 428 version. If going manual a Top Loader would be close to period correct, but will take a bit of a parts hunt to get the clutch pedal mechanism, shifter, bell housing etc.

Last edited by Jac Mac; 01-09-2017 at 10:45 AM..
Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

C4 came on line in '64, C6 debut was in '66. Ford's part numbering system at the time was the C indicated the decade. The number was the year, both in the prefix. After a space came the basic part number such as 6250, indicating a camshaft. How's that for some info you never asked for??
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Useful information, thank U so much
Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     

you can use a BB C6 tranny. They even used these behind the 427 & 428 Police Interceptor.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: cobra
Not Ranked     

I've used a BB C6 tranny during last year.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Nowadays, a lot of mfgs. are making very stout C4s. Much lighter than a C6 (and it's cast iron cousin the FMX) and for all intents and purposes bullet proof. The C4 case is smaller, so easier to mount making it a fav among the drag racers. Plenty of BB C4 options, too. For a 'user friendly' option, check out some of the up-rated AOD units (no electronic overdrive). Best of all worlds.
Performance Automatic Racing Ford Street/Strip Transmissions | JEGS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: