SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Street Beasts Cobra 427 S/C, 502 cid
Not Ranked     
Default Transmission to Speedometer Drive Gear

I have a C6 3-speed transmission. With a 3.73 rear end gear setup, my speedometer reads fast, about 27% too fast. Most speedometer driven gear calculators require you to input the number of teeth on the drive gear. Is there a way to access the speedometer drive gear so that I can count the number of teeth as I turn the rear wheels?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Pull the speedo drive out...oil is going to come out... Then put a paint mark on one tooth ...Oh , I meant to tell you to first jack it up..at least the rear wheels off the ground...so you can turn the driveshaft by hand and count the teeth.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

There are transmission/rear end/tire size calculators out there. I had to get a pink gear (as I recall). Took 5 minutes to change it out (fortunately I had a friend that had a lift so access was easy).
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

That's right , the different colors will tell you which it is
Old 03-15-2017, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     

Seems to me that you could just pull out the speedo gear, count the teeth, and multiplty that number by 1.27 and get the gear with the nearest number of teeth.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies, guys.

After some research, I've found that on a C6, the drive gear can only be accessed by removing the transmission tailpiece. So, it appears that jon@harrison.ne's method is the way to go. I just loaded SpeedView (an Android GPS-based speedometer) on my cell phone so I can more accurately determine the percentage difference between my speedometer and actual vehicle speed.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

This page may help you: TCI Speedometer Gears and Accessories | JEGS

The driven gear is most likely the one you need to replace, and there's a selection shown near the top along with ways to estimate which one may work for you.

It's on the speedometer cable end outside the trans and is easy to replace. Some fluid may try to escape so take some care...

Count the teeth on the existing gear, then select a new one that is closest to the number of teeth you decide you need.

Near the bottom there's a clip you may need.

Tom

Last edited by Tom Wells; 03-16-2017 at 04:03 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Blue/White strips
Not Ranked     

Easy speed correction calculater.

Drivetrain / Speed correction

https://lmr.com
Old 03-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post

It's on the speedometer cable end outside the trans and is easy to replace.
On ERA cars, it's a medium PITA to get the hold down bolt back in. Here's a pic of mine after I had applied some Torque Seal to it.

if you're going to pull your speedo cable off, you might has well lubricate it if you've seen even a hint of needle bounce. A detailed thread on that can be found here: Lubricating the Smiths Speedometer Cable To Stop Needle Bounce
Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF 289Comp #8955
Not Ranked     

I don't know that you'll be able to see in the hole where the speedo cable goes in to count the drive gear while in the car. Even out of the car it would be a bit tricky.
I have a C4 mated to a diff with 3:70 gears in a Triumph TR6. KAR mustang parts in Columbus, Ohio had the correct speedo gear, reads spot on much to my surprise. The car is offsite in storage presently, otherwise I could probably find the part # in the book that is in the trunk. I seem to remember different speedo gears are different colors, but it's been 10 years since I built that one, and cannot remember. Gearing is too high numerically, shifts almost immediately and revs are up around 2800 at 60mph. I'd like to change to something like 3:50 gear, but choices are limited with the TR6 rear diff.
PeteH
Old 03-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Pete,

Check my post again - the driven plastic gear is the one to replace - not the drive gear.

The driven gear is the easy one to count and change since it is installed with a little clip onto the end of the speedometer cable - you just remove the bolt, pull the cable & gear out and do the swap.

Patrick,

You'll note I didn't say it was necessarily easy to get back in

Tom

Last edited by Tom Wells; 03-16-2017 at 06:21 PM..
Old 03-16-2017, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The easiest calculation that can be done without knowing the number of teeth on the drive gear is this. Needed number of driven gear teeth = Current number of driven gear teeth x (car speed as indicated by the speedometer / car speed as indicated by a GPS). The faster you're going when you measure the speeds indicated on the speedo and the GPS, the more accurate the result will be.

How much oil can I expect to leak out of the C6 when I pull the sending unit out? Being that I'll have to do it twice (once to count the number of existing teeth, and again to install the new driven gear) that could end up being a very messy job. And Redline ATF isn't exactly cheap stuff.