Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Transmission Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/)
-   -   Hydraulic Throwout Bearing VS Standard ? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/140053-hydraulic-throwout-bearing-vs-standard.html)

FUNFER2 01-24-2018 07:24 PM

Hydraulic Throwout Bearing VS Standard ?

1 Attachment(s)
With most Cobras having the hydro slave cylinder and clutch fork, will you feel a diffetence if changing to a hydraulic throwout bearing ?

Easier clutch pedal ?
Faster ?
Less engagment (inch's) needed ?

What all would be needed to use a hydro bearing ?
I have a 428, Tremec 600, Ram Force 10 billet aluminum flywheel & clutch and a Quicktime Bell.

AMERICAN POWERTRAIN HYDRAMAX HYDRAULIC CLUTCHES

Complete kit $660 :eek:

FORD HYDRAMAX Hydraulic Clutch Actuator System for TKO/T45/3650/T5/T56/Magnum

FUNFER2 01-24-2018 07:30 PM

JEGS-
$275

McLeod 1434003QD
Hydraulic Clutch Conversion Assembly - Firewall

McLeod 1434003QD: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion Assembly - Firewall | JEGS

twobjshelbys 01-24-2018 08:07 PM

Already discussed (and recently at that). Some of us abandoned the HTOB system for a conventional system. I went through two HTOB before I gave up. Look at the slave cylinder setup by Mike Forte.

Gaz64 01-24-2018 08:26 PM

Of all the hydraulic failures I see at work, I rather run a external slave cylinder.

Far less work if it fails compared to HTOB.

Mechanical on inside, hydraulic on outside. KISS.

FUNFER2 01-24-2018 08:48 PM

Good to know guys. I'll look at Mikes setup.

FUNFER2 01-24-2018 08:59 PM

So, is this what you're talking about from Mike ?

Hydraulic External Slave For Steel Bellhousing

ninexrep 01-25-2018 03:22 AM

I installed a HTOB on my Backdraft Cobra and aside from the slight increase in pedal pressure I'm perfectly happy with the performance.

FUNFER2 01-25-2018 07:33 AM

Since it increased pedal pressure, why do you like it ?

To everyone, what are the pro's & con's ?
With manufactured cars, why don't they have the same issue's as aftermarket ?

patrickt 01-25-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNFER2 (Post 1437204)
Since it increased pedal pressure, why do you like it ?

To everyone, what are the pro's & con's ?
With manufactured cars, why don't they have the same issue's as aftermarket ?

If you can fit an external slave and fork, you'd be a fool to put in a HTOB.:cool:

twobjshelbys 01-25-2018 09:24 AM

The problem is that if there is any (and I mean ANY) misalignment then the gaskets in the HTOB fail, and if they do, it is a MAJOR task to fix, and you'll probably do it more than once. After #2 I just switched to the external slave and was done with it.

Texasdoc 01-25-2018 11:15 AM

The pedal pressure can be changed with a different master cylinder. Mine was easier with the HTOB. But, like most, it started leaking. Had to take the transmission off to fix it. I decided I wasn't doing that again so I went back to the external slave.

Dennis Mosley 01-25-2018 11:34 AM

+1 to what Texasdoc said, after having to take down the transmission to fix an issue, I converted my previous cobra to an external slave.

FUNFER2 01-25-2018 11:35 AM

Sounds like a bad design, full of troubles and high cost.

MaSnaka 01-25-2018 01:32 PM

I switched to an external slave. It took some re-engineering but worth it in the end. Pedal pressure didn't change much.

John

FUNFER2 01-25-2018 02:28 PM

How well does this type of system work in Kirkhams cars ?

maurice19 01-26-2018 09:06 AM

Kevin,

Both types work well in a Kirkham car.

I had a good 5 years on the McLeod internal until the throw out bearing failed and the gasket was toast on tear down.

I then used the Kirkham supplied external, everything included, for another 5 years with no obvious problem.

Maurice

SwiftDB4 01-26-2018 09:20 AM

Do not use a McLeod internal slave cylinder. Had mine fail 3 times on my GT40. Each time the o rings on the swivel joints leaked. Tilton or possibly others have a better design, but an external slave avoids all this. Had my external for 5 years now with no problems.

FUNFER2 01-26-2018 12:56 PM

I'll keep what I have, don't want any issues, especially in such a pain dismantle area.
Like in many products, why is the hyd clutch in factory cars better than the aftermarket ?

kyleb 01-26-2018 01:35 PM

I have the Tilton setup on a TKO600 in my Cobra now for over 5 years with no issues at all.
Have just purchased the same setup to fit to the top loader in my 66 Fastback.
Is it possible that a lot of these failures are from not setting up properly in the first place? Or possibly incompatible fluid which swells O’Rings.
The Internal slave cylinders will also not tolerate over travel..Therefore a pedal stop I feel is a must.
Cheers

FUNFER2 01-26-2018 02:00 PM

I also have the Tilton setup, brakes and clutch & slaves.
I also agree that it could be their not done correctly built. Even something simple can cause big issues.