LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default NJ/Bergen County Mechanic Wanted

Hey All:
I am in desperate need for a mechanic that can work remotely at my home to advise me on some clutch challenges I have been fighting with for 3 months. I am a novice so I am sure it isn't something major. I did hire a local mechanic to review my situation but had no impact (Basically flushed money down the toilet). He took it to his garage, said it was fine, took my money and it still doesn't work.

To start, I would like to fina a knowlegeable person who can help me trouble shoot the situation and depending on the issue, help me get it fixed (would like to try to do it myself if I can). I don't even care if they are a pro; even someone that can help me figure it out that has a few builds under their belt. Looking at starting at 4 hour engagement to help troubleshoot. Will pay cash; just give me your hourly rate and my wife will stuff you full of food (she is Greek...it is in her nature) I live next to Ridgewood, NJ.

Here is my set up:
Engine: 428 FE (built by Southern Automotive)
Bell Housing: Lakewood
Trans: 4 speed top loader
Clutch Slave Cylinder: Wilwood Pull Type (but also have push type if required)

Thanks for your help!
Khan Smith
Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

No one will come to your house, but if you can get the car there, he has helped out many Cobra owners in the NY/NJ area.

Call Nick at G&S Autoworks, he supports many local Cobra and racing enthusiasts cars....

http://www.gsautoworks.biz/gs.htm

Their shop is located right off of Rt 31 in Oxford, NJ. You will not find a more competent, reasonably priced shop in the area.

This has been a Club Cranky paid advertisement.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Stop wasting your time with a question and answer mechanic. Take it to Nick or Rob at G&S just like John said and it will get fixed and you won't have to take out a loan to pay the bill.

RD
Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John and RD:
Thanks for recommendation. I always appreciate this forum and the experience people are willing to extend; especially since I am a transplant to the NJ area from Seattle. Your confidence in G&S is inspiring.

I will reach out to Nick and Rob. Unfortunately I live about 65 miles away from their shop. I don't currently have a way to get my cobra to their shop. Hopefully they might have a way to help me get it there.

Just as a back up, I am still interested in folks in Bergen County near Ridgewood. Anyone hear of Opert Racing?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

That's OK, I am 45 miles away and I still go. You gotta have ONE FRIEND with a trailer??????

Everyone here on CC from the metro NY/NJ area that has used them has nothing but praise for them. They are also well known in the Vintage race circles.

I do not give high praise to just anyone, but to each his own.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:20 AM
86Sebring
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default how about using AAA?

If you are signed up with AAA, you migth be able to get it towed on a flatbed for free or at least very inexpensive. Well worth $80 a year, imho
Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMahon
That's OK, I am 45 miles away and I still go. You gotta have ONE FRIEND with a trailer??????

Everyone here on CC from the metro NY/NJ area that has used them has nothing but praise for them. They are also well known in the Vintage race circles.

I do not give high praise to just anyone, but to each his own.
I recently moved to New Jersey from Seattle so I don't know anyone here. Everyone I know is virtual through our board.

Anyone know any local auto haulers?

I am not a part of AAA. Will check it out.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Troubleshoot

What type of things do you need done? I might have a guy to help.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve:
Since everything is hooked up, the first thing I would like done is someone to eyeball my work and to help me trouble shoot what is wrong. The output from that analysis would instruct my next move (either easy fix for me to hauling it out to a shop).
Old 10-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Why do you think there is something wrong with your work? What kind of problems are you having that need trouble shooting?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The main issue I am experiencing is that the clutch won't disengage. There seems to be a mechanical issue with either my clutch fork or my pull type slave cylinder. I am 100% sure the clutch assembly is fine as it was built by southern automotive. Those guys are great!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Khan,

Opert racing, last I knew, specializes in Porsche.

If you get a chance try stopping by the Wortendyke (Midland Park) hot dog caboose this Friday night. There is a small car show and a number of guys who might be able to give you a lead on a local mechanic.

Chappy -- give a call when you get a chance. I am at my house all week.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

I used AAA to get my car towed back from the paint shop. There are different levels of membership. Some limit milage and the number of service calls per year.

It worked for me!

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

I would also recommend G & S Autoworks in Oxford, NJ. Nick and Rob are great guys and their work is great. Shop is also very well equiped to handle anything you need done. They have been doing work on my track car this past year. You can't go wrong.

Jim
Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Were you at Watkins Glen last weekend in a red Diasio R?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

John

No that was Bob Boucher from CT. We both run red Diasio D962R cars but his is naturally aspirated and mine is turbocharged. I was planning on also running that event but at the last minute decided to to send the car down to FL early so I can make a NASA and PBOC event at Sebring this month.

I have not spoke to Bob since the event, how did he do?

Jim

Jim
Old 10-17-2007, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Don't know, I don't think anyone set the world on fire those three days, it was cold, very cold. It rained Friday AM and most of Sunday. I left mid day Saturday.

His Diaso was pretty cool, they are really building those cars up. One of our old race buddies,Tom Raddin, had an early chain drive car (Lowenbrau paint scheme)
Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Figured the weather was going to be "iffy" - usually is at the Glen once October rolls in.

Is is a great running car, I love mine. Only issue has been getting it set up correctly. Since it is a new design (only 8 on the track now) it has taken a lot of trial and error - but it looks like a few of us are there now.

If I am correct, Bob B. also owned the Lowenbrau car a few cars ago.

Were you driving or just watching that weekend?

Jim
Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just hanging out with the guys, all my toys are currently sold. A new addition is on the horizon in the spring (track related).

Not sure who Tom bought the Lowenbrau car from, I beleive he sold it last year when he retired. That red Diasio looked pretty beefy, they are really getting a lot of tire under them now.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We are running 350's in the rear. The natural aspirated cars are putting out about 265 hp at the crank (210 at the wheels), mine with a turbo and a modest 7lbs of boost kicks out about 435 at the crank (370 at the wheels). Need a lot of rubber to keep the car on the track.

Car is actually very easy to drive once it has been set-up properly. Furthermore it is built like a tank. No concerns about safety and walking away in the event of an accident or driver error.

Jim