14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     
Default Are you happy with your Webers ?

This forum has become fairly quiet lately. Seems to be that everyone is happy with their Weber carbs and after much swapping jets and emulsion tubes and air correctors and you name it everyone is happy and their Webers are doing the job and no big issues are bugging anyone.
At least in my case I am very satisfied with the incredible performance, the instant response, the lack of problems when cornering and the race car sound.
A little hesitation here and there, because everything is not 100% but in my case, getting older makes me overlook the little buts and concentrate on the big sensations

Has anyone taken them off and sold them because they could not get them to run right?
Which are your grievances and joys? Anyone yearning after their old Holley?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I am very happy thanks to your thread "Interesting Weber Jetting" and sharing all the research you did. I read your thread over and over and it finally clicked. There is the WOW factor when you hit the gas and a WOW factor when people see them sitting on top of the engine!

I started with the traditional set up: 37mm chokes, 1.20 holders, 65 idle jets, f7 tubes, 155 mains and 210 airs. It was pig rich and and ran like crap, plugs were black as coal, and your eyes were tearing from the fumes. So much for tradition.

I have a small block Ford stroked to 331, Compcams 282S cam, and AFR 185 heads. Dropped in a set of 40mm chokes, with 1.10 holders, 65 idle jets, f16 tubes, 160 main jets, 120 airs, and 35 exhaust jets. Idle screws are 3/4 turns out. Plugs are brown and it pulls hard all the way up.

Tuning these things is like playing the slot machines. You keep buying jets, airs, and emulsion tubes, trying different combinations hoping you come up with 3 cherries. When you do, it feels like your car lost 500 lbs and it takes off like a scalded cat!
Attached Images

Last edited by Snakebit; 08-01-2010 at 04:23 AM..
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     
Default F16 tubes

Snakebit - The F16 tubes are not very common, so for everyone's benefit would you please explain the circumstances under which you choose to install them, ie; what specific problem did you have (incl at what rpm range, etc) that the F16 tubes solved? Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane,# 1060
Not Ranked     

i don't know yet been working on putting my Weber's on all week and will start it up today ,its on a 289 motor with about 350hp I'm running the48 Ida's i got from redlline.I have to trim the hood scoop hole to close the hood or get a short stack if I get the short stack I have to shorten the tube .
Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Like I said, I was running pig rich and no matter what combination I tried with the 37mm chokes and the f7 emulsion tubes, I could not get it to lean out. I called Inglese and they recommended f16 tubes, 1.20 holders, 65 idle jets, 175 mains and 225 airs. This set up was way too lean, plugs were white. So I went from one extreme to the other. Then I read Eljaro's thread and started experimenting with leaning out the main circut and richening up the idle circut. The main circut will effect the idle circut. I tried 1.00 holders with 60 idle jets, too lean, so I went with 1.10 holders and 65 idle jets, too rich. Then I started leaning out the main circut. Tried 170, 165, and ended up with 160 mains. Tried 155 mains and it ran like crap.

Eljaro's set up is a little different with a 427. He is using f15 tubes with a 1.00 holder, 65 idle jets, 150 mains, and a 110 air correctors. The f15 and f16 emulsion tubes are similar.

Bernie has a 289 set up for vintage racing. I don't know what cam or heads he is using, but he is running 42mm chokes. 1.00 holders, 70 idle jets, f16 tubes, 165 mains, and 100 airs. That's a lot of air and fuel running through a 289! But I think he used a dyno to set his up. He said he gained 15 more horse power using the f16 over the f15 tube.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane,# 1060
Not Ranked     

well I start the car .I had the linkage apart and had it a little uneven and when it start it rev'ed to the moon and suck all the gas out to 1lb and shot some flame too.So i fix the middle rod on the linkage so it was nice and even adjusted the fuel reg to 3lbs and fired it up again,It sat there on the jack stands and ran gave it some gas and it rev'ed up real nice turned the idle screw about 1/4 on each side and let go of the throttle and it sat and idled at about 800 rpm.It is alittle fat as my eyes where burnnig after awhile lol...
Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I am getting ready to put my Webers on my new aluminum sideloiler. I love'em! I am going to try a set of 45mm chokes and see how it runs. I think I gave my F16 to Rick Parker but the F7's might work for the 462 cubes in this new mill. I would be interested to hear what you guys think the base line jetting should be then I'll tell you what I have set up.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     

Oh yes, now I'm happy.

After looking at all interesting threads on Webere tuning and finding clues here and there and finally have ended up with a really good idle/ low end running and ditto on the top. Now the plugs are chocolate brown and not sooty. Runnng on all 8 and exploding when flooring the pedal. (Now functional jetting will be posted after AF-meter run. Not 100% certain on top- end fuel ratio yet.)

(Yes; I have thought of injection and might do that on the race- engine, keeping the webers for the street, fun & trackday car.)

Running 10.5 comp, 352(?),Vic Jr's, 48 IDF's and Comp 308 deg. solid roller cam.
Car weighing in at 1060 kg including all fluids AND driver. 1060 kg= 2336pounds

RS
Old 07-03-2010, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford 289
Not Ranked     

I'm running dual DCOEs on a 333/289 stroker. Very happy with them. Previous carb was a custom ProSys Holly 680 that was super too! I'm an old SU guy, so the Webers were a natural. My idle AFR is about 14.1-5, As it revs it gets a little fatter @ 13.5, or so. Still getting used to the off idle stumble, but above 1500, she screams.
Attached Images

Last edited by PoppyMod; 07-03-2010 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: typo repair
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sorry "just" a 68 Shelby GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to 68gt500
Not Ranked     
Default Yes, more than happy

those carbs are awesome - the learning curve is steep, the parts expensive but the result is well worth the pain.

Took the car on a 2000 km trip to Le mans classic last week - ran beautifully and without any issues.

Milegage was within 2 mpg of the acompaining 66 289 2 BBL Mustang.

What more could you want..

Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gt500 View Post
those carbs are awesome - the learning curve is steep, the parts expensive but the result is well worth the pain.

Took the car on a 2000 km trip to Le mans classic last week - ran beautifully and without any issues.

Milegage was within 2 mpg of the acompaining 66 289 2 BBL Mustang.

What more could you want..

Hi,

The trip to Le Mans must have been incredible. I've only gotten close while winding our way to Monte Carlo.
I'm like my Webers too. I'm still tweaking the AFR, but, feel I'm very close. I'm going to dyno for a full graph of the details.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

My only complaint is the lack of a legitimate air filtration system. The Booties, OEM sponge elements, and individual snap on screens only prevent stones & bugs from getting inhaled. I'd liked to make an air box that would house a rectangular 2-3 inch tall element that had openings with grommets that would seal onto all 8 stacks and could be pulled off for adjustment or access. The stacks would need to be shortened along with the auxillry venturi. It COULD be done and look good too. Hmmmmm

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Wink

I'm real happy with mine cause they're on
somebody else's engine now.
I had them for a looong time. Webers are great as long as the density altitude doesn't change or as long as you don't go up or down in altitude.
I don't care what you do it will always have some popping and sputtering. It depends a lot too on the engine they are on. Some engines hate webers no matter what you do to them.
I will stick to the most simplest of systems.. modern EFI. Not for everyone but it makes me happy.

Hersh
Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

Thinking of putting on webers onto my SV Daytona replica 347 vs. another set of TWM FI. Spoke to Jim Inglese and seems like a great guy. Kit is suppose to come pretuned, and bolt on; not cheap compared to other vendors.
http://www.inglese.com/
Just had a problem with my Accel Gen 7 system / TWM FI (2nd time!), re-did the electric fuel pump system twice(!) and wish I had gone Webers on my cobra!

Was the swap from 4bbl to webers easy?
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 08-15-2010, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 FE Center Oiler w/ 48 IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to zimmy
Not Ranked     

This is not the link to Jim Inglese. He can be found at:

http://www.jiminglese.com/
Old 08-16-2010, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_SN888KE View Post
Thinking of putting on webers onto my SV Daytona replica 347 vs. another set of TWM FI. Spoke to Jim Inglese and seems like a great guy. Kit is suppose to come pretuned, and bolt on; not cheap compared to other vendors.
http://www.inglese.com/
Just had a problem with my Accel Gen 7 system / TWM FI (2nd time!), re-did the electric fuel pump system twice(!) and wish I had gone Webers on my cobra!

Was the swap from 4bbl to webers easy?
You may not be asking this question of my conversion, but, I will add, in my case, as the linkage is on the firewall side of the conversion , I had to fabricate a linkage ca bracket. Due to the differences in the small swivel ends, I used a LOKAR "blower" cable that worked perfectly with their accelerator pedal assembly.
I love the setup, and the performance super. The additional cost of coloring and chrome AN fittings will take it's toll, but, I found it worth it in the end.
Attached Images