Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

here is where I am now.

60 idle jets
90 idle holder

forget about the main stacks I removed them for now.

my idle circuit runs to 4000 rpm.........wtf?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

An "indy car" motor attached to a C4? And we're wondering why it tries to die right off idle? Even if it is not an "indy car" motor, which seems way out there in the realm of possibility anyway, if you attach a high revving, big cam, straight down draft small block with big heads to an auto without a really high stall converter, that's what you get. The motor is loaded right off idle and it isn't gonna make any torque until 4k RPM. Ya'll can mess around with jets and air bleeds for months and that fact won't change. Not to mention that having an auto behind a motor like that verges on being sacrilegious!

BTW, it sounds more like a sedan or sports car motor to me what with GW heads and a wet sump. Might try calling Cushman Comp and asking them about it.
Cushman Competition
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

my issues are at a throttle position. under no load at all in park... at certain rpms it hates it. i agree with you this motor prob has no torque under 4000 rpm but the car weight 2000 lbs with me in it and im not trying to accelerate fast, im easing into it very lightly and it stumbles.

i understand that i create no vacuum which i believe to be keeping the idles working all the way to 4000 rpm... but now i dont know what the hell i should do.

37mm chokes from 42mm?

p.s. You're welcome to come drive this car one handed while trying to shift...
p.p.s. I will MOST DEFINITELY not be in the car or near you while you attempt to drive a model T one handed haha
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You are experiencing a late main system startup, at 4000 rpm even under load it should be on the main circuit.

The whole "main system" must be "too big" for the engine.

At what rpm does the engine make peak torque and horsepower at? Be honest now.

I think you have the wrong emulsion tube.

As another member has mentioned, a 3 speed auto with a close to stock convertor and an engine as "wild" as this will always be a nightmare to tune.

Sounds like if you want to stay auto, you need a 4000+ rpm convertor and/or another gear in the box.

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 10-19-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i dont know any specs on my motor.

what emulsion tube are you thinking?

the car runs good with the main stacks out up to 4000 rpm. I get a stumble around 32-3500 rpm which i believe to be the introduction to the mains.

i had 170 mains and i put in 150's but have yet to test it out. i will try today.

also i have a stumble when i hit the gas at 3500 and below rpm range so i am going to pull the exhaust valve out so i can see if that helps that stumble and go from there.( i have 50's in now)

explain what you mean by main system too big...this motor revs 7000+
Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi there,

You have 42mm chokes, and F16 emulsion tube.

A book I have states for Chev V8 of 4949cc with Quad 48 DCOEs (a sidedraught IDA equivalent) to have the following: 40 choke, 165 main, 160 air, F2 emulsion tube, 50 pump jet, closed pump bleed, 55F8 idle jet.

My choice is an F2 tube, I ran an F2 in a 308 V8 but I have since sold the car.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 09-06-2017, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Howdy friends, last night some scumbags decided to steal my trailer which had my t bucket with this motor on it. Not everyday you get to steal gurney eagle heads and 4 Italian carbs. Any idea how I can get he word out just in case you guys stumble across the heads and carbs? Any help is appreciated
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, sorry to hear that.

Scumbags alright, hope they get what's coming to them.

I saw your new post, and initially thought you had some further progress in your tune.

Hopefully we can all keep our eyes open for anything on the net.

Gary
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23TGW View Post
Howdy friends, last night some scumbags decided to steal my trailer which had my t bucket with this motor on it. Not everyday you get to steal gurney eagle heads and 4 Italian carbs. Any idea how I can get he word out just in case you guys stumble across the heads and carbs? Any help is appreciated
That stuff is rare enough that it should stick out like a sore thumb as soon as somebody offers it for sale. Spread the word as far and as fast as possible and hope somebody notices it when the scumbag tries to sell it.

Something to consider is setting up a couple of Google Alerts ( https://www.google.ca/alerts ) - essentially a search that will periodically run without you invoking it each time. If you had one for "Gurney heads for sale" and another for "Weber carbs for sale" you will get alerted if the alert finds a 'hit'. You can set options for frequency, sources, language, region, and how many results you want to look at.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-07-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23TGW View Post
Have you made a post on the H.A.M.B. forums?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/