Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Weber Tuning (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/weber-tuning/)
-   -   48 IDA Weber Coolant Bypass (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/weber-tuning/96552-48-ida-weber-coolant-bypass.html)

Rick Parker 04-26-2009 08:23 PM

48 IDA Weber Coolant Bypass

I've been trying to come up with a usefull solutuion for the cold running 289/302 with the 48 IDA's using the dual outlet intake manifold. I have tried several different attempted remidies (as many of you have) but to no avail. It will warm up in the driveway but as soon as it has air passing through the radiator the temps drop to indicated to 150-155 unless its 100 degrees outside. I think these modifications will solve the problem. I just have the Fuel log/coolant manifold and lower radiator hose with the parts mocked up but will get them welded later this week (after bead blasting the color off the red fitting). Today while handling the parts, I realized the thermostat could be discretely attached to the outlet neck with some stainless safety wire. This will allow the fitting to be welded quite close to the thermostat and circulate the heated coolant close to it. The dakened areas at the hose attaching points are stains from the coolant.
[IMG]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/P1010358.jpg[/IMG]

This is what it looks like installed

[IMG]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...sinstalled.jpg[/IMG]

Rick Parker 05-06-2009 07:39 PM

I wish I had done this last year! Today was the first chance I had to start and run the engine for any length of time. I was very pleased to see the engine warm up in about 7 minutes while idleing, all the hoses got toasty warm, as the thermostat was begining to open the upper hose got warm and there were no big temprature swings as before when the thermostat with small holes was in the upper hose. So far all indications are that this system will work VERY well.

Jac Mac 05-07-2009 02:22 AM

Good to see some 'splinters' are pointing in the right direction Rick.:)

Rick Parker 05-07-2009 09:25 PM

Thanks........I'm glad to be the Guina Pig, perhaps others will follow suit? Well worth the effort.

Snakebit 05-08-2009 09:31 AM

Rick, Nice job! I'll be ripping mine apart shortly. Thanks for sharing all your hard work.

Rick Parker 05-09-2009 06:18 PM

Thanks Snakebit

If you have the cast crossover, you may need to open up the end a little to allow the thermostat to fit.

Snakebit 05-22-2009 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just finished doing some creative plumbing to my dual outlet Weber manifold. I was able to route the bypass to the water pump inlet. I will add coolant tomorrow and give her a spin. I'll find out if she will run at 180 instead of 150.

lineslinger 05-22-2009 07:13 PM

Really trick stuff Rick.

Snakebit 05-22-2009 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bottom view of dual water outlet.

Rick Parker 05-22-2009 10:09 PM

To function correctly it must have a thermostat at the outlet of manifold, near where the coolant is diverted from (thank you JacMac), if it is out further in the upper hose it will not work as effectively. Use stainless wire to keep it in place, good job on your part. I had no clearance for that type of routing. In my application the cross over tube sits right on top of the plugged outlet from the water pump. The water pump I have is the very early type , aluminum w/o a backing plate.

Snakebit 05-24-2009 11:06 AM

Took the Cobra out for a spin. Temp here in South Jersey was around 80. It warmed up to 180 as usual, but the proof would be running down the open road with the air blowing through that big radiator. IT WORKS! With the by pass hose installed the temp stays between 180 to 190 without the fan switched on. Stop at a light and it stays right at 180. Rick, you hit a home run on this one. Thanks!

Rick Parker 05-24-2009 11:13 AM

Just try'n to help Brotha:D

It's great when it works as planned & designed.

Ranana_Undurf 06-16-2009 01:24 PM

48 IDA Weber Coolant Bypass

Just wondering if anyone knows of any point in fitting samco coolant hoses what difference could they possibly make except look pretty for the ladies?

Rick Parker 06-16-2009 06:12 PM

Leave the Bling to the Ricers. Use good quality hoses,and your wallet will not be as empty.

*13* 09-10-2009 06:51 PM

I'm finally catching up with my emails, Rick. Been a busy last few weeks. Great work! Maybe you should sell these units. Looks great!

mickmate 01-23-2012 05:19 PM

Do you guys know the diameter and center distance on the coolant tubes? I have access to a couple of IDF set ups but not the IDA with twin tubes.

*13* 01-23-2012 05:49 PM

I can measure tomorrow. The tubes should be 1-1/4" dia., I believe. The center to center, I think, was around 5". I'll check tomorrow.

mickmate 01-23-2012 05:53 PM

That would be awesome thanks. Mapquest says you're 3 hrs from me. We'll have to get together over the loooong winter.

LightNFast 01-23-2012 06:57 PM

*13* 01-24-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightNFast (Post 1172405)
It’s a rough casting but here you go for what it’s worth:

Blue Thunder “Cobra” 289 IDA.

Micrometer reads:
Dia. = 1.27 without bead
Inside distance (between tubes) = 3.89
On center = 5.16

So this coincides with *13* … 1-1/4" dia. and 5".

Good luck.

For once, my memory serves me pretty well...