Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Western States Cobra Group (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/western-states-cobra-group/)
-   -   Western States Cobra Bash 2008 - Main Thread (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/western-states-cobra-group/84421-western-states-cobra-bash-2008-main-thread.html)

decooney 01-14-2008 08:54 PM

Western States Cobra Bash 2008 - Main Thread

FULL - Registration for WSCB 2008 is full. Thanks to everyone for registering early this year. Sure is a big help. Things are coming together nicely. Should be a blast! Registration was totally full in the first two weeks. 80% are returning attendees.

The Western States Cobra Bash is a gathering of people with a common love for these cars and driving them. 200+ Cars: Cobras, Daytona Coupes, and GT40 owners from the western United States, replicas, and some originals show every year. WSCB started in 2005 and has grown since. Includes regional club members from ClubCobra.com, FFCobra.Com, GT40s.com all looking to meet and enjoy the the gathering of people and cars in a common place. Specialty vendors offering very specialized products and services were invited to bring out their latest goods to show them off for everyone to see. This has developed into a group that meets once a year to have a lot of fun. It's not an event, it's not a competition, it's about people and the cars just hanging out and having some fun over three days. Most everyone brings a significant other or friend to ride along.

Thursday is open arrivals. Friday is Track Day. Saturday is the 100-mile Drive. We get together on Friday and Saturday nights and do an afternoon FREE/PUBLIC car show on Saturday afternoon in Victorian Square to show off the cars. This is the best time for the public to come and see it. The Corral is secured entry/exit for cars by ID Badge only. The public can come up and check out the vendors in the Corral for FREE when the cars are there typically in the afternoons each day. See "Schedule & Info" for more information. We'll see YOU there! WSCB & Crew. Please Note: only WSCB registered attendees cars will be allowed in/out of the Corral with required ID Badge and proper vehicle license and tagged identification only.

Starring:
  • 289 & 427 Cobras
  • Daytona Coupes
  • GT40s
  • Originals & Replicas
  • Specialty Vendors

May 15-18, 2008
Sparks, Nevada
John Ascuagas Nugget

Thursday Afternoon: 3pm Open arrivals & evening overview for Track Day
Friday Daytime: WSCB Track Day & Instruction at Raceway
Friday Evening Attendee private party/70s Rock Band in Corral
Saturday Daytime 100/130 mile drive on Saturday morning
Saturday Afternoon Attendee Car Show/Victorian Square; spectators
Saturday Evening Attendee private party/music Poolside Terrace
Sunday Morning Open breakfast in Rosies, 12:00 Noon departures

Specialty VENDORS / Full:
  • Kirkham Motorsports
  • Superformance/Shelby Distribution
  • GT40 Australia
  • Factory Five Racing
  • FE Specialties
  • StreetRodPainter / Ken's Customs
  • Specialty Apparel vendor

Feel free to reply to this thread as a shout out if you are an attendee. I am just reposting this as an FYI since ClubCobra was restored. THANK YOU. Get Ready, it's going to be another blast. :D See the WSCB website February 1st for more news and updates at www.WesternStatesCobraBash.com

decooney 01-14-2008 08:56 PM

Bring your Cameras in 2008

Oh, Hey, don't forget to bring your photo and movie cameras this year. Some very nice cars and really cool people will be there once again.

lamaluv 01-15-2008 05:09 AM

Speaking of photos, wasn't there going to be a cd available of last years Bash?

Dick

decooney 01-15-2008 08:04 PM

Dick, we added a Gallery to the website, and adding photos there next month. Images are on Photobucket, and you can download from there. Since this is another topic, email me and I'll forward you to Dan. Inquire at wscb@comcast.net

ByronRACE 04-02-2008 08:58 AM

Tech/Safety

Where do I find the details regarding tech/safety?

Specifically, I don't see a listing of acceptable helmets/types. Are M rated helmets allowed, or SA only? Open or full face? I saw where it stated 2000+, but nothing else; perhaps I missed it.

Tires. Is there a tread depth requirement?

Sound. Is there a dB limit?

Other details. I have a check list for tech, but I don't see a lot of detail about any specific requirement. Should I assume there are none if it's not mentioned? For example, it says "Roll Bar" but it doesn't specify any specific requirements pertaining to what the bar is constructed of, where and how it's mounted, who it protects, and so on.

Are riders allowed at all during the track event? Must they be protected by a roll bar?

I'm sure all this information exists somewhere; but I haven't found it yet.

Someone help me out please.

Byron

jmarsey 04-02-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ByronRACE (Post 830730)
Where do I find the details regarding tech/safety?

Specifically, I don't see a listing of acceptable helmets/types. Are M rated helmets allowed, or SA only? Open or full face? I saw where it stated 2000+, but nothing else; perhaps I missed it.

Tires. Is there a tread depth requirement?

Sound. Is there a dB limit?

Other details. I have a check list for tech, but I don't see a lot of detail about any specific requirement. Should I assume there are none if it's not mentioned? For example, it says "Roll Bar" but it doesn't specify any specific requirements pertaining to what the bar is constructed of, where and how it's mounted, who it protects, and so on.

Are riders allowed at all during the track event? Must they be protected by a roll bar?

I'm sure all this information exists somewhere; but I haven't found it yet.

Someone help me out please.

Byron

Byron,

In this case, I would prefer you email your questions regarding Track Day directly to me and not on this forum. Since you have posted here, I will try to be as clear as possible with answers as not to add confusion or concern for all other attendees:

I replied to your email yesterday regarding helmets. Did you not receive it? Did you not receive the Track Day Announcement #1? Under “Safety”, third line says: “Helmet (Snell SA95 or newer).” Is there a question? All other tech items and safety issues are listed in that document. Is there something, specifically, you are concerned about? Is your head worth a few hundred bucks more than the “M” (motorcycle) rated helmet?

FYI. What are the 2 key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets and why SA standard helmets are typically required in auto sports?
1. SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
2. SA standard has roll bar impact test while M standard does not.

Q. Tires
A. Tech Form “Wheels & Tires” first line says: “tire condition.” Are you confused as to how to determine if your tires are in good condition or not? Would you like to run track tires, street tires, or bald tires? I’m not clear what your question is. Most states require a minimum tread depth of 3/32” - DOT approved, for legal street applications, if that helps.

Q. Sound
A. Unless otherwise mentioned, there is no sound limit at this particular track event.

Q. “Other details”
Q. “but I don't see a lot of detail about any specific requirement”
A. Then please be more specific regarding the Tech Sheet list of specific "basic" requirements I've asked you to check on your car.

Q. “Should I assume there are none (specific requirements) if it's not mentioned”
A. Ditto previous answer, and I would also suggest you re-read your Announcement, specifically, where it says:

"Prior to bringing your car to Thursday’s WSCB Track Day Tech Inspection, please inspect each listed
item on your car, and otherwise, as noted on this Tech form. Consult your mechanic if you have any
questions or concerns. It is your responsibility to physically check every item on the Tech Inspection
Form, as well as those not mentioned.
The checklist is for your safety and the safety of the other drivers
on the track with you. Please take your car inspection seriously. After inspecting your car, you must
sign the bottom of the form, which indicates that you have, in good faith, checked every item on this
form."

Q. “For example, it says "Roll Bar" but it doesn't specify any specific requirements pertaining to what the bar is constructed of, where and how it's mounted, who it protects, and so on.”
A. I’m not sure how to interpret this. A typical “roll bar” is found directly behind the driver’s seat, 3” above driver’s head (when seated in the car), braced in some fashion, secured to the chassis, made of steel and of adequate wall thickness, and should obviously protect the driver. Not sure what “and so on” means. In the Announcement, I am recommending that You, the attendee, do your homework on not only the roll bar, but all (7) items listed in addition to every item on the Tech Form. If you need clarification or help here, as I said, just send me an email and I will be happy to help.

If this is not clear to you, let me know so I can help you. This is no different than most any other track event tech sheet.

Q. Passengers
A1. Unless you are an instructor, you may not have a passenger.
A2. If we do “parade laps” (under 40mph-manditory at all times) during the event, you may have a passenger.
A3. If your car has dual or a full-width roll bar(s), restraints, and you have the approval of myself AND a lead instructor, you may have a passenger.

You are in Group-2 (1 to 5 - Other track events). What does your experience at these other track events tell you regarding the safety and technical aspects of your car and you as a driver on the track?

I will be sending future Track Day Announcements pertaining to track configuration, video and event particulars. I realize that there can be a level of enthusiastic anxiety while anticipating a track event. The bottom line here, is that we have a very talented team of instructors, group leaders, and tech officials. Our number-1 goal is to keep you safe and make sure you have a fun and enjoyable day!

I hope this is helpful to you and please, email me directly in the future. I would like to avoid this kind of rhetoric in the future.

Talk soon, John

Dinobyte 04-02-2008 04:51 PM

Wow, kinda hard on him don't you think? If he has questions, I bet others do as well. %/

RedCSX1 04-02-2008 11:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Here is the deal. We want everyone to be safe. This means a certain amount of responsibility on your part to inspect your cobra, GT-40 or Daytona closely before it rolls off your trailer or pulls into the hotel parking lot in Reno. I do not want to be the one to break the bad news to anyone that the vehicle will not pass a tech inspection. If there is any hint of a problem, please get it taken care of ASAP. Everyone should perform a detailed inspection making sure everything is tight and there are no leaks. Your brake fluid and clutch fluid should both be fresh. Your brake pads should be either new or with plenty of braking material still left.

Tires as John mentioned should have 3/32 of tread minimum unless shaved or slicks. Minimum tire rating should be H. Wheels should have no cracks or damage. Check the screw in pins on Cobra pin drive wheels.

I suggest pulling together a bag for your gloves, jacket, helmet, glasses. Think cotton and no synthetic material. I recommend a Jacket that is flame-retardant Proban or Nomex. They are reasonably priced and add an extra bit of protection. Your fire extinguisher needs to be securely mounted with a metal bracket. The extinguisher also needs to be easy to reach in the event of an incident. The battery post needs to be taped. The windshield needs to be free of cracks.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Director of Tech,
Morgan LeBlanc

Example of Jacket:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294752064

Driving Gloves:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294881950

Fire Systems:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5+115&x=45&y=7

ByronRACE 04-03-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmarsey (Post 830841)
Byron,

In this case, I would prefer you email your questions regarding Track Day directly to me and not on this forum. Since you have posted here, I will try to be as clear as possible with answers as not to add confusion or concern for all other attendees:

That was my first approach, and after 2 attempts at that I decided that a post here might be more successful since I see you're active on the forums.

Quote:

I replied to your email yesterday regarding helmets. Did you not receive it? Did you not receive the Track Day Announcement #1? .... Is there something, specifically, you are concerned about? Is your head worth a few hundred bucks more than the “M” (motorcycle) rated helmet?

No email received. Did you spell the email address Byron@ or Bryon@ Common error.

Yes, I got the track day announcement that says SA95 or newer. An M2000 helmet is newer than an SA95, that's why I asked. Perhaps that should read "SA rated helmets only , 95 or newer" as that would leave nothing to the imagination and is clearly your intent.

Yes, the concern is that I'm shopping for helmets and wish to purchase the correct one. I've participated in multiple events where M rated helmets were acceptable, and own several. If there's an opportunity for passengers, for low-speed trophy laps, or whatever...perhaps an M rated helmet would be acceptable for short-term limited environment use and I could avoid running out and buying a helmet I'll never use again. In any event, it's not a big deal, I just asked for the answer to a requirement that wasn't clear to me.

Quote:

FYI. What are the 2 key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets and why SA standard helmets are typically required in auto sports?
1. SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
2. SA standard has roll bar impact test while M standard does not.

Q. Tires
A. Tech Form “Wheels & Tires” first line says: “tire condition.” Are you confused as to how to determine if your tires are in good condition or not? Would you like to run track tires, street tires, or bald tires? I’m not clear what your question is. Most states require a minimum tread depth of 3/32” - DOT approved, for legal street applications, if that helps.

Absolutely; condition is subject to interpretation. In some forms of racing, they specifically shave the tires down to the minimum possible tread depth...in other forms, they require DOT legal tires with a minimum tread depth. OK, so the tires must be DOT approved street legal even for the track; that helps. I have several sets of non-dot rubber as well as shaved DOT rubber for this car, now I know I can't use them. Thanks. I'll leave the shaved R1's at home.

Quote:

Q. Sound
A. Unless otherwise mentioned, there is no sound limit at this particular track event.

Good, because if there were, I have work to do. I likely wouldn't pass. Thanks.

Quote:

Q. “Other details”
Q. “but I don't see a lot of detail about any specific requirement”
A. Then please be more specific regarding the Tech Sheet list of specific "basic" requirements I've asked you to check on your car.

Q. “Should I assume there are none (specific requirements) if it's not mentioned”
A. Ditto previous answer, and I would also suggest you re-read your Announcement, specifically, where it says...

Fair enough, but without specifics on what is being checked that leaves a lot to the imagination; and not every requirement on every race event makes sense...so forgive me for asking the question. I'll do what I feel makes sense, and that should suffice. I am my mechanic; there is noone to ask. I am very serious about making sure the car is track ready; that's why I'm asking now...so I have enough time to address anything that might otherwise be left as a surprise.

Quote:

Q. “For example, it says "Roll Bar" but it doesn't specify any specific requirements pertaining to what the bar is constructed of, where and how it's mounted, who it protects, and so on.”
A. I’m not sure how to interpret this. A typical “roll bar” is found directly behind the driver’s seat, 3” above driver’s head ..... If you need clarification or help here, as I said, just send me an email and I will be happy to help.

No problem, I'm not trying to open up pandora's box and create a lot of work for you, but an item like a roll-bar is a good example because it is the only hope of living through a roll-over in a Cobra. 3" above the the drivers head often doesn't happen in a Cobra unless you build a special bar, is that a requirement?

My roll bar is 3" diameter heavy tube and covers both driver and passenger. It slips into receiver holes in the frame and is somewhat height adjustable. Since it protects the passenger, I wondered if that opened any doors for passengers. If the environment is right, and the car behaves, it would be fun to take my brother for a ride around the track; it happens to be his birthday.

I will go through all the items on the tech sheet. No need to reiterate; I get it. However, my interpretation of what is correct/valid/acceptable and yours may differ...so I'll ask the questions if I think there is room for worry as long as you don't mind. If my post here has somehow aggravated you, sorry about that...I thought that's what this forum was for.

Quote:

If this is not clear to you, let me know so I can help you. This is no different than most any other track event tech sheet.

Sorry, but I disagree. Some events have far more clarity in the safety rules. NHRA, Bonneville, Silver State, Pony Express, etc...leave less to the imagination. Perhaps for good reason; the stakes are higher. Again, not an issue...just asking the question. The worst thing to me is to have a month to prepare, do nothing, and arrive with a car that doesn't pass tech for some small non-obvious requirement I couldn't have predicted. I'm more than capable and willing to address the requirements as long as I know what they are.

Quote:

Q. Passengers
A1. Unless you are an instructor, you may not have a passenger.
A2. If we do “parade laps” (under 40mph-manditory at all times) during the event, you may have a passenger.
A3. If your car has dual or a full-width roll bar(s), restraints, and you have the approval of myself AND a lead instructor, you may have a passenger.

You are in Group-2 (1 to 5 - Other track events). What does your experience at these other track events tell you regarding the safety and technical aspects of your car and you as a driver on the track?

I've raced at Laguna, Buttonwillow, Sears Point, Infineon, P.I.R, and at open-road events and most drag strips in CA and Oregon. Shelby Club, Green Flag, and others. I was the bay areas EFI Dyno-tuner from about 1987 to about 2003 before I gave it up to get more serious about my day job (medical device, embedded systems engineer). My reason for mentioning that is that over the years, I was in a fortunate position to have seat time in many hundreds of high performance cars ranging from 300hp Mustangs to 800+hp Vipers; so this isn't exactly new stuff...but I consider myself rusty since I've been off the track for so long.

I've been busy building this car part time since 2001 (I started with a Body and Frame from Charlie Bruno's estate (formerly Charlies Mustangs); this is his old West Coast car)...and had to fabricate the rest. I haven't been to the track in my own car for quite a while; only street time. I sold my road-race prepped 93 Cobra back in 2000 or 2001. My intention with this event is to do nothing except roll the car around the track, get a feel for it, and have a good time...which means getting through tech without a surprise. I specifically asked to be placed in a novice run group because the build is brand new (<1000 miles), has no track time, and I have very little seat time at speed in the car. I intend to ease my way into it; the car makes more power than anything I've ever owned or driven and I see no reason to push it during the honeymoon period. I'm in no hurry; this is not a race, and I have no attitude...just looking to have some fun with the group and bring something a bit different to the mix.

Quote:

I will be sending future Track Day Announcements pertaining to track configuration, video and event particulars. I realize that there can be a level of enthusiastic anxiety while anticipating a track event. The bottom line here, is that we have a very talented team of instructors, group leaders, and tech officials. Our number-1 goal is to keep you safe and make sure you have a fun and enjoyable day!

I hope this is helpful to you and please, email me directly in the future. I would like to avoid this kind of rhetoric in the future.

Talk soon, John

I don't follow what you mean by the last sentence and assume that although your tone comes across as confrontational at times, I'll assume you don't intend to be because a moment ago you recommended and encouraged the asking of questions.

I'm not here to stir up trouble. I simply didn't get a response via email and couldn't see the harm in posting. If I created an issue or pushed your buttons somehow, sorry about that; not my intention. I'll PM you in the future through this forum for any additional clarification I may need. Hopefully that will work better than email. No need to reply to this post.

Byron

RedCSX1 04-03-2008 08:36 PM

OK Now that is all clear, one more thing.

Tire do not have to be DOT approved. An example of this is the Good Year Bill Board tires which many people run incuding myself. I can field any questions Tech related questions you have moving forward. Remember the only questions that you dont ask are the dumb ones.:rolleyes::MECOOL:

jmarsey 04-03-2008 11:23 PM

Byron,

First let me say that I fully appreciate your enthusiasm and attention to detail. That makes two of us. Also, I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot here and taking a tone that, as you say, came across as confrontational.

My reaction to your first post was agreeably strong but not without merit. It was based on the fact that I thought we were, had been, communicating but maybe my emails ended up as spam. I do have your correct email address and sorry you got the impression I was not available or receptive to your questions. Not at all the case. So when I read your post, incorrectly quoting the announcement material and broadcasting that “all this information should be somewhere, I just haven’t found it yet” I didn’t appreciate that for our Track Day Team and Attendees. Yes, it pushed my buttons and came across a bit accusatory, but you did catch me on a bad-hair day, so apologies and comments accepted and would like to move on as well. :>

I actually enjoyed reading about your track experience and car history. I understand how you would feel more comfortable driving this particular car in group 2. If the car comes in for you during the morning session, you will probably have the opportunity to step it up a bit in the afternoon, when the track thins out. When I finished my JBL, after 5 yrs, the first place I took it was to the track, and for the same reasons you mentioned. More controlled and much safer environment to test and feel a new car. Smart choice.

Tires: I would not leave your shaved Toyo’s at home. By all means, much better than street tires as you know. Maybe I was being a smartass, but I never said “so the tires must be DOT approved street legal even for the track”. If I bring my spec racer, rest assured, it comes with track tires. There will be some other folks running stickys as well. (as it should be)

Roll Bar: Glad you have a full width piece that protects both driver & passenger. Absolutely, a ride for your brother on his Bday. Just come and find me, after lunch will be best.

The cobra roll bar is typically a false sense of security on most of these cars. They are generally too thin in wall thickness and too low. I have seen some with the rear brace attached to the fiberglass body, and others with 1/4” bolts used at chassis attachment. Ideally, the minimum height of a roll bar should be at least 3” above driver’s helmet. More distance would be better to allow for restraint stretch and movement. We are not requiring this rule because 90% of the cobras would fail as would the original street versions. But this is a novice event and, for goodness sakes, no one should be going over on their head. It’s just good for folks to asses and be familiar with their particular roll bar and its limitations. However, I don’t want to see any “cosmetic” roll bars at tech inspection.

Morgan LeBlanc is my Tech Director. Both he and I would be happy to answer, and absolutely encourage, any questions or concerns regarding tech. If you have any questions regarding Track Day before I send out the next Announcement, let me know and I’ll do my best to get right back to you.

Thanks for your explanation and let me know if I overlooked anything.
Talk soon, John ;)

ps, Thanks Morg.

ByronRACE 04-04-2008 08:27 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, and having a good time at the event.

jmarsey 04-04-2008 10:43 AM

Byron,

Looking forward to meeting you too and yes, should be fun!

Talk soon, John

jmarsey 04-07-2008 08:15 AM

Good Helmet Thread developing: http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...threadid=81504

Dinobyte 04-08-2008 01:14 PM

Are open faced helmets allowed?

Jamo 04-08-2008 01:37 PM

Hope so. If not...I want my money back from these idiots! :p

The rules don't state closed-face helmets are required, and the rules drafter (morgan) said they were ok and besides, I look magnificent in my open face with period goggles. *

*Besdies...my freeking beard is a problem in closed-face helmets.

Dinobyte 04-08-2008 01:39 PM

Where is that pic of the hairy beast sitting next to you in the cobra? That was a classic!

jmarsey 04-08-2008 01:42 PM

Yes, open face is ok as long as you have a windshield and the helmet rating corresponds to the information on your tech sheet.

Thanks, John

thudmaster 04-08-2008 02:07 PM

That hairy beast was Jamo. The one without all the hair was Jamo photoshopped.................:LOL::LOL:

ByronRACE 04-08-2008 03:37 PM

Open Face

I'd hope that along with the open face helmet, you have shoulder harnesses.

My tech sheet says "Seat Belts/harness". My best judgment says you should have shoulder harnesses so your face can't impact the wheel, but whether or not this is an actual requirement is not clear to me by reading the tech sheet (I'm an idiot, by the way). I have shoulder harnesses, but if you don't...I'd ask that question.

Byron