Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2004, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - Blue W/ Silver Stripe
Not Ranked     
Default Road America - Vintage Races

I would like to take a quick survey to see if there is any interest in making a trip to Road America a club event.

The Vintage Races are held July 14-18 this year. There are lots of cars in lots of classes. The spectators are given free access to the pit/paddock area so you can get an up close look at an orginal.

The plan would be to drive up Friday afternoon and return Sunday afternoon. Road America is located in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin which is about 150 miles north of Chicago.

Frankly, it is probably a little late to be planning the event as the best Motels are probably already taken. If, however, there is any interest I will start making phone calls and see what is available.

The Road America web cite can be viewed, as follows:

www.roadamerica.com

Rich Musson
Old 04-23-2004, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I go every year.
Hotels are booked years in advance.
There is ALWAYS a thunderstorm on Saturday...
Usually a short major cloud burst...then hot and humid...
Actually a very nice ride...
Old 04-23-2004, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4047 power by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Just a note, they're having vintage cars at gingerman raceway May 1-2. I went last year and it was a nice event. A comfortable drive from chicago.

Roland
Old 06-23-2004, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - Blue W/ Silver Stripe
Not Ranked     

Okay,
I am bring this back to the top along with a revised plan.
My wife has decided to enter an art show the same weekend (go figure) - so, I am no longer going up for the three days.
The new plan is to leave Saturday morning (JULY 17th) and return the same day. The track is located about 150 miles North of Chicago - near Sheboygan . It's probably a 2 1/2 hour drive depending.
If anyone is interested in driving up send me an e-mail and we will make plans on where to met.

Rich Musson
e-mail = Richmusson@aol.com

The link to the race info is:
www.roadamerica.com
Old 06-23-2004, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 1694, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I am interested, have never been there.

Bill
Old 06-23-2004, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF/white/blue/smallblock427/webers
Not Ranked     

My wife and I will be going. We have gone each year for the last three years. Lots of fun ! What seams to have worked out best for us is to show up to Road America/ Elkhart Lake around 4-5:00pm on Friday. Get downtown in time for the parade of race cars. After the cars come through they all park and it becomes a car show. There is food and beverages available. View the race cars, walk eat/drink and talk. Stroll over to the auction tents and view all the cool cars to be auctioned off on Saturday evening.
Getup Saturday and head to the track. We usually meet a few friends and circle our vehicles in the grass along side the track near a shady tree or two. This is home for the day. From here we venture out (bring your bicycles) to the padocks or anywhere in and around the track. When we need a break we head on back to our cars where we have coolers of food, beer etc., blankets and chairs. Just sit back and watch the cars pass on by !
I know some of the SPF owners are going out for a cruise through the senic backroads around the area.
If anyone is interested maybe we can meet and picnic alongside the track. We will be between turns 3 and 4 on the North side of the track. Let me know.
Tom.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Ford Racing 351W
Not Ranked     

I go there every year since 1988. Back then, there were numbers of 250 GTOs (real) as well as Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyders (real and converted) - they were in bogue. In fact there was this 1970 Daytona Spyder prototype with Wisconsin license plate that came every year (yellow with black waist stripe as apperared in Geneve show in the same year). That particular car was sold to an individual in California for $1.5 million.

We entered my SPF and my friend's Saleen to Touring on Sat and Sun - yes, it slowed down a lot these days. I still remember when I took my Lotus Esprit, I was completely schooled by McLaren F1 on back stretch. I was metal to floor and he passed me like I was standing still. Another friend of mine may bring his 365 GT/BB Berlinetta Boxer but not confirmed.

I always stay at Sheboygan Holiday Inn - nice 30-min. drive to the track.

Maybe I will see some of you then.

Seiji
Old 07-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Hey Rich,

I'll tag along for this I'd really like to check it out.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Rich,
Most likely a 4 some with my group.
But I might suggest a bit of a later start.
8:30 will give you more than enough time to walk you legs off at the track, especially if it's hot out.