View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #699, Keith Craft 427 SB w/ 600+ Flywheel HP, Mass-Flo EFI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
We've been toying with a number of products over the years to hone in on some that we are happy with from a price and performance standpoint. The bulb and LED options on the wider market have left us underwhelmed.

The Backdraft bulb receptacles are somewhat unique and as many people have discovered the LED bulb replacement products often do not clear the body of the housing well or in order to fit they must use fewer LEDs and the final result is often worse than a standard bulb.

These array clusters work very well in the BDR light housings and offer a significant increase in brightness of stop lights and turn signals. Each array features 24 LEDs. Install can be done simply and requires time to let the RTV dry. You do not have to make any modifications to the wiring.

We are selling full kits for $129.95 + shipping that includes:

- 4 Red LED Clusters (1156 style and 1157 style)
- 2 Amber LED Clusters (1157 style)
- Install Instructions

First kits and orders will ship next week. Email me to order or ask any questions. I will post some more photos soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
I wanted to provide an update and acknowledge the product that Gunner recommended above. I just received 2 new direct replacements from SuperBrightLEDs for the 1157 bulbs. One was rated at 3W and the other at 4W (and more expensive). The LEDs I tried are the following:

The bulb in the foreground is the 4w. Both of these style LEDs did in fact fit in and clear the Backdraft housing. We have to go by our on own visual verification but the 3W style that is cheaper actually appeared brighter in the Backdraft Lens than the 4W style (in daylight and in dark) on both the stop and headlights on function.

Honestly we were impressed with the intensity of these LEDs over the standard bulbs. An easy swap and did enhance the overall brightness considerably. They do however seem to focus the light in a more narrow way since you are using 1 big LED or 3 big LEDs. Still think the clusters do a better job overall of increasing the overall brightness and doing it over a greater area that is less focused.

When I can get all 3 in a photo together for a comparison I will.

Sorry Gunner for discounting your suggestion without fully verifying. I had a couple older products from SBLEDs on the shelf that do not fit the Backdraft bulb housing.
Jay, did you ever get any pictures?

Also, do your clusters, or the single replacement bulbs, work with the existing flasher? If not, are you including whatever is necessary with your kit?

Thanks!