Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
October 2022
S M T W T F S
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Cashburn's Avatar
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Haven, CT
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Posts: 5,092
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft LED Conversion Kits

We've been toying with a number of products over the years to hone in on some that we are happy with from a price and performance standpoint. The bulb and LED options on the wider market have left us underwhelmed.

The Backdraft bulb receptacles are somewhat unique and as many people have discovered the LED bulb replacement products often do not clear the body of the housing well or in order to fit they must use fewer LEDs and the final result is often worse than a standard bulb.


These array clusters work very well in the BDR light housings and offer a significant increase in brightness of stop lights and turn signals. Each array features 24 LEDs. Install can be done simply and requires time to let the RTV dry. You do not have to make any modifications to the wiring.

We are selling full kits for $129.95 + shipping that includes:

- 4 Red LED Clusters (1156 style and 1157 style)
- 2 Amber LED Clusters (1157 style)
- Install Instructions

First kits and orders will ship next week. Email me to order or ask any questions. I will post some more photos soon.
__________________
IT'S NOT REAL. IT'S UNREAL.
VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
888.427.1965 | www.vintagemotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Sledge's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 60+K miles and counting
Posts: 331
Not Ranked     
Default

Good going Jay!
__________________
Bill


"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Gunner's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Posts: 1,115
Not Ranked     
Default

Um... There are LED replacements for the bulbs that work VERY well and at a fraction of that cost. You can get regular brightness, high brightness and (for some applications) ultra high brightness... and all you have to do is swap the incandescent bulb for the LED-based one. Sorry to be a spoilsport...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Addendum: These guys offer a very wide selection of bulb replacements that will do a superior job in a variety of fixtures, whether used front-on, sideways, or whatever. Most of these are NOT available from traditional suppliers like auto stores, JCW, etc. and if you choose the part carefully for the application, it will greatly outperform generic parts-rack stuff.
__________________

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =

Last edited by Gunner; 01-14-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Got the Bug's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Posts: 4,097
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Um... There are LED replacements for the bulbs that work VERY well and at a fraction of that cost. You can get regular brightness, high brightness and (for some applications) ultra high brightness... and all you have to do is swap the incandescent bulb for the LED-based one. Sorry to be a spoilsport, but some market research might have been in order before you greenlighted this project...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Based on Jay's post, it sounds like some of the aftermarket LED lights won't fit in the Backdraft's standard light housing.

I know that the SuperBrightLed lights are slightly larger than a standard 1156/1157 bulb, and some early SPFs require a slight mod to the housing to make them fit.
__________________
Doug

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Gunner's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Posts: 1,115
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Based on Jay's post, it sounds like some of the aftermarket LED lights won't fit in the Backdraft's standard light housing.
I think they may have evaluated a subset of the LED bulbs available. Every AutoZone has a few - the same few. SBLEDs has a dozen different configurations that fit everything from truck markers to motorcycles.

I've used these in a number of conversion projects, including a blazing 3-lamp setup for my '68 Mustang's taillights. I'd messed around with a flat-panel design to go behind Cobra rectangular tail lamps, but I've found that there are two good LED solutions (the tower and the right-angle) - I need to get samples and evaluate which is best. These also draw less power than a standard bulb and don't have the problems of high-intensity bulb replacements (namely, lots of heat right near the lenses or in an enclosed bulb carrier.

Maybe Jay's solution is the only one for BDRs. But I'd bet not, knowing how many configurations LED replacers are available in. And at a price difference of around $100...
__________________

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 PM
6t8stang's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Philly Suburbs, PA
Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Posts: 238
Not Ranked     
Default

I tried the LED bulb replacement with one I had laying around from the motorcycle. Definitely better than the stock incadecent, but no where near as bright as a similar solution I did as Jay is offering. 6 clusters for $130 is a good deal - I think I paid $25 apiece for mine!
__________________
Eric
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Cashburn's Avatar
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Haven, CT
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Posts: 5,092
Not Ranked     
Default

There is a distinct reason I placed this in a Backdraft subforum and not the general Cobra section. And I thank Doug for reading my entire post before questioning it.

I have a couple from superbrightgunnerleds.com at the shop that will not fit in the BDR housings and are not as bright when side by side if anyone with an ERA wants them cheap. To get comparable light you will need the 3 LED version and due to the stepout of the housing they do not clear:

__________________
IT'S NOT REAL. IT'S UNREAL.
VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
888.427.1965 | www.vintagemotorsports.com

Last edited by Cashburn; 01-15-2010 at 05:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Got the Bug's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Posts: 4,097
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
There is a distinct reason I placed this in a Backdraft subforum and not the general Cobra section. And I thank Doug for reading my entire post before questioning it.

I have a couple from superbrightgunnerleds.com at the shop that will not fit in the BDR housings and are not as bright when side by side if anyone with an ERA wants them cheap. To get comparable light you will need the 3 LED version and due to the stepout of the housing they do not clear:

Jay,

How many watts are the bulbs that you're using? I went with the 3 watt SuperBrightLed lights. It was a big improvement over the stock bulbs, but nothing to write home about.
__________________
Doug

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Bailey's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jupiter, fl
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Posts: 402
Not Ranked     
Default

Jay, I installed a set of the clusters in my first Backdraft, and have switched them over from car to car. I am now on the third car, having crashed #2 (with the lights installed). The clusters are still going strong, one of the best mods I had made. Zero regrets.
__________________
Life is short, live like you mean it!!
Live every day like it's your last. One day you will be right!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Cashburn's Avatar
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Haven, CT
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Posts: 5,092
Not Ranked     
Default

They are rated at 2 watts each, but I suppose the important thing is Lumens?
__________________
IT'S NOT REAL. IT'S UNREAL.
VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
888.427.1965 | www.vintagemotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Doug I's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, La.
Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Posts: 1,259
Not Ranked     
Default

not forgetting the Stefan-Boltzmann constant

Yeah 'lumens' is the big number

just like HP - the moreer the betterer

That's a nice little unit Jay
__________________
Pull a gear .... drop the hammer .... and enjoy the Drive !!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
6t8stang's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Philly Suburbs, PA
Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Posts: 238
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
That's a nice little unit Jay
Um...Doug...we're going to have to ask you to leave...no man should ever say that to another man....
__________________
Eric
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Doug I's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, La.
Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Posts: 1,259
Not Ranked     
Default

there's a saying ...... ohhh what is it ..... wait wait I'll think of it ......

ohhhh yeah I know what it is now ......BITE ME





__________________
Pull a gear .... drop the hammer .... and enjoy the Drive !!

Last edited by Doug I; 01-15-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Cashburn's Avatar
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Haven, CT
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Posts: 5,092
Not Ranked     
Default

Yeah, jeez...
__________________
IT'S NOT REAL. IT'S UNREAL.
VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
888.427.1965 | www.vintagemotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Got the Bug's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Posts: 4,097
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
there's a saying ...... ohhh what is it ..... wait wait I'll think of it ......

ohhhh yeah I know what it is now ......BITE ME







__________________
Doug

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Doug I's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, La.
Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Posts: 1,259
Not Ranked     
Default

LOL

It's almost like an echo .....
__________________
Pull a gear .... drop the hammer .... and enjoy the Drive !!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Cashburn's Avatar
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Haven, CT
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Posts: 5,092
Not Ranked     
Default

I wanted to provide an update and acknowledge the product that Gunner recommended above. I just received 2 new direct replacements from SuperBrightLEDs for the 1157 bulbs. One was rated at 3W and the other at 4W (and more expensive). The LEDs I tried are the following:



The bulb in the foreground is the 4w. Both of these style LEDs did in fact fit in and clear the Backdraft housing. We have to go by our on own visual verification but the 3W style that is cheaper actually appeared brighter in the Backdraft Lens than the 4W style (in daylight and in dark) on both the stop and headlights on function.

Honestly we were impressed with the intensity of these LEDs over the standard bulbs. An easy swap and did enhance the overall brightness considerably. They do however seem to focus the light in a more narrow way since you are using 1 big LED or 3 big LEDs. Still think the clusters do a better job overall of increasing the overall brightness and doing it over a greater area that is less focused.

When I can get all 3 in a photo together for a comparison I will.

Sorry Gunner for discounting your suggestion without fully verifying. I had a couple older products from SBLEDs on the shelf that do not fit the Backdraft bulb housing.
__________________
IT'S NOT REAL. IT'S UNREAL.
VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
888.427.1965 | www.vintagemotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Got the Bug's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Posts: 4,097
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
I wanted to provide an update and acknowledge the product that Gunner recommended above. I just received 2 new direct replacements from SuperBrightLEDs for the 1157 bulbs. One was rated at 3W and the other at 4W (and more expensive). The LEDs I tried are the following:



The bulb in the foreground is the 4w. Both of these style LEDs did in fact fit in and clear the Backdraft housing. We have to go by our on own visual verification but the 3W style that is cheaper actually appeared brighter in the Backdraft Lens than the 4W style (in daylight and in dark) on both the stop and headlights on function.

Honestly we were impressed with the intensity of these LEDs over the standard bulbs. An easy swap and did enhance the overall brightness considerably. They do however seem to focus the light in a more narrow way since you are using 1 big LED or 3 big LEDs. Still think the clusters do a better job overall of increasing the overall brightness and doing it over a greater area that is less focused.

When I can get all 3 in a photo together for a comparison I will.

Sorry Gunner for discounting your suggestion without fully verifying. I had a couple older products from SBLEDs on the shelf that do not fit the Backdraft bulb housing.
Damn you Jay!!

You have validated that Gunner in fact, knows all...a fact that I feared was true, but had not yet been 100% confirmed.
__________________
Doug

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 01-20-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #699, Keith Craft 427 SB w/ 600+ Flywheel HP, Mass-Flo EFI
Posts: 18
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
We've been toying with a number of products over the years to hone in on some that we are happy with from a price and performance standpoint. The bulb and LED options on the wider market have left us underwhelmed.

The Backdraft bulb receptacles are somewhat unique and as many people have discovered the LED bulb replacement products often do not clear the body of the housing well or in order to fit they must use fewer LEDs and the final result is often worse than a standard bulb.


These array clusters work very well in the BDR light housings and offer a significant increase in brightness of stop lights and turn signals. Each array features 24 LEDs. Install can be done simply and requires time to let the RTV dry. You do not have to make any modifications to the wiring.

We are selling full kits for $129.95 + shipping that includes:

- 4 Red LED Clusters (1156 style and 1157 style)
- 2 Amber LED Clusters (1157 style)
- Install Instructions

First kits and orders will ship next week. Email me to order or ask any questions. I will post some more photos soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
I wanted to provide an update and acknowledge the product that Gunner recommended above. I just received 2 new direct replacements from SuperBrightLEDs for the 1157 bulbs. One was rated at 3W and the other at 4W (and more expensive). The LEDs I tried are the following:



The bulb in the foreground is the 4w. Both of these style LEDs did in fact fit in and clear the Backdraft housing. We have to go by our on own visual verification but the 3W style that is cheaper actually appeared brighter in the Backdraft Lens than the 4W style (in daylight and in dark) on both the stop and headlights on function.

Honestly we were impressed with the intensity of these LEDs over the standard bulbs. An easy swap and did enhance the overall brightness considerably. They do however seem to focus the light in a more narrow way since you are using 1 big LED or 3 big LEDs. Still think the clusters do a better job overall of increasing the overall brightness and doing it over a greater area that is less focused.

When I can get all 3 in a photo together for a comparison I will.

Sorry Gunner for discounting your suggestion without fully verifying. I had a couple older products from SBLEDs on the shelf that do not fit the Backdraft bulb housing.
Jay, did you ever get any pictures?

Also, do your clusters, or the single replacement bulbs, work with the existing flasher? If not, are you including whatever is necessary with your kit?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Cashburn's Avatar
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Haven, CT
Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Posts: 5,092
Not Ranked     
Default

I wish I had the time to get those photos. It has been very busy and I have not had the time to get a side by side yet. I will when 2 cars with the different setups are next to each other.

I can tell you for certain the existing flashers on the BDR have no issues with the LEDs.
__________________
IT'S NOT REAL. IT'S UNREAL.
VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS
888.427.1965 | www.vintagemotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
backdraft, bdr, led

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy
Links monetized by VigLink