View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

ok sorry I am coming into this late. I would just like to recap to make sure I understand this correctly ( there was alot of chatter here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kirkham View Post
Well with all the problems with phasing distributors, I thought I would take some pictures on how to make a tool and phase your rotor in your distributor. You will need an old distributor cap and a timing light.

The first step is to modify the distributor cap. The V shaped notch on the top is to check and make sure that the top of the rotor is contacting the terminal inside the cap.

I cut two large windows so I could better see what is going on.

Next I marked the rotor with a Sharpie.

Putting everything back together

In this picture I hooked up the timing light to the post I wanted to illuminate. This picture was taken with the engine running and with the timing light hooked up. Note that the mark is lined up with the post. This is what you want.

Hope this helps.

Now from my understanding you are suppose to check this at idle and normal cruise RPM, along with what ever rpm is set for your full advance.

And the line should be straight with the terminal at all three position of testing?

Now with the motion of advancement, I am guessing you will see the line move but still should be pretty close on the terminal line up. Is this correct?

Is the phasing that far off from MSD that you have to make these adjustments.

If so, I would favor Ejaro modification rather than the MSD adjustable rotor. By adjusting the Adjustable rotor, you will have to perform this excersie everytime you replace your rotor, with Eljaro you can use the fixed rotor without checking.

Am I missing something?