View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
Undy Dave the only thing I would do is to have only distilled water and water wetter in the coolant system. This will not destroy the bearings like coolant. That milk shake in the motor is DEATH.
Is it possible you can get a coolant dye to add to the coolant. Run the motor and drain the motor, You need to drain the motor through the bottom of the block and raditor. This should leave you with just dye stains where the coolant is leaking. If you can get the ports or area clean and dry enough, My thought would be to try Tig welding it first, if this doesnot work, GREY RTV sealer, coolant and cover the ports where it is leaking. The other would be to use a plastic paint that expands and retracts.
GM still sells the tablets for aluminum motors we used for all the older Caddies in the 80's and they do work. The area you are working on is a low pressure area. If you can get 30psi to hold in a hot or cold temp you have it beat. I would only use 100 psi on heads and blocks after being sonic checked.
I think it sucks that you spend alot of money on parts, have port work done, have the parts installed on the motor and after 10 to 15 heat cycles that damn problems start with questionable parts. Has anyone had problems with EDELbrock heads leaking with some head work, Joe? George? Keith? Barry? Brent? See what I mean. Rick L.
Rick Lake (possessor of internal combustion wisdom), dye's going to do squat for me as the leak's internal (water jacket to oil) and the area that's leaking isn''t accessable till the manifold's removed. Unless, you're talking about hitting it with a UV light once the manifold's off?? Please clarify.

The "milk shake" has come and gone.. 1 time, no harm, no foul. The actual oil still seemed bright and clear w/o "apparent" contamination. It only manifested itself in the valve cover that my PCV is in. That's a good thing. The internal engine's crankcase ventilation air currents are all being pulled into that valve cover by the PVC, along with any water vapors or soluble contaminants. The "cooked off" vapors are "condensing" in the comparitively cooler valve cover. I like that!! It gives me a "water contamination alarm" which enables me to chase the problem before it gets worse.

Sad to say, I've met up with more crap parts and jack-legged work since I've become intimately familiar with the venerable and vulnerable FE then I've ever come in contact with on "other' engines I do understand the why fors and the why nots though... Dam, I almost sound like someone else that's down on FEs.. I still luv'em though..