View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

F$%^&@ing Dove intakes sometimes drive me nuts. I think a copy of their catalog might leak. But they are the only ones making numerous parts, and I have to applaud the fact that they never gave up on the FE like so many others did.

We ported Dave's and got it to fit perfectly. He installed it and it leaked like a garden sprinkler. He shipped it back and we made a little pressure tester rig so I could take it to the welder and watch before and after each repair to see if he "got it". Ended up finding a decent sized porosity bunch way down in the front pushrod tube, which John welded up and we machined/redrilled afterward. Tested OK and sent it back to Dave.

He reinstalled it and thought things were "OK" for a while - then he saw the froth in a valve cover and has been justifiably concerned. I suggested the tablets. Glyptal will not work - I have tried that and it literally comes apart in sheets when exposed to hot water. The bowling ball stuff is what they use to redrill the finger holes, and has been recommended by at least one local Pro Stock builder.

I told Dave that 100 pounds would probably end up with an explosion and an obit. Only twice the operating pressure is still more than needed. I'm thinking that wherever it is its tight when cold and opens up when hot. Only way it could be holding pressure when checked and still leaking in operation.

The guy doing the welding is kinda good - definitely not a welder issue. A link to some of his work...
http://www.marcellamanifolds.net/images/Images.html

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP