Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlotz View Post
Ok

I have a 65 sideoiler, MR heads, solid lifter cam, Iron MR heads that have all been rebuilt (heads have bronze guides etc). I am running the pentroof valve covers (no vents) and I have the oil vapor canister on the firewall with 20w50 Brad Penn oil, and avaid 9qt pan.

Now here is the problem, I think I have too much condensation building up. I also pulled the #1 plug yesterday and had some oil iin the threads which leads me to believe there is too much pressure buildup in the crankcase forcing oil and oil vapors past the rings and valve guides into the combustion chamber. I also get the occasional smoke burn out of the pipes as if il is pooling in the heads.

When using the oil vapor canister system, are you supposed to remove the wire mesh backet/collector in the intake to allow better flow into the oil vapor canister thus relieaving some pressure in the system?

Any thoughts?
Can you post some pics of your venting system?

Unlikely to building excessive crankcase pressure, but if it is you have excessive blowby.
(ring end gaps, unseated rings, rings upside down or not fitted)

A little early to panic, but I'd be talking to the engine builder.

Quote:
Fred

Yes it's an FE, a 1965 sideoiler and I am using Erson rockers in the MR heads.

Can't get in there to check the pressure at the line but the clear hose I am using (from the block plate on the intake to the oil vapor canister) is discolored telling me I have something going through there. I also see vapor coming out of the upper driver side line (the line coming out the top of vapor canister and going back to the trans/differential).

I also see some vapor and oil traveling out the canister and going back to the oil pan as designed, but not a lot. I see more water condensation in this line, but then again I am not on the road yet to allow the road draft tube assist with this either.

You see water condensation going back to the sump? I'd be very concerned about that.

What is conserning me the most is the smoke I am getting sometimes when I start up (even after I just ran it minutes ago) and the oil I found around the spark plug threads when I checked the plugs.

I idle at right around 80lbs, shift around 100 and peg it when I really get into it.
Clear hose will discolour on any engine, use an oil resistant hose.

What colour is this vapour?

idle at 80lbs, shift at 100 - what does this mean?

Quote:
It is a fresh build, just got back from dyno and only have about 11 miles worth of slow road testing here and there. I could be just a little paranoid and need time for her to 'settle in'
If it is been on a dyno already, it's run in.

11 miles of slow road testing is nothing compared to the load it would have seen on a dyno.

Gold Certified Holden Technician