Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default crank case venting problem w/ oiil vapor canister?

Ok

I have a 65 sideoiler, MR heads, solid lifter cam, Iron MR heads that have all been rebuilt (heads have bronze guides etc). I am running the pentroof valve covers (no vents) and I have the oil vapor canister on the firewall with 20w50 Brad Penn oil, and avaid 9qt pan.

Now here is the problem, I think I have too much condensation building up. I also pulled the #1 plug yesterday and had some oil iin the threads which leads me to believe there is too much pressure buildup in the crankcase forcing oil and oil vapors past the rings and valve guides into the combustion chamber. I also get the occasional smoke burn out of the pipes as if il is pooling in the heads.

When using the oil vapor canister system, are you supposed to remove the wire mesh backet/collector in the intake to allow better flow into the oil vapor canister thus relieaving some pressure in the system?

Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

IMO....no, when you remove the hose\line going to the canister is there blow by coming out, can you feel positive pressure at the line? is there really excess blowby or are you getting too much oil up top? what rockers, what engine, how are you oiling the rockers?

fred

ps, i'm assuming an FE engine
Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default RE: more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
IMO....no, when you remove the hose\line going to the canister is there blow by coming out, can you feel positive pressure at the line? is there really excess blowby or are you getting too much oil up top? what rockers, what engine, how are you oiling the rockers?

fred

ps, i'm assuming an FE engine
Fred

Yes it's an FE, a 1965 sideoiler and I am using Erson rockers in the MR heads.

Can't get in there to check the pressure at the line but the clear hose I am using (from the block plate on the intake to the oil vapor canister) is discolored telling me I have something going through there. I also see vapor coming out of the upper driver side line (the line coming out the top of vapor canister and going back to the trans/differential).

I also see some vapor and oil traveling out the canister and going back to the oil pan as designed, but not a lot. I see more water condensation in this line, but then again I am not on the road yet to allow the road draft tube assist with this either.

What is conserning me the most is the smoke I am getting sometimes when I start up (even after I just ran it minutes ago) and the oil I found around the spark plug threads when I checked the plugs.

I idle at right around 80lbs, shift around 100 and peg it when I really get into it.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i have seen guys restricting the oiling to the rockers on the ersons. using plugs in the orfice in the head, bleed holes range between .06 to .09 depending on who you talk to, do you have them restricted?
i take it this is a newer engine, are the rings even seated yet? without being there it could be a combo of things, intake leaking sucking oil, getting the plugs wet. what valve seals are on it? you could do a compression test for peace of mind and to rule out the worst.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
i have seen guys restricting the oiling to the rockers on the ersons. using plugs in the orfice in the head, bleed holes range between .06 to .09 depending on who you talk to, do you have them restricted?
i take it this is a newer engine, are the rings even seated yet? without being there it could be a combo of things, intake leaking sucking oil, getting the plugs wet. what valve seals are on it? you could do a compression test for peace of mind and to rule out the worst.
It is a fresh build, just got back from dyno and only have about 11 miles worth of slow road testing here and there. I could be just a little paranoid and need time for her to 'settle in'
Old 06-20-2010, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

nothing wrong with paranoid, the oily plug is what would worry me the most, the canister hose would be a " watch for a while" intakes are notorious for leaking, took me a couple of times to get it right, you could be drawing a little oil in the intake runner from the bottom making the plug oily. i had to remove my intake and open up the pushrod holes to get enough clearance for the 3/8 pushrods, what intake gaskets are on it?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

in fact i'm in that mode right now....

www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/medium/galley.JPG
Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlotz View Post
Ok

I have a 65 sideoiler, MR heads, solid lifter cam, Iron MR heads that have all been rebuilt (heads have bronze guides etc). I am running the pentroof valve covers (no vents) and I have the oil vapor canister on the firewall with 20w50 Brad Penn oil, and avaid 9qt pan.

Now here is the problem, I think I have too much condensation building up. I also pulled the #1 plug yesterday and had some oil iin the threads which leads me to believe there is too much pressure buildup in the crankcase forcing oil and oil vapors past the rings and valve guides into the combustion chamber. I also get the occasional smoke burn out of the pipes as if il is pooling in the heads.

When using the oil vapor canister system, are you supposed to remove the wire mesh backet/collector in the intake to allow better flow into the oil vapor canister thus relieaving some pressure in the system?

Any thoughts?
Can you post some pics of your venting system?

Unlikely to building excessive crankcase pressure, but if it is you have excessive blowby.
(ring end gaps, unseated rings, rings upside down or not fitted)

A little early to panic, but I'd be talking to the engine builder.

Quote:
Fred

Yes it's an FE, a 1965 sideoiler and I am using Erson rockers in the MR heads.

Can't get in there to check the pressure at the line but the clear hose I am using (from the block plate on the intake to the oil vapor canister) is discolored telling me I have something going through there. I also see vapor coming out of the upper driver side line (the line coming out the top of vapor canister and going back to the trans/differential).

I also see some vapor and oil traveling out the canister and going back to the oil pan as designed, but not a lot. I see more water condensation in this line, but then again I am not on the road yet to allow the road draft tube assist with this either.

You see water condensation going back to the sump? I'd be very concerned about that.

What is conserning me the most is the smoke I am getting sometimes when I start up (even after I just ran it minutes ago) and the oil I found around the spark plug threads when I checked the plugs.

I idle at right around 80lbs, shift around 100 and peg it when I really get into it.
Clear hose will discolour on any engine, use an oil resistant hose.

What colour is this vapour?

idle at 80lbs, shift at 100 - what does this mean?

Quote:
It is a fresh build, just got back from dyno and only have about 11 miles worth of slow road testing here and there. I could be just a little paranoid and need time for her to 'settle in'
If it is been on a dyno already, it's run in.

11 miles of slow road testing is nothing compared to the load it would have seen on a dyno.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You need a PCV valve on the motor

Dlotz D use should have a PCV valve on the motor. Some people like them at the back of there manifold where the breather is from the old days. I run mine in the r/s valve cover and have a vent in the L/S I also run high pressures and "G" turns. No smoke or oil being sucked up into the valve. I flood the heads for oil as well. My valve covers are the tall ones. The valve stem seals should be total seals. If you take off a cover and look betwwen the valve springs you should see a small wire going around the top of the seal. If not you may be running just unbrella seals that may cause you this problem. Is the oil on the spark plug threads inside or out side where it is placed? Are the plugs black and wet? Blue smoke is the sure way to know you have an oil burner or problem motor. You should have a port in the manifold or base of the carb. Get a piece of 3/8" rubber hose and run it from a port or carb to the valve cover. You might need to get a groment kit to put this on. Replaced the plugs and go for a good road test. Check motor after it has cooled off. This should relieve any pressure inthe motor for normal driving. Rick L.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP478
Not Ranked     

I have the same setup except I have breathers on each valve cover. My clear hoses are discolored and I do see some vapors occasionally. I also had the same issue with oil being pushed up through the threads on the spark plug and the smoke burn which ended up being a torn intake gasket that needed replacing.

Jason
Old 06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Something to keep in mind is the original 427 intakes also had a push on breather up front..
Old 06-21-2010, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kirkham View Post
Something to keep in mind is the original 427 intakes also had a push on breather up front..
Tom

My oil filler cap is a push on breather, and after running it tonight I could see some vapor coming out from the bottom.

I don't have any breahers in the pentroof valve covers.