View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 347 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Looking to buy

Need some advice:

I am a former mid year Vette guy, tired of babysitting old cars .Want to buy an AC. I have looked over hundreds of ads but thinking that I should not buy a project or garage built. I am not a mechanic-type. Just want to drive & enjoy.

Also seems like you never know what you are going to get when you buy pre-owned. Everything is too far away to check out. Can't see how Iwould ever do the research.

Thinking I should buy a completed production car from a name brand company. I have done some research. I like the response from Lonestar & they will build what I want: basic car with 351 stroked to 427 (550 HP), for about $45,000.

Questions:

> Can someone give me relatively unbiased comments re: pro & con on the different complete car manufacturers: quality, reliability, resale, etc.?

> How much horsepower can you build into a stroked 351 (427)& still have a very streetable & uncomplicated car (single 4 barrlel, premium unleaded gas, etc. nothing too exotic)?

> Are these cars generally reliable or do they need lots of tinkering, etc.?

> Do they come emissions ready for your state.

Again, thinking of buying a complete car & want a fairly hassle-free process & a car that will hold its value better. I would also consider an extremely low miles private sale but most posters seem to want nearly the price of a new one.

The newbie could use some help here.

Thanks,
Lewis