View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     
Default pics of my slow progress

It seems that building these cars are 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

I thought i had finished my steering column and pedals, but then when i bought my motor i found the pedals were in the wrong spot. Whilst moving the pedals, i had to move the steering column, i then some how got onto moving and replacing the cross bar. Any way finally finished it this weekend and now a lot happier with the result. I bought a TIG since last time so its a lot stronger and neater. The pedals are reverse swing with remote reservoir so the master cylinders wont be visible in the engine bay.

I am happy with the feel of the current position of the steering wheel, but i am worried that the angle is too flat. Does the angle of the wheel look funny in these photos? I think i will wait to look at some cars on Sat before making any modifications.

I have also got my fuel tank completed and mounted now. The tank still needs polishing, but i am pretty happy with the result. Capacity is about 91lt

And finally, i have finished trimming one of my seats. I am really happy with the outcome. I bought some RX7 seats that were worn out for about $50 off ebay. I had to replace the foam and reshape, but it wasnt too hard. I then bought some new covers off ebay for $370 and covered them myself. The covers took a life time to arrive but they look awesome. I also bought all the material to do the rest of the interior for $180. Its not real leather but looks the same, is really soft and subtle to touch and is much more stable in the sun. All up the seats have cost me about $450 including trimming. I am going to do the interior myself so only need to by some ply wood, foam and glue and i will have a cheap interior that hopefully looks ok. I still have to double check how to measure the seats, but measuring from the bottom to top of head rest is 5mm over the ADR requirement.

The guy i got the covers from basically does them for nearly every type of factory seat. If you have seats from a standard car and want to retrim them cheap its worth while. Be patient thought, mine took 16weeks before i finally got them. I was pi$#ed until they arrived and i saw how good they look.

I am meeting with the engineer this week so hopefully can move on now to doing things that actually make the car look different