Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     
Default pics of my slow progress

It seems that building these cars are 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

I thought i had finished my steering column and pedals, but then when i bought my motor i found the pedals were in the wrong spot. Whilst moving the pedals, i had to move the steering column, i then some how got onto moving and replacing the cross bar. Any way finally finished it this weekend and now a lot happier with the result. I bought a TIG since last time so its a lot stronger and neater. The pedals are reverse swing with remote reservoir so the master cylinders wont be visible in the engine bay.

I am happy with the feel of the current position of the steering wheel, but i am worried that the angle is too flat. Does the angle of the wheel look funny in these photos? I think i will wait to look at some cars on Sat before making any modifications.

I have also got my fuel tank completed and mounted now. The tank still needs polishing, but i am pretty happy with the result. Capacity is about 91lt

And finally, i have finished trimming one of my seats. I am really happy with the outcome. I bought some RX7 seats that were worn out for about $50 off ebay. I had to replace the foam and reshape, but it wasnt too hard. I then bought some new covers off ebay for $370 and covered them myself. The covers took a life time to arrive but they look awesome. I also bought all the material to do the rest of the interior for $180. Its not real leather but looks the same, is really soft and subtle to touch and is much more stable in the sun. All up the seats have cost me about $450 including trimming. I am going to do the interior myself so only need to by some ply wood, foam and glue and i will have a cheap interior that hopefully looks ok. I still have to double check how to measure the seats, but measuring from the bottom to top of head rest is 5mm over the ADR requirement.

The guy i got the covers from basically does them for nearly every type of factory seat. If you have seats from a standard car and want to retrim them cheap its worth while. Be patient thought, mine took 16weeks before i finally got them. I was pi$#ed until they arrived and i saw how good they look.

I am meeting with the engineer this week so hopefully can move on now to doing things that actually make the car look different
Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Great to see you're making progress.

I like build posts - especially with pictures.

Keep up the good work (and keep us posted)

LoBelly
Old 09-28-2010, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Steering wheel position looks fine to me.

Looks like your doing some top quality work there keep going.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Cameron and thanks for the feedback on the wheel position. Im starting to think it may be just the big 15.5" ugly holden wheel thats putting me off.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     
Default 91 Litres!

I was wondering about the 91 litre fuel tank, then I saw you've got an LS3, it may just get you to the shops and back
I just had a look on Ebay and there are 2754 listings for seat covers, would you happen to have a link or some way of narrowing down the search for me, as I intend doing a similar thing, Thanks, Peter.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEATHER-SEATS...item3cab9ced47

Ignore the 2.5-3 weeks production time in the ad. Mine took 10 weeks and then turned up with the wrong foam, then took another 6 weeks to sort it out. I got nothing but lies the whole time about when they had been posted even given a tracking number that didnt work only to find when i checked it a week later it was for another order. Finally they arrived though and the results were worth the wait. Being in Victoria, it would be a lot easier because you can go to see him if you are near by. He gets them made in China so i think thats what causes the delay.

If you are going to the Nats i can throw the cover for the other seat in the car with me and you can have a look at the quality. I will be there on Saturday if its not pouring with rain.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     

Thanks for that, and the warning, maybe it's a good thing building a Cobra is a long term project in some instances. Peter.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

I am also at the stage of re-designing my pedal box now the steering is loosely in there, I have to fit the clutch master somewhere and the reverse action pedals may come into play.
My steering wheel angle looks pretty similar to yours, I reckon a slightly smaller wheel will make things look more in proportion though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: