View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Mustang Question

Guys,

I know this is a Mustang question but I was hoping someone on here might be able to help (I also have some feelers out with some old contacts from my days at Ford).

I found this in a field at lunch today (the boss was out of town and David K has been slow with the posting.....so we had some time to kill). It is 67 Mustang Coupe (it is not a fastback), was originally green, and has a 429 in it. The shock towers have been cut back, like on the GT500 big block cars, because the engine is freaking huge. The emission label on the valve cover says 1972 429 so it has to be a service replacement engine, or someone installed this after the fact.

As far as I can tell the VIN is 7R01C160605, which decodes to a CA built Coupe in 1967, 289 2v engine. The 429 looks to have factory cast iron headers and the shock tower modification doesn’t look to be a hack job, it looks real clean, almost factory. The car appears to be originally green, automatic, and does not have the base tail lamps (has the GT350 style lamps).

Is it a real Shelby or another clone???? Could this be a December of 1967 built California Special car?? I know the plate on the fender can be bought as a reproduction, but this one looks like it was there for the past 30 years.

If it was a fastback I would have bought it on the spot, especially for $3500 he was asking.

Any thoughts if this might be a real Shelby, California Special, Shelby Prototype, or some junk clone with a 429 truck engine in it?

Exterior of the car:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Exterior 2

Front End:

Wheel/Tire:

Engine

VIN: