24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-14-2010, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Mustang Question

Guys,

I know this is a Mustang question but I was hoping someone on here might be able to help (I also have some feelers out with some old contacts from my days at Ford).

I found this in a field at lunch today (the boss was out of town and David K has been slow with the posting.....so we had some time to kill). It is 67 Mustang Coupe (it is not a fastback), was originally green, and has a 429 in it. The shock towers have been cut back, like on the GT500 big block cars, because the engine is freaking huge. The emission label on the valve cover says 1972 429 so it has to be a service replacement engine, or someone installed this after the fact.

As far as I can tell the VIN is 7R01C160605, which decodes to a CA built Coupe in 1967, 289 2v engine. The 429 looks to have factory cast iron headers and the shock tower modification doesn’t look to be a hack job, it looks real clean, almost factory. The car appears to be originally green, automatic, and does not have the base tail lamps (has the GT350 style lamps).

Is it a real Shelby or another clone???? Could this be a December of 1967 built California Special car?? I know the plate on the fender can be bought as a reproduction, but this one looks like it was there for the past 30 years.

If it was a fastback I would have bought it on the spot, especially for $3500 he was asking.

Any thoughts if this might be a real Shelby, California Special, Shelby Prototype, or some junk clone with a 429 truck engine in it?

Exterior of the car:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Exterior 2

Front End:

Wheel/Tire:

Engine

VIN:

VIN 2:

Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

If the body is not rusted too badly and the car has a clean title I would buy it for $3500. If nothing else looks like an interesting project! Let's see if some of the Mustang experts around here can help identify the car.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

bumb bumb bumb sorry mean bump lol
sdr
Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 AC Aces, 1 w/289, 1 w/TBD
Not Ranked     

I do not profess to be an expert on the Shelby Mustangs (especially the later ones), but this looks like a backyard modification done by somebody. I believe there were only 2 coupes made with a big block, Lil Red and Green Hornet (aka EXP500), with Lil Red being a '67 while EXP500 was a '68. There were the '67 Transam cars, but all of them were K codes not C codes. On a final note, the '67 Shelbys were not done in Michigan. That did not start until '68 and the tag shown was not put on until '68. It could still be a cool project though.

Jay
Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Not a real Shelby (sorry, no C code cars, ever), not only that, but the shelby tag is actually that of a 1969/1970 Shelby door tag. Third, never held on with screws........Sorry, not a California Special either, most likely a nice hot rod build from the late 70's or early 80's..........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-14-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Also, none of the 67/68 Shelbys had a 429. It's just probably someone's old hot rod project.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

This is not a Carroll Shelby Mustang. If it were the tag would have a Shelby number on it. Maybe this is Bill Shelby or Frank Shelby? Shelby American was in Southern California and Las Vegas but never Michigan.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Shelby American was in Southern California and Las Vegas but never Michigan.
After 1967, production was moved to Michigan and the company, Shelby Automotive, was based there until production ceased in the 69/70 series.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Quote:
or some junk clone with a 429 truck engine in it?
CA Specials had scoops on the rear brakes (fake or not)

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
This is not a Carroll Shelby Mustang. If it were the tag would have a Shelby number on it. Maybe this is Bill Shelby or Frank Shelby? Shelby American was in Southern California and Las Vegas but never Michigan.
Door tags on a 69 GT350 Shelby, notice the plate above the door data tag. Yes, this is correct for 69/70 Shelbys.........

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-15-2010, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Door tags on a 69 GT350 Shelby, notice the plate above the door data tag. Yes, this is correct for 69/70 Shelbys.........

Wow, I stand corrected. It doesn't feel like Carroll Shelby was too involved in these. Is this the period after Shelby stopped doing the mods in his own factories and Ford was completely responsible for them? All of the GT350's and GT500's I've seen have a Shelby tag on the wheel well with some of the fender metal removed to make room for the tag, and the are all riveted, never screwed in place.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: