View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Lobelly,

Why no different classes splitting R Spec from Race Slicks?

Was there any discussions with the Nationals guys to work towards similar classes for both events?

Cheers,

Ben
Hello Ben,

ShelbyFest is primarily a track day for street cars and is not really a 'race meet', although it's great to see real race cars there (maybe even the mock-ups like mine ).

For this reason we decided to find a line that would serve as the limit for a 'street' tyre. Once we decided on that line then everything beyond it becomes non-street (or racey).

I did not feel that it was further necessary to catagorise into various race(y) classes.

Looking at the 2010 nationals for an example of how this might play out...

My car has a modified 347 and no screen and Wazza's is similarly configured. I think Wazza was running large diameter slicks and I was running smaller (15in) diameter road [legal] tyres - Hoosier R6 -, I was sharing the car with Peter - Wazza split our best times. So I would say that there is relatively little in the distinction at that point.

When constructing the classing matrix I took inputs from many sources.

I think that the organisers of the Nationals should rightly be proud of every aspect of that event - including the classing system.

However, there are dozens of points that could be arbitarily used to classify entrants and by not using the same classing system as the Nationals ShelbyFest offer the opportunity for entrants to compete/compare results under a alternate view of a level playing field.

For example - (and if I'm reading the classing correctly) at the Nationals your 45year old 4.7/289 iron Windsor managed by a carby and points will be classed in with the relatively spritely fuel injected & computer controlled 346/5.7 alloy LS1 in the Street class - all other things being equal.

While there is no doubt that this is fair - at ShelbyFest these two cars would be in separate classes, (the 289 would be up against modified Coyotes and Lexus V8s) also fair. But perhaps providing for a different set of place getters.

My personal view is that it is ok for the two events to have different perspectives and see how they play out provided that they are conducted with good-will in an even and fair manner.

If you think that you have spotted an issue or believe that some aspect of the classing requires further discussion then please let us know.

We're grateful for the input.

ta
LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 01-03-2011 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: omitted example