View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
The tyre rating system isn't quite that simple. The UTQS (Uniform Tyre Quality grading System) for treadwear / traction / temperature ratings is an attempt to have a system for comparison of tyre properties. It’ s not perfect for a number of reason, but it at least provides some guidance.

Treadwear is based on a reference tyre that has a rating of 100, so a rating of 40 means the tyre will last 40% as long. Nothing else implied.

The traction rating is closer to a 'compound guide'. It is however a tyre’s traction rating on a wet road. Traction is rated as AA, A, B or C. AA is of course the highest rating.

Temperature is rated as A, B or C. It indicates a tyre’s resistance to building up heat (ie combination of generation and dissipation of heat). A is the highest rating.

Hope that helps.
Glen
Thanks Glen, I have read the UTQS, I thought by my using the word "guide" was suffice to indicate the relative inaccurate nature of the rating. .
The UTQS mentions, it is common for DOT racing tyres to be assigned very low values - sometimes even zero.
So, IMHO, a tire with a WR of 80 will PROBABLY be softer than one with 440 WR. This information, IMHO, can be a usefull part of the equation (as well as speed rating, reviews, recommendations etc) in choosing a specific performance catagory of tires - Extreme, Max, Ultra, Grand Touring etc.

Of course with race tires, actual testing is the only way to determine what the best compound is for that individual/car/race.

................uh, nevermind